Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Fuck You !@#$%!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.02.2006, 11:09 PM   #81
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
That is a harsh story.

Noumenal, you are sounding particularly comfortable in the vacuum-bubble world of higher academia today.
Sayin'.

Yes, I like what I'm doing, but I'm well aware of the "vacuum-bubble." When I was at Vanderbilt, we called it the Vander-Bubble. It's pretty bad in music; there seems to be no real-world relevance to a lot of what goes on. And there is a lot of mutual masturbation going on - especially at the conferences. But there is a turn towards relevance - it just takes time because people are so set in their ways. The most depressing are the composers - man, those guys have their heads up their asses. At least with theory, there is a practical side to it. Musicians need to learn theory and there is a big move towards making theory more relevant to what people are actually doing. So theory is dividing into historians who write about Beethoven and guys who focus on all forms of contemporary music. Both are important, IMO. Two things could fix the "bubble" problem: 1. Better music education in the public school system. It should be a much larger part of curriculums. 2. A move towards relevance, which means really opening the doors to popular music studies. Some people think that the academic study of popular music is antithetical to the very nature of popular music, especially rock. But I disagree, I think the anti-intellectual attitude never did anyone any good.

I have a colleague who is a doctoral student here. He went to Berklee College of Music in Boston and is an excellent jazz guitarist. He's getting his Ph.D. in Music Theory for some reason (?) and he hates that he is forced to study classical theory almost exclusively. He has a point, but it goes both ways - you have to meet in the middle. If you have no appreciation for classical music, you shouldn't be studying music. We debate about this stuff a lot.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:10 PM   #82
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laila
hahahah oh savage clone

so marley, who is that person in your sig pic?

Yes, It is J.Mascis. I'm using this pic as my sig in honor of getting to see them in concert next week.

Speaking of Dinosaur Jr., this one goes out to !@#$%!

"Why Don't You Like Me!"
-J.Mascis
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:13 PM   #83
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
In my view, if you aren't planning on getting a Ph.D., then getting a Master's is kind of pointless, especially in the arts.

I agree. The only reason I'd get my Masters is if somehow I decide that I'd want to teach.....I don't see this happening any time soon.
Old 04.02.2006, 11:14 PM   #84
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Why don't you just stay home and listen to Sonic Youth? They are way better anyways.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:15 PM   #85
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
how does everyone know who that is except me? you can't even see his bloody face!!! haha that thing about 75% of the board being blocked out if we all ignored marley was funny. haha. i still like marley, he's nice.
Laila is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:17 PM   #86
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Noumenal:
I'm the farthest thing from "anti-intellectual," or even "anti-academic" really.
You knew what I meant, I could tell. A lot of what you say makes sense.
To academia: I personally had a disillusioning and nearly completely unfulfilling college experience. Had I not gone I would not know now how distasteful it is to someone of my temperament. However, I do think that if it's an environment one feels comfortable in, it can be a nice life where you get paid to indulge your own esoteric interests in a way that is impossible in the non-academic world. That's nice in its way; I just personally found that environment unbearable, that's all. I did well in college, but I felt the experience to be ultimately unrewarding.
I also like that the debt I carry is for a house, rather than piles of student loans amassing far higher amounts.

I agree with a lot of the rest of your post.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:18 PM   #87
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Laila:

It's just a really well known photo of J., that's all.
-George Carlin
Old 04.02.2006, 11:19 PM   #88
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I like how mp's FUCK YOU post has turned into a chit-chat session.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:21 PM   #89
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Best case scenario.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:21 PM   #90
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

I was just thinking the same thing.
-George Carlin
Old 04.02.2006, 11:25 PM   #91
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laila
how does everyone know who that is except me? you can't even see his bloody face!!! haha that thing about 75% of the board being blocked out if we all ignored marley was funny. haha. i still like marley, he's nice.

i know because i did a book about dino jr as a project for my editorial design class like a year ago and that's one of the first dino pics google spits out
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:27 PM   #92
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I can't recognize young J mascis anymore because images like this of him are burned in my mind.

Same thing with Kevin Shields.
http://www.kwmusica.kataweb.it/kwmus...?idImage=63783

I like Dino Jr. and MBV, but I disagree with a lot of their perspectives on music. Kevin Shields is pretty much a dirty hippy that happens to make good music, and J. Mascis is a single coil jazzmaster loving douche that can write a good raucous pop song.

Jim Reid could outfeedback them any day!
Old 04.02.2006, 11:30 PM   #93
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

SJIND:

I know. when I first saw J. in concert, it was w/ J.Mascis+The Fog, & while he was setting up I didn't realise it was him. But, still can't wait to see Dino Jr.
-George Carlin
Old 04.02.2006, 11:42 PM   #94
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Yeah, I was going to go see Dinosaur Jr. when they came to pittsburgh, but I didn't have any mode of transportation.
Old 04.02.2006, 11:46 PM   #95
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Hey, I'm sorry you didn't get to see them. My transportation is my mom, which is much worse then a bus or something. (ha ha)
-George Carlin
Old 04.02.2006, 11:47 PM   #96
spiritbears
bad moon rising

spiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-festspiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
i don't know....
marley has said some really naive dumb-shit things....
but i think he means well....
I don't think he is a bad person...just naive.....
i don't plan to ignore him....for now....
Old 04.02.2006, 11:53 PM   #97
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Amaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud of
I don't get to the gossip room too much, but I have no problem with the two here who are at odds. Marleypumkin is a nice person. !@#$%! is cool, too.
Amaranth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 11:53 PM   #98
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Thanks spiritbears. I try to be as nice a person as possible, & I truly am sorry if I ever have offended anyone on any subject matter. Please forgive me.

-EDIT-
Thank you Amaranth. Like I said, I try to be as nice as possible.
-George Carlin
Old 04.03.2006, 12:06 AM   #99
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

I just like to pick on people.

Amaranth, you never answered my question from the other thread. Can I have your baby? I always wanted to adopt.
Old 04.03.2006, 12:54 AM   #100
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Amaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud of
whats scary is you are not the first person who has asked to have her! whats even scarier is that the other person who asked to have her was an old man at the dr.'s office.

the answer ofcorse is no!

Amaranth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth