Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Guitar players
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.10.2010, 08:52 PM   #21
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
You might be very pleased with the Les Paul if you switched out the pickups. My Les Paul has Gibson 57 Classic's in it and they are just right. Like I said, they're dark and lush, but can still be tight and punchy.

My friend has an Epiphone LP and he upgraded the pick-ups. I don't remember what he went with, but practically sounds as nice as my US Standard. The Studios are great. I was actually shopping for one when I came across a better deal on a Standard. I know if you upgrade the pick-ups, you'll have a nice guitar. You might want to read about different types. The Vintage series aren't really "hot" sounding like you might be wanting.

My strat has a "Seymor Duncan Pearly Gates" in the Bridge. This is the best sounding p/u I've ever heard and bar far my favorite p/u of all, on all my guitars. It's so versatile and so musical sounding. So, saying that, I'd REALLY recommend you checking them out.

.... like I said though, I personally prefer Fenders hands down. It'd just be a shame to see you loose a guitar with a lot of potential. Throw a set of Texas Specials in your strat and watch it come to life too.

I could yeah, but I dunno, I just liked how the jazzmaster sounds. I know, techincally it's a cheaper guitar, im trading down...but I just dug it...

plus Im tired of all black and love the look of the jazzmaster better, and sunburst is great. It's a lighter guitar too which is nice.

EDIT: as far as the strat, I'd never sell it. But I may consider putting some new pickups in it eventually....not a bad idea...
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2010, 10:30 PM   #22
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
You might be very pleased with the Les Paul if you switched out the pickups.

^^^^^^
what he said.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2010, 02:12 AM   #23
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
I could yeah, but I dunno, I just liked how the jazzmaster sounds. I know, techincally it's a cheaper guitar, im trading down...but I just dug it...

.... don't get me wrong, I would recommend the Fender, but that's my personal taste. I just wasn't trying to instill my taste on 'ya, as opposed to playing devils advocate, and throwing some suggestions, or potential with the LP. By all means, go for the Jazzmaster. I don't think you could go wrong. I play my LP least of all, but it's nice to have around for specific styles (especially when recording). My other two main are a HSS Strat and a Nashville Tele. Love them both equally.

As far as the Strat, if you like the MIJ one you have, it plays well, intonation and stays tuned, it'd definitely be worth considering a set of Lonestar Specials. You could probably get a set for under $100, ebay. They can have a lot bite, twang and still sound really full..... they break up nice... raunchy.

I have a kinda dated recording up, but playing through my Strat, Texas Special P/U, Middle Position. here: http://www.myspace.com/londonlodge

The song01- the lead-off guitar track is the Strat/Texas Special (including the feedback swells). Also, any of the bass'y rumbling you hear, especially when it slows down @ about 1:00, is the Strat, playing dropped-D tuning. Basically, the p/u's have bite and balls. Song03, I used the Strat (middle p/u) too. This time it's the second guitar, starting around 10secs. It's probably not the sound you're looking for, but can contest to the Texas Specials in the Strat.

Good luck, let us know what you do....

....also, I was gonna say, aside from the visual appeal that you mentioned.... fit and comfort have a lot to influence. The LP's are heavy as all fuck.... and if you're sitting, they don't sit right for balance and all. they don't feel like you've grabbed an instrument that's become a part of your body or even posture, they feel like your straddling something awkward that's an extra effort to wear.

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2010, 11:51 AM   #24
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Word man, oddly enough, do you know mock orange or just listen to them? When I checked out yr page I saw them on it. We've played a show with them before haha.

Strat sounds pretty good, almost typical though, I'll have to show ya what mine sounds like...
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2010, 02:15 PM   #25
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know Mock Orange. Really never heard of them until I played, and recorded with those guys on the Myspace. They thought my style, or sound reminded them of Mock Orange, so they referenced them. I like them though.... like them, in a went and downloaded their "Captain Love" album on LimeWire kinda way, if that counts. Their drummer is amazing, it'd have been worth it playing with them, just to meet him, perhaps kidnapping him, locking him in the basement, feeding him just enough crumbs to stay alive, bringing him out still shackled, sparingly, only when it's time to record. Make him a little percussion gimp.... [oops, did I say that out loud]

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth