Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Which movie should I watch?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.01.2008, 06:04 AM   #21
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Okay.

The Sonic Youth reference was just kind of out of place.. she listens to "Superstar" for 1.5 seconds and goes "YEAH!!! THIS IS GREEEEAT!!!!!!!"
A few seconds that didn't even have the background guitar effects. Might as well have listened to the original Carpenters version.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 08:13 AM   #22
leakyheadboy
bad moon rising

leakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's asses
why does everyone say that film is good?.... i swear it just sucked so much balls.... it was wooden, gimmicky and pro life.... its pantyslime

leakyheadboy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 08:15 AM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't find it good nor bad. But Ellen Page is cute.

Also appreciated the Dario Argento and H.G. Lewis references, which have no real bearing on the film overall but it is kind of interesting that they mentioned those directors in particular.. because even the worst films by both of those directors is 100x better than Juno.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 08:21 AM   #24
Mostly Harmless
bad moon rising

Mostly Harmless kicks all y'all's assesMostly Harmless kicks all y'all's assesMostly Harmless kicks all y'all's assesMostly Harmless kicks all y'all's assesMostly Harmless kicks all y'all's assesMostly Harmless kicks all y'all's assesMostly Harmless kicks all y'all's assesMostly Harmless kicks all y'all's assesMostly Harmless kicks all y'all's assesMostly Harmless kicks all y'all's assesMostly Harmless kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakyheadboy
why does everyone say that film is good?.... i swear it just sucked so much balls.... it was wooden, gimmicky and pro life.... its pantyslime

I'm almost positive they didn't mean for it to be prolife.
I think that's part of the reason they put in that scene where Juno sees her Asian friend protesting was to give a hint that it wasn't nessacerily prolife. Because the script kind of made her sound idealistic, unrealistic, and naive- "Yr baby has fingernails!"
I love Rainn Wilson's little role in that movie so much.
"Yr eggo is preggo."
Old 08.01.2008, 09:00 AM   #25
leakyheadboy
bad moon rising

leakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless
I'm almost positive they didn't mean for it to be prolife.
I think that's part of the reason they put in that scene where Juno sees her Asian friend protesting was to give a hint that it wasn't nessacerily prolife. Because the script kind of made her sound idealistic, unrealistic, and naive- "Yr baby has fingernails!"
I love Rainn Wilson's little role in that movie so much.
"Yr eggo is preggo."

yes it made her sound idealistic and naive... the asian girl's innocence leads the viewer to sympathize with her and her views... What if that character was some crazy evangelical? or even a man? the use of the timid young female character allowed for pro life views to be gently slipped into the film (although i feel that it wasn't so gentle) in way so as not to offend but to softly solfty push a pro life agenda to a teenage audience.

Old 08.01.2008, 09:44 AM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno, I never got any pro-life vibes from the movie, it was just a low-key comedy.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 10:17 AM   #27
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
watch public access.

(this is a joke referencing another thread.)

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 10:32 AM   #28
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yes it made her sound idealistic and naive... the asian girl's innocence leads the viewer to sympathize with her and her views... What if that character was some crazy evangelical? or even a man? the use of the timid young female character allowed for pro life views to be gently slipped into the film (although i feel that it wasn't so gentle) in way so as not to offend but to softly solfty push a pro life agenda to a teenage audience.
Hot damn are you over thinking this movie. What does it matter even if it is pro-life? You criticize movies on subtle political points?
Old 08.01.2008, 10:43 AM   #29
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Isn't it more realistic to have different friends with different opinions as characters in a movie like this?

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 10:46 AM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
long live balls-deep insertion
Old 08.01.2008, 10:49 AM   #31
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
nolan's a good director.

im starting to appreciate him more and more. i didnt like memento when it first came out, because i thought all the out of sequence stuff was to mask a plot that was more or less weak. then i figured, who gives a fuck? there are way shittier plots out there done way less cool and stylish and new and innovative, so, i dig memento now. the prestige was way cool. love batman begins. the dark knight might be the best film of the decade. i finally saw following, and that is a headfuck. insomnia sucks, only magor misstep so far. but yea, nolan is definitley a top notch director, cant wait to see what he does with the millions he made off the dark knight.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 11:02 AM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Hot damn are you over thinking this movie. What does it matter even if it is pro-life? You criticize movies on subtle political points?

hell yeah, why do you study humanities if it's not to do that?

anyway, im all for combatting bullshit ideologies that are force-fed to people or slipped as convenient movie suppositories, but on the other hand, led to an extreme, this will suck the fun out of everything.

juno was a cute movie (ellen page's face & dialogue) but also a bit annoying ("movvee with a messagggge!").

but ANYWAY, on the subject of political points, yeah, jason reitman, the director IS political, i mean, he's a libertarian, and thank you for smoking is a libertarian movie, and the director has spoken about it, and how can a movie about abortion vs. adoption NOT be political in this day & age? it's naive to assume it's not.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 11:23 AM   #33
leakyheadboy
bad moon rising

i guess the film just rubbed me up the wrong way... it pissed me off cos there were loads of kids in the audience and i felt the film's message suggested that a girl has no real choice... its probably true that i get paranoid about shit sometimes that other people don't get... with regards to Mangajunky's point: juno was way too easily swayed by the asian girls few comments... in fact this tiny incident seemed to dictate her decision almost entirely....
Whilst the film posed as easy come easy go libral i couldnt help but feel that the underlying messages were all rooted in conservitism...

it just wasnt the film i thought i was going to see.... infact at many points it made me want to wretch

the thing that weirds me out is i cant find anyone apart from the person i saw it with who doesnt like it...

you know what it probably seems like im a little more fussed about this film then i actually am... in truth it was just a little pants

Old 08.01.2008, 11:55 AM   #34
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hell yeah, why do you study humanities if it's not to do that?
If anything the scene was a commentary on the weirdness of suddenly be tossed into the polar situation and portrays both sides an undesirable. The Juno character decision not to abort is more influenced by the interior of the clinic (the front office girl, the magazines, the scratching nervousness) than the words of the protesting girl. In fact Juno's detachment to the baby while discussing the adoption shows that conservative family values were not the point of this film. The protesting girl was shown as creepy and so was the front office girl. The movie isn't about abortion vs. adoption, it is obviously about the strength of true love (between both the adopting parents and Juno and the one dude) as made evident from the entire end of the movie that you must have missed being too caught up in you liberal reactionary vendetta.

Juno also isn't even meant to portray the average American girl as made clear with her being called strange so, to me, to say that this film endorses pro-life because this individualistic character chose not to abort is like telling a woman that is pro-choice that if she ever happens to choose to put up for adoption that she is a hypocrite and pro-life. Pro-choice is not the opposite of pro-life.
Old 08.01.2008, 11:57 AM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am pro the complete and utter eradication of death
Old 08.01.2008, 11:58 AM   #36
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
juno was way too easily swayed by the asian girls few comments... in fact this tiny incident seemed to dictate her decision almost entirely....
Selective viewing. The front desk girl and the other women in the clinic influenced her just as much. In fact Juno blows past the asian girl almost immediately after she realizes her diversion talk (diversion often means opposing to) and even find the fingernail comment creepy.
Old 08.01.2008, 12:03 PM   #37
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If anything the scene was a commentary on the weirdness of suddenly be tossed into the polar situation and portrays both sides an undesirable. The Juno character decision not to abort is more influenced by the interior of the clinic (the front office girl, the magazines, the scratching nervousness) than the words of the protesting girl. In fact Juno's detachment to the baby while discussing the adoption shows that conservative family values were not the point of this film. The protesting girl was shown as creepy and so was the front office girl. The movie isn't about abortion vs. adoption, it is obviously about the strength of true love (between both the adopting parents and Juno and the one dude) as made evident from the entire end of the movie that you must have missed being too caught up in you liberal reactionary vendetta.

Juno also isn't even meant to portray the average American girl as made clear with her being called strange so, to me, to say that this film endorses pro-life because this individualistic character chose not to abort is like telling a woman that is pro-choice that if she ever happens to choose adoption that she is a hypocrite and pro-life. Pro-choice is not the opposite of pro-life.

ha ha, much better there! see? -- and i agree with your analysis.

but i believe that your response was directed at leakyheadboy not at me, right?

anyway-- i think the "danger" of the movie is that some people might take juno as a model when their lives don't match juno's circumstances. i mean-- looking for role models in movies-- nuts! but one cannot control people's imbecility.
Old 08.01.2008, 12:08 PM   #38
pbradley
invito al cielo

I don't know who I was responding to exactly, I didn't sleep last night. I'm on reserve batts.
Old 08.01.2008, 12:09 PM   #39
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don't know who I was responding to exactly, I didn't sleep last night. I'm on reserve batts.

Old 08.01.2008, 12:10 PM   #40
pbradley
invito al cielo

Wouldn't that help me go to sleep?

Anyways I'm going to go to starbucks because I have a friend on the inside to hook me up with a free shot.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth