Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Coronavirus
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.09.2020, 12:48 AM   #1401
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
It's hard for me to do the precise math from here, given that I can't only consider the, let's say, "cheque" each Australian is getting as a relief from this disaster; elements like tax exemptions, if there are any, have to be factored in as well, and there's also the matter that we're talking about a federal country and not all regions may be implementing the same measures. What I can say with a degree of certainty, inasmuch as it's been published by several credible media outlets, is that the federal government passed legislation for a $1,500 per fortnight wage subsidy for eligible employers; fine print exists everywhere, though.

In any case, I bet my collection of Go-Between albums that the fucking pandemonium circumstances are considerably better for the average Australian than for the average Unitedstatesean. Or for the average mook in my own country, for that matter.
yeah just backing this up I was supported by this from March to September and it equated to $1500/fortnight (less tax), but started getting wound back thereafter (tightened eligibilities, reduced rates etc.) ironically as things truly started to hit the fucking fan down in melbourne. it was a good initiative that was targeted terribly and was ripe for exploitation by businesses, and was in certain instances used as a means of raising tax revenues on people in the form of picking up and being balanced against arrears. also was inherently ideological in nature – arts orgs exempt, as were local government councils and universities (the presiding government loathes all of the above), and also played into some bizarre conceptions as to what constituted 'valuable' work. government were forced into it because they had no choice, but on a federal level they've resisted undertaking any meaningful action on anything and have tried to undo any goodwill engendered by ripping away support just as the country begins to crumble, masquerading as if the pandemic is over.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2020, 04:24 AM   #1402
Robert Schunk
Banned

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
yeah just backing this up I was supported by this from March to September and it equated to $1500/fortnight (less tax), but started getting wound back thereafter (tightened eligibilities, reduced rates etc.) ironically as things truly started to hit the fucking fan down in melbourne. it was a good initiative that was targeted terribly and was ripe for exploitation by businesses, and was in certain instances used as a means of raising tax revenues on people in the form of picking up and being balanced against arrears. also was inherently ideological in nature – arts orgs exempt, as were local government councils and universities (the presiding government loathes all of the above), and also played into some bizarre conceptions as to what constituted 'valuable' work. government were forced into it because they had no choice, but on a federal level they've resisted undertaking any meaningful action on anything and have tried to undo any goodwill engendered by ripping away support just as the country begins to crumble, masquerading as if the pandemic is over.

I definitely hear you, particularly concerning the class bias of the exemptions (bourgeois bastions such as arts organizations and universities), yet the whole idea of "woke" ideology is the support of the bourgeoisie and lumpenproletariate at the expense of workers and farmers, just as, in my country, President Elect (?) Biden promises forgiveness of Federal student loans, which will certainly provide a massive subsidy to the petite bourgeoisie at the expense of workers and farmers!

Some clarification, though. When you say "the presiding government loathes all of the above" do you mean the State of Victoria, or the Federal government? And could you expand on your statement: "but on a federal level they've resisted undertaking any meaningful action on anything and have tried to undo any goodwill engendered by ripping away support just as the country begins to crumble, masquerading as if the pandemic is over."? Are you saying that the federal government is ceasing financial support while the epidemic is worsening?
Robert Schunk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2020, 06:38 AM   #1403
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

haaahaaahaaaa
first time i see that one
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2020, 07:41 AM   #1404
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schunk
Are you saying that the federal government is ceasing financial support while the epidemic is worsening?
Yes. It's not worsening, but it's exactly what they're doing.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2020, 07:58 AM   #1405
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Over here we have an increase in infections again, possibly because everybody went to the shops for Black Friday last week. It was so crowded in the big city centers that shops were ordered to close early.
Stupid American traditions. We inherit them all except for the pardoning of the turkeys.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2020, 08:52 AM   #1406
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
it appears you’ve convinced the public (or at least the vast majority of the public) that they are being attacked by an apocalyptic plague that causes mild to moderate flu-like symptoms (or, more commonly, no symptoms at all) in 95% of those infected and that over 99.7% survive, and thus we have to cancel constitutional rights, let government officials rule by decree, devastate the economy (or at least small businesses), have global corporations censor all dissent, force everyone to wear medical-looking masks, put whole societies under house arrest, psychologically terrorize children, and otherwise transform the planet into one big paranoid, totalitarian theme park.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2020, 09:19 AM   #1407
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
According to the latest immunological studies, the overall infection fatality rate (IFR) of covid-19 in the general population is about 0.1% to 0.5% in most countries, which is comparable to the medium influenza pandemics of 1957 and 1968.

The estimated number of deaths for the 1968 epidemic was 1 million worldwide and about 100,000 in the United States. It was 116,000 deaths in the United States for the 1957 epidemic.

So far America is on 287,000 deaths during this current pandemic and it's just gonna keep going up.along with that the long term effects of getting it are also only beginning to show themselves. But hey, that's nothing, right? Here's hoping your family dies from it so you can wake up yourself. May sound harsh but the reason there are so many deaths is because of idiots like you.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2020, 01:20 PM   #1408
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Took part in the mass-screening today and did the human blockhead. I was tested negative.

People out there are still behaving like idiots. The numbers have gone back a good bit since mid-November, but they're still pretty damn bad. 2686 new infections today.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2020, 02:01 PM   #1409
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
Took part in the mass-screening today and did the human blockhead. I was tested negative.

People out there are still behaving like idiots. The numbers have gone back a good bit since mid-November, but they're still pretty damn bad. 2686 new infections today.
we had 3000 dead yesterday alone
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2020, 02:29 PM   #1410
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
we had 3000 dead yesterday alone

Yeah, what's happening in the states is an absolute fucking tragedy. The sooner that orange buffoon is out, the better.

We're at about 4000 since the beginning of the pandemic now. There's an enormous gap indeed. But it's still far too much around here. Especially considering the whole country only has about the population of NYC. And apart from Vienna (which sits at a cool 2 mill), none of the other larger cities even have a population of half a million (Graz coming closest at 443.066). And lots of stretches of land are rather sparsely populated. Given that fact, Austria even overtook the states in terms of new infections relative to the overall population about a month ago. Fortunately, that wasn't the case for the death toll as well (might have something to do with the healthcare system), but it still skyrocketed in the last few months. No contest, really. Just saying, things aren't exactly great here, either. Close to 3000 infected per day is still far too many for a country with a population shy of 9 Million.

Old 12.10.2020, 04:44 PM   #1411
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not wholly convinced Orange Cheeto officially exiting will have much effect. There are some who are going to refuse to follow guidelines and mandates regardless of who orders or doesn't order them.
Old 12.10.2020, 04:54 PM   #1412
Antagon
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
I'm not wholly convinced Orange Cheeto officially exiting will have much effect. There are some who are going to refuse to follow guidelines and mandates regardless of who orders or doesn't order them.

The damage has been done. It will be a long way. But I'd imagine someone not actively hindering progress in the fight against Covid just might have some effect. The situation would have been dire even without Cheeto in Chief, but he actively exacerbated things and fanned the flames of a culture of ignorance and disinformation. So the steps that will have to be taken after he leaves office can't be a cure-all. But in order to progress somehow, you gotta take baby steps sometimes. Trump on the other hand is an ill-tempered baby that steps on any attempt at a serious conversation and made things so much worse than they would've already been. Yes, many will still not adhere to the mandates. But on a policy level,one would hope, there will certainly be a few changes. It's not going to be an overnight thing, that's for certain. It's all about keeping the next worst-case-scenario at bay now.

Old 12.10.2020, 07:07 PM   #1413
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to h8kurdt again.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2020, 07:09 PM   #1414
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

You're in SD, right? From The Washington Post:

Covid-19 becomes personal in a South Dakota town as neighbors die and the town debates a mask mandate

A city council member in Mitchell, S.D., tried to introduce a mask mandate and was ridiculed. Since then, the town has been inundated with the coronavirus, with the hospital bursting to capacity and a 38 percent positivity rate. Now the town council is trying again.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 12.10.2020, 10:03 PM   #1416
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
i'm still waiting for someone to point out the in-writing rights that masks infringe on, and i may have a better time talking to a wall with fresh wet paint on it.
Old 12.11.2020, 01:16 PM   #1417
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Some fucked up shit from The Washington Post:

Quote:
See exactly how airborne coronavirus spreads, using infrared footage

To visually illustrate the risk of airborne transmission in real time, The Post used an infrared camera capable of detecting exhaled breath.

As winter approaches, the United States is grappling with a jaw-dropping surge in the number of novel coronavirus infections. More than 288,000 Americans have been killed by a virus that public health officials now say can be spread through airborne transmission.

The virus spreads most commonly through close contact, scientists say. But under certain conditions, people farther than six feet apart can become infected by exposure to tiny droplets and particles exhaled by an infected person, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in October. Those droplets and particles can linger in the air for minutes to hours.

To visually illustrate the risk of airborne transmission in real time, The Washington Post used a military-grade infrared camera capable of detecting exhaled breath. Numerous experts — epidemiologists, virologists and engineers — supported the notion of using exhalation as a conservative proxy to show potential transmission risk in various settings.

“The images are very, very telling,” said Rajat Mittal, a professor of mechanical engineering in Johns Hopkins University’s medical and engineering schools and an expert on virus transmission. “Getting two people and actually visualizing what’s happening between them, that’s very invaluable.”

The highly sensitive camera system detects variations in infrared radiation that are not visible to the naked eye. The technology is more typically used in military and industrial settings, such as detecting methane gas leaks in pipelines. In 2013, it was deployed by law enforcement during the 20-hour manhunt for the Boston Marathon bombers.

But fitted with a filter that specifically targets the infrared signature of carbon dioxide, the camera can be used to map in real time the partial path of the nearly invisible particles we exhale.

According to experts, the footage underrepresents the potential risk of exposure from airborne particles. Those particles may spread farther or linger longer than the visible exhalation plume, which dissipates quickly to a level of concentration the camera can no longer detect.

Environmental factors such as airflow in a space, wind and sunlight can reduce the chances of spread, as can such behavioral factors as mask-wearing and social distancing. The risk of exposure increases when people are not wearing masks and are close together in an enclosed space or in an area with poor ventilation.

Many of those circumstances will become more common as Americans increasingly spend time indoors in the coming months. Watch the video at the top of the page to see footage from various settings.

Old 12.14.2020, 10:18 AM   #1418
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Hurrah again! Next to Germany and probably some other European countries, the Netherlands is going into lockdown until 19 January

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2020, 01:09 AM   #1419
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
i'm still waiting for someone to point out the in-writing rights that masks infringe on

Precisely because no such bullshit exists, this is a leadership problem. "Mask debate" is the dumbest fucking thing I've heard in my life. MANDATORY USE OF FACE MASKS EVERYWHERE, NOW. Oh, you don't like it? Meanie masky too itchy for yer lil' freedumb? You're gonna go whine to SCOTUS, arentcha? THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU, you selfish prick, it's about the people you're gonna kill with your pestilent breath. If you wanna die as well, down some Johnnie Walker, grab a handgun and put a bullet in your retarded brain - it'll be faster and we'll all be better off.

Old 12.15.2020, 01:11 AM   #1420
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

61686970 71 72737481 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth