Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page top 5 nirvana songs
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2010, 02:08 AM   #201
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Anorexorcist?

huh?

must investigate...
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2010, 11:00 PM   #202
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
So here's something interesting that happened to me a couple days ago, I didn't think it needed a new thread and since it does involve Nirvana....

Anyway, months and months back I was in a bookstore with my brother and the cashier tried flirting with me because she thought I looked "Just like Kurt Cobain" and went on about it. I didn't really pay too much attention, I get that thing somewhat regularly, but she was pretty so we talked for a few minutes. My brother and I left and I never thought I'd see her again. Over the next few months she would notice me around the area and tried to get to know me on facebook and what not. I learned she was a model, which was cool. She always was going on and on about how much she loved Nirvana and Kurt Cobain and how I "looked like just him". I never thought much of it at the time....

So earlier this week on Monday I ran into her again. We talked for a bit and she asked me if I wanted to finally hang out with her tonight since she lived in an apartment complex not too far from mine. With lack of anything better to do that day, I said sure. What followed was the weirdest event in my life to date.

We go back to her place, where she told me her boyfriend had recently moved out. We go into her room and she said she has an interesting story for me revolving around Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's music. She proceeds to tell me the most batshit crazy story I've ever heard. Before she knew their music, Kurt would apparently speak to her in her dreams and tell him how much he loved her. She would see his ghost wherever she went and the lights would often flicker in and out to signify he "was around her". She went to a psychic, and the psychic obviously could tell she was a little "off" so the psychic was able to convince her that her and Kurt were supposed to be together until he committed suicide. At this point, I begin to feel very uncomfortable about the whole thing but am honestly afraid to leave. So I keep listening and it gets weirder and weirder. The "spirit of Kurt" would randomly slip her money in random places and would have sexual dreams with her. Just on and on and on about this stuff, the story was over an hour long and only got stranger by the minute.

She then tells me she thinks her and I were "destined" to run into each other and that the spirit of Kurt came inside me when he died (I was four when he killed himself). At this point I'm trying to stay perfectly calm even though inside I'm very "concerned" for lack of a better word. She told me how hot she finds me, and that she wants to have sex with me and that it will be the most intense sex ever. I'm divided between "An attractive woman wants to fuck my brains out" and "A possibly psychotic yet attractive woman wants to fuck my brains out and God knows what else". I try to make an excuse or two, like how I had to leave before too long (Which was actually the truth), but she was just never stopped talking. Then out of NOWHERE she starts ranting about how upset and pissed she is with her ex boyfriend. She shows me to her mirror with a message she wrote for him when he left the apartment, and it was in red marker that stretched across the ENTIRE mirror like a horror movie or something, the message explaining how she will always be part of him and stuff like that. I only got past the first few sentences before walking into the other room, wanting nothing to do with this anymore.

She ended up crying and threatening suicide until I calmed her down. I left and she wants to hang out later this week. Round 2 for shenanigans, I suppose?

Sorry for the random post, thought it would make for an interesting story though.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2010, 11:24 PM   #203
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
Off the top of my head:
1.Serve the Servants-This wins by about a mile.
2.Aneurysm
3.Drain You
4.Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
5.Scentless Apprentice

Yeah, In Utero is far and away my favorite.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2010, 11:39 PM   #204
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
So here's something interesting that happened to me a couple days ago, I didn't think it needed a new thread and since it does involve Nirvana....

Anyway, months and months back I was in a bookstore with my brother and the cashier tried flirting with me because she thought I looked "Just like Kurt Cobain" and went on about it. I didn't really pay too much attention, I get that thing somewhat regularly, but she was pretty so we talked for a few minutes. My brother and I left and I never thought I'd see her again. Over the next few months she would notice me around the area and tried to get to know me on facebook and what not. I learned she was a model, which was cool. She always was going on and on about how much she loved Nirvana and Kurt Cobain and how I "looked like just him". I never thought much of it at the time....

So earlier this week on Monday I ran into her again. We talked for a bit and she asked me if I wanted to finally hang out with her tonight since she lived in an apartment complex not too far from mine. With lack of anything better to do that day, I said sure. What followed was the weirdest event in my life to date.

We go back to her place, where she told me her boyfriend had recently moved out. We go into her room and she said she has an interesting story for me revolving around Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's music. She proceeds to tell me the most batshit crazy story I've ever heard. Before she knew their music, Kurt would apparently speak to her in her dreams and tell him how much he loved her. She would see his ghost wherever she went and the lights would often flicker in and out to signify he "was around her". She went to a psychic, and the psychic obviously could tell she was a little "off" so the psychic was able to convince her that her and Kurt were supposed to be together until he committed suicide. At this point, I begin to feel very uncomfortable about the whole thing but am honestly afraid to leave. So I keep listening and it gets weirder and weirder. The "spirit of Kurt" would randomly slip her money in random places and would have sexual dreams with her. Just on and on and on about this stuff, the story was over an hour long and only got stranger by the minute.

She then tells me she thinks her and I were "destined" to run into each other and that the spirit of Kurt came inside me when he died (I was four when he killed himself). At this point I'm trying to stay perfectly calm even though inside I'm very "concerned" for lack of a better word. She told me how hot she finds me, and that she wants to have sex with me and that it will be the most intense sex ever. I'm divided between "An attractive woman wants to fuck my brains out" and "A possibly psychotic yet attractive woman wants to fuck my brains out and God knows what else". I try to make an excuse or two, like how I had to leave before too long (Which was actually the truth), but she was just never stopped talking. Then out of NOWHERE she starts ranting about how upset and pissed she is with her ex boyfriend. She shows me to her mirror with a message she wrote for him when he left the apartment, and it was in red marker that stretched across the ENTIRE mirror like a horror movie or something, the message explaining how she will always be part of him and stuff like that. I only got past the first few sentences before walking into the other room, wanting nothing to do with this anymore.

She ended up crying and threatening suicide until I calmed her down. I left and she wants to hang out later this week. Round 2 for shenanigans, I suppose?

Sorry for the random post, thought it would make for an interesting story though.

~Jeremy~

Crazy girls tend to be amazing in bed, but, they also tend to drive YOU crazy in the worst of ways (well, at least they do me). Sounds like she's dealing with some heavy shit that is having a rather unfortunate effect on her....maybe she's looking for some quick/instant gratification as a means of coping....who knows?

My advice: Hang out with her again...see where shit goes. You seem like a bright enough kid, so this should go without saying...just don't do ANYTHING that might cause ya to have some sort of emotional attachment until ya figure this chica out. More than anything, have FUN! Who knows, maybe she just needs a kick ass friend that looks like Kurt C. Who knows part 2, this shit could get very interesting for ya...just be on yr guard (esp w/ this recent break-up ex she has....)

Keep me updated...this little adventure of yrs sounds quite interesting.
Old 08.12.2010, 01:04 AM   #205
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
FUCK YES! I appreciate that In Utero as a document of a band clearly moving into a more experimental direction, but Bleach...just wow! Those vocals are still some of the most intense I've ever heard. Honesty was coming out of that dude's pores on that one.
Old 08.12.2010, 02:57 AM   #206
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy

~Jeremy~

Don't listen to SWAY dude...girls like this are the kind who killed Phil Hartman. Stay the fuck away. For real.
Old 08.12.2010, 03:06 AM   #207
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Girls like this have the potential of keeping things interesting. Sometimes.
Old 08.12.2010, 03:14 AM   #208
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Find a girl half as crazy, they are the ones worth keeping around. Find a chick to read your tarot cards. That's spirity enough.

Not the ones threatening suicide. They're the ones who'll pull a gun on you or cut yr dick off!
Old 08.12.2010, 03:19 AM   #209
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Or demand that you read their journals.

Some of the most interesting people I've ever met have been suicidal at one point or another. I sad thing, yes....

Like I said though (@ Jeremy)...PROCEED W/ CAUTION! YES! But I'd see how she behaves next time you hang out.
Old 08.12.2010, 03:31 AM   #210
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

threatening suicide in a private journal is totally different than talking about the spirit of kurt cobain and how you and basically a stranger you just met are "soul mates" and then threatening to kill yourself the first time you hang out with them is not really the norm.

Not saying I know what the "norm" is.
Old 08.12.2010, 03:37 AM   #211
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think all extremely intelligent people are suicidal, or have been at some point. At least in my experience...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2010, 03:40 AM   #212
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
threatening suicide in a private journal is totally different than talking about the spirit of kurt cobain and how you and basically a stranger you just met are "soul mates" and then threatening to kill yourself the first time you hang out with them is not really the norm.

Not saying I know what the "norm" is.

This is def NOT the norm. Sounds to me like one of those once in a lifetime David Lynchian opportunities. The type of experience that makes for a great campfire story...except it's real.

I mean, I'm not attempting to tell Jeremy what to do...more so just what I'd do. Sometimes things get toooo crazy, you can always back out.
Old 08.12.2010, 03:40 AM   #213
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think all extremely intelligent people are suicidal, or have been at some point. At least in my experience...

this.
Old 08.12.2010, 03:45 AM   #214
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
In Utero [...] experimental

Care to explain this one to me? I'm not trying to argue with you, but what was "experimental" in In Utero? There are two Teen Spirit rewrites, a dumb noisey punk song (Tourette's), an awesome noisey punk song (Very Ape), a midtempo cruddy grunge rocker that goes absolutely nowhere (Heat-Shaped Box), and a Melvins ripoff (Milk It). The rest of the thing is pretty much Nirvana-by-numbers, except for Dumb and All Apologies, I guess, even though they're fairly straightforward. I know Kurt used non-standard tuning at times, I'm no Nirvana afficianado but is this the first time he did that (besides "Something in the Way")?

It's not a bad album, though.. Dave's "Scentless Apprentice" rules (despite Kurt saying it sounded like a boring grunge rocker, the structure is amazing, and the drumbeat; the two-guitar live version of this song is amazing); Milk It -- while being a re-write of Melvins' "It's Shoved" -- has those neat double guitar cleaned detuned tinkerings that almost remind me of something Fugazi would do... Radio Friendly Unit Shifter has some sickass noise... I think "Marigold" is their most experimental song and it's not even on the album...

Just curious.. where do you see them as going after this album, if they'd continued? Just lots of acoustic songs?

Old 08.12.2010, 03:49 AM   #215
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Actually, that reminds me, I always thought In Utero reminded me of a band with writer's block, for the most part. Kurt's an interesting guitar player, but the songs that people really liked, like the stuff on Nevermind, were mostly power chord fests, with guitar solos that played the vocal melody exactly. I think he was trying to write half an album that would appeal to the Nevermind crowd (the dull stuff, like Rape Me, Pennyroyal Tea, All Apologies), and then he was writing some more interesting stuff too (Dumb, Very Ape). That album's just never sat well with me because it feels like Kurt wanted it to be one way, and something or someone (or a group of someones) decided he needed to go in a different direction.

Kurt really was a master of great riffs though, so that makes the dull songs a damn shame. Negative Creep is so awesome!!!

By the way, for Nirvana fans, anyone remember that Killing Joke album a few years back, that had Dave Grohl playing drums on it? Was that part of the lawsuit they won where they sued Nirvana for the Come As You Are riff?

I really love Nirvana, I know many years ago I made some Kurt Cobain jokes that pissed people off, but I think Nirvana were an excellent band... even though Kurt was a very flawed person, he was inspiring and intelligent. We have absolutely no one to look up to nowadays, as far as a mainstream rock hero. No one could write such ugly melodies that somehow worked... seriously, some of those melodies sound so wrong on paper, but they get caught in your head ("About a Girl" is achingly beautiful and tragically ugly at the same time -- but it works!). He was also a great guitar player... unconventional at times.. "Lithium" has always been weird to me, in the verses.. I love how sloppy he was, listen to "Aneurysm".. but it worked. They were never completely controlled, but never so ugly they couldn't play. Just a great little band.

I really wish the Pat-Smear-on-guitar 4-piece configuration of the band had made an album, his playing totally ruled (I mean, the Germs do have some of the best riffs ever written under their belt), and I think it would have made their following album more experimental and awesome, if he was allowed creative control.

Old 08.12.2010, 05:16 AM   #216
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Care to explain this one to me? I'm not trying to argue with you, but what was "experimental" in In Utero? There are two Teen Spirit rewrites, a dumb noisey punk song (Tourette's), an awesome noisey punk song (Very Ape), a midtempo cruddy grunge rocker that goes absolutely nowhere (Heat-Shaped Box), and a Melvins ripoff (Milk It). The rest of the thing is pretty much Nirvana-by-numbers, except for Dumb and All Apologies, I guess, even though they're fairly straightforward. I know Kurt used non-standard tuning at times, I'm no Nirvana afficianado but is this the first time he did that (besides "Something in the Way")?

It's not a bad album, though.. Dave's "Scentless Apprentice" rules (despite Kurt saying it sounded like a boring grunge rocker, the structure is amazing, and the drumbeat; the two-guitar live version of this song is amazing); Milk It -- while being a re-write of Melvins' "It's Shoved" -- has those neat double guitar cleaned detuned tinkerings that almost remind me of something Fugazi would do... Radio Friendly Unit Shifter has some sickass noise... I think "Marigold" is their most experimental song and it's not even on the album...

Just curious.. where do you see them as going after this album, if they'd continued? Just lots of acoustic songs?

Well, while most days I much prefer Bleach to In Utero, I do feel as if the band's influences are far easier to pick out on that album. Melvins and Scratch Acid are written all over Bleach. Not a bad thing as he strongly identified with these bands and wanted to share an audience. Normal for most younger musicians.

W/ Nevermind, it's clear (to me...) that Kurt was wanting something a little more radio-friendly, w/out a total disregard of artistic integrity. I think he ended up regretting that in some ways (note: I DO enjoy Nevermind). I also think shortly after that album Kurt was becoming forced to deal with real life adult issues of a sort he'd never had predicted. Becoming a father, dealing w/ all the negative literature regarding him being fit to be a father, a wife, a drug problem on the rise, everything else that has been mentioned many a time over. In Utero just sounds much more honest to me. A new approach for the band. And while some of those earlier influences are still obvious, they aren't nearly as obvious. Not to me. Whenever I hear that album it just sounds as if the band was maturing a bit...still using some of the older concepts on their palette, but trying new things...getting a bit "noisier", a bit "heavier", and in some instances (heart shaped box, rape me, all apologies) a bit "prettier". The album goes into several different directions, many moods expressed.

I would by no means call it an "experimental album"...whatever that means...but it does sound as if the band was experimenting a bit more than they had in the past. I could be wrong, + maybe this is just what I choose to believe. I'm def one of those that fall under that Nick Cave "all music is experimental" school of thought. I mean, it takes a lot of experimentation even to blantantly rip off another band. Lot's of trial and error.

And yeah...again...the Melvins can be heard, but at the same time I can hear a lot of Black Flag in some of that early Melvins stuff (think: My War).

As far as what I think a future Nirvana might have done...who knows? It's something I (like many others who grew up with a strong admiration for the band) have spent countless hours considering. All I know is that Kurt mentioned an interest in doing two things toward the end there. 1) Something "noisy" like "Sonic Youth + Butthole Surfers" (he did specifically mention these two bands, + 2) He also mentioned going solo + in an acoustic direction. I think both would have happened, most likely.

Kurt's guitar playing (while intense and sometimes pretty) fell short a bit in the "multidimensional" department. His straight up noisier stuff (heard in the way of outros, that "priest they called him" record w/ Burroughs, etc, was thick + heavy in the way one could almost clamp their teeth into it, breaking them in the process. But whose to say that's what he would have done with "noisier"???

I have a feeling he would have thrived a bit more in the way of self-satisfaction + success w/ the solo/acoustic approach...but then again, who knows?

The real thing to consider for me now at the age of 27 is this:

We will never know what this individual would have been doing from the perspective of a middle aged man...followed by me closing the book on the whole subject.
Old 08.12.2010, 06:02 AM   #217
flashlight69
bad moon rising

flashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's asses
in bloom
heart shaped box
about a girl
flashlight69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2010, 06:08 AM   #218
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The real thing to consider for me now at the age of 27 is this:

We will never know what this individual would have been doing from the perspective of a middle aged man...followed by me closing the book on the whole subject.

i think he would have gone solo, but under a moniker, and done loads of bluesey stuff, wasn't he really into leadbelly towards the end? it would have been good.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2010, 07:54 AM   #219
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
i think he would have gone solo, but under a moniker, and done loads of bluesey stuff, wasn't he really into leadbelly towards the end? it would have been good.

Yeah, lots of leadbelly. Those recording he did w/ mark lanegen are fantastic.
Old 08.12.2010, 07:56 AM   #220
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, lots of leadbelly. Those recording he did w/ mark lanegen are fantastic.

I haven't heard those, i still think he would have killed himself though, in his 30's or 40's
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth