Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page why don't hipsters like jam bands?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.13.2011, 09:07 PM   #1
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Seems to me that they would. But there's really little to no crossover between the two fanbases, except for the odd indie band citing the Dead as an influence. I say unity!

Oh, and Ween fans kinda straddle the gap too.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2011, 11:10 PM   #2
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Because hipters are fickle.

And Ween fan are the worst. Saw them in 2004 and they were all CRACKHEADS.

If you think they were crackheads in '04, you should have seen them in the '90s.

But "worst"? Heavens no. Of all the broad-scope indie bands with fanbases consisting of jam-heads (Pavement, Flaming lips- big hippie following there, Malkmus and the Jicks, Dinosaur Jr, Blitzen Trapper, Animal Collective, our very own sweet Sonic Youth, etc.) Ween are far from the worst.

Ween is (are?) one of my favorite bands. I've loved them since I first heard them (94) and I love them still. Don't judge them based on their La-Cucaracha era shows, when they were supporting Sebadoh. That's not the Ween that Ween fans grew up with. It's still Ween, but not nearly as interesting as the bulk of their career in the 90s.

Ween is: GodWeenSatan, the Pod, Chocolate and Cheese, 12 Golden Country Greats, and the Mollusk.

gfb.
Great fucking band.
Old 11.13.2011, 11:13 PM   #3
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Because hipters are fickle.

And Ween fan are the worst. Saw them in 2004 and they were all CRACKHEADS.

Whoops... sorry, I thought you said "Ween is the worst".

I can't speak to their fans. They pop up in the weirdest places. Not the most social lot; nerdy beyond calculation, but they follow Ween like some follow Phish. And Ween is great at jamming, and should do more of it.

Still waiting for a "WEEN LIVE AT REDROCKS". lol.
Old 11.14.2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
I thought the Mars Volta had the worst fans?

edit: I love Ween by the way.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2011, 09:14 AM   #5
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Why don't hipsters like jam bands?

I realized this while being forced to watch a Phish DVD:

1- GUITAR SOLOS. Except for Television, no one may solo. It's a rule. (And genrally speaking, a very good rule)

2- They simply CAN'T ROCK OUT. Drummers in jam bands don't know how to smack their snare on the two-and-four. They can perform all sorts of technical feats, but when it comes to just rockin' a-la The Ramones, they're lost.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2011, 10:44 AM   #6
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Why don't hipsters like jam bands?

I realized this while being forced to watch a Phish DVD:

1- GUITAR SOLOS. Except for Television, no one may solo. It's a rule. (And genrally speaking, a very good rule)

2- They simply CAN'T ROCK OUT. Drummers in jam bands don't know how to smack their snare on the two-and-four. They can perform all sorts of technical feats, but when it comes to just rockin' a-la The Ramones, they're lost.

No guitar solos/rocking out?

Sonic Youth?
Dinosaur Jr?
Nirvana?
Jicks
Broken Social Scene?
All Math Rock?

Not "solos" in the traditional sense (except for Malkmus and Dino), but solos. And rocking out? C'mon.

But it does seem that modern hipsters are more interested in rip-offs of ancient Depeche Mode tracks than they are in chops.

Also, bands like Phish have really similar senses of humor to those of the cooky early alt. indie bands. I think most Slanted and Enchanted fans could find something to like in Junta.

Plus, the entire idea of "noise" being integrated into rock was, arguably, due to the influence of jammers. Even the Velvets jammed.
Old 11.14.2011, 10:47 AM   #7
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
When did they support SEBADOH ? Circa 2007?

Um, yes.
Old 11.14.2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Awful thread.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2011, 12:25 PM   #9
jnic
little trouble girl

jnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's asses
My 2 favorite Bands are sonic Youth and Phish.
Before you go bashing me, I would like to say i do NOT consider Phish to be a jamband. That is a dumb label the media gave phish after Garcia died. Phish is just a great American Band who can play all styles of music. Yes, each show is different, and versions of songs will vary slightly from performance to performance.
I personally hate all those "jambands" like Widespread panic, moe, string cheese garbage, etc.......
As for the comment above about drummers, listen to fucking Jon Fishman. The guy can rock the fuck out on the 4's as good as anyone else. His Hi-Hat work can rival Steve Shelley's
jnic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2011, 12:29 PM   #10
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Awful thread.

agreed.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2011, 01:03 PM   #11
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Awful thread.

absolutely.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2011, 03:14 PM   #12
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnic
My 2 favorite Bands are sonic Youth and Phish.
Before you go bashing me, I would like to say i do NOT consider Phish to be a jamband. That is a dumb label the media gave phish after Garcia died. Phish is just a great American Band who can play all styles of music. Yes, each show is different, and versions of songs will vary slightly from performance to performance.
I personally hate all those "jambands" like Widespread panic, moe, string cheese garbage, etc.......
As for the comment above about drummers, listen to fucking Jon Fishman. The guy can rock the fuck out on the 4's as good as anyone else. His Hi-Hat work can rival Steve Shelley's

I like Phish well enough. I think also that people who appreciate the complexity of SY could easily embrace the similarly iconic, sometimes equally challenging work of Phish.

Pavement's Terror Twilight... fans of that album should have no trouble digesting Junta or Story of the Ghost. And SY fans would like the Siket Disc, I believe.
Old 11.14.2011, 03:15 PM   #13
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Wow, that bad? My day is now a failure.
Old 11.14.2011, 03:37 PM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know and most certainly I do not care. Here's a picture of a tree. Imagine all the nice things that you could do with it.

Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2011, 03:54 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Awful thread.

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2011, 03:58 PM   #16
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
This board has exhausted what hipster's like or don't like. At this point we don't care, actually we never cared.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2011, 01:11 AM   #17
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
i really love the other girl's shirt
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2011, 12:31 PM   #18
jnic
little trouble girl

jnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's asses
"I like Phish well enough. I think also that people who appreciate the complexity of SY could easily embrace the similarly iconic, sometimes equally challenging work of Phish.

Pavement's Terror Twilight... fans of that album should have no trouble digesting Junta or Story of the Ghost. And SY fans would like the Siket Disc, I believe."

For me personally, I really discovered and got into both SY & Phish at the same time, back in 1992 and understood them both. Yeah, Phish's Siket Disc would be a great start for an SY fan wanting to check the phish and I think Washing Machine is a great album for phish fans to check out. I've also always wanted to see Phish cover Hits of Sunshine. I think they would do it nice justice. BTW, nice to see another phish fan here!
jnic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2011, 12:36 PM   #19
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Do they still like Pabst Blue Ribbon or is it the high life now?

I think it's more PBR. But fuck. I like 'em both. Seriously...I'm used to it after being forced to buy 30 racks of beer for parties....

High Life>PBR.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2011, 12:36 PM   #20
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I love Kreayshawn.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth