Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Which movie should I watch?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.01.2008, 12:10 PM   #41
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
juno schmuno

watch Les Enfants Du Paradis to see a REAL fucking masterpiece movie.

I've seen it 4 times already. It has veerything, intrigue, madmen, mimes, actors, freak shows, anarchists, atheists, geniuses, art, insanity, humor, beauty. fuck.

Filmed during the nazi occupation of france. unbelievable that they got it made and epic epic epic.
Old 08.01.2008, 12:11 PM   #42
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Wouldn't that help me go to sleep?

a crack pipe? the weed leaf is only on the lighter.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 12:14 PM   #43
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I thought crack pipes were straight pipes, no bowl. Live and learn.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 12:36 PM   #44
leakyheadboy
bad moon rising

leakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's assesleakyheadboy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
If anything the scene was a commentary on the weirdness of suddenly be tossed into the polar situation and portrays both sides an undesirable. The Juno character decision not to abort is more influenced by the interior of the clinic (the front office girl, the magazines, the scratching nervousness) than the words of the protesting girl. In fact Juno's detachment to the baby while discussing the adoption shows that conservative family values were not the point of this film. The protesting girl was shown as creepy and so was the front office girl. The movie isn't about abortion vs. adoption, it is obviously about the strength of true love (between both the adopting parents and Juno and the one dude) as made evident from the entire end of the movie that you must have missed being too caught up in you liberal reactionary vendetta.

Juno also isn't even meant to portray the average American girl as made clear with her being called strange so, to me, to say that this film endorses pro-life because this individualistic character chose not to abort is like telling a woman that is pro-choice that if she ever happens to choose to put up for adoption that she is a hypocrite and pro-life. Pro-choice is not the opposite of pro-life.

And whose decision is it to design the clinic set in such away? i don't know about the states but over here they're not the happiest places on earth but they sure aren't as bad as that... all this works in favor of my point in that in this film the possibility of abortion was written off from the start...

And when you say that Juno was not supposed to be the average American girl because she is portrayed as a little strange... Which teenage girl (or boy for that matter) on earth thinks that they are normal or average... in this respect Juno is most definitely written to be a projection of the inner average american girl (all be it a slightly more articulate version)... you know... says the things they wish they could say, breezes through some real shit stuff like its a walk in the park... You ever seen an add asking for a baby in the newspaper? i sure haven't...

i think we just picked up on very different things within the same movie... it happens

oh and !@£$%%^%%@!$! yer thanks that was the point i was trying to make about role models and stuff but you said it way better than me

leakyheadboy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 01:06 PM   #45
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakyheadboy
And whose decision is it to design the clinic set in such away? i don't know about the states but over here they're not the happiest places on earth but they sure aren't as bad as that... all this works in favor of my point in that in this film the possibility of abortion was written off from the start...

And when you say that Juno was not supposed to be the average American girl because she is portrayed as a little strange... Which teenage girl (or boy for that matter) on earth thinks that they are normal or average... in this respect Juno is most definitely written to be a projection of the inner average american girl (all be it a slightly more articulate version)... you know... says the things they wish they could say, breezes through some real shit stuff like its a walk in the park... You ever seen an add asking for a baby in the newspaper? i sure haven't...

oh... good points!

it's true that the abortion clinic looked extra-creepy. ive never been to one so i don't know.

and talking about the projection-- oh the average american girl wants to be witty like that!

but anyway-- the debate continues...!

tee hee
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 01:50 PM   #46
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck this, I'm going to go buy a record.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 01:52 PM   #47
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
today is payday and I wanna go buy a record or two after work damnit!!!!!
Old 08.01.2008, 02:21 PM   #48
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
Fight Club.

Juno was good but mmeehhh.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 02:33 PM   #49
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I couldn't watch Juno again if you paid me. It wasn't terrible, but the dialogue is some of the most obnoxious bullshit ever written.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 03:05 PM   #50
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Everyone's a critic!

I give this thread a 7/10

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2008, 03:16 PM   #51
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i must be the only person on the face of the earth who didn't find juno to be even remotely amusing

watch "i'm not there"
Old 08.01.2008, 03:56 PM   #52
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I remember really disliking it when I saw it at the cheap dollar theatre; just found it annoying and boring. I watched it again recently at a friend's house and didn't think it was that bad. It's a very very tolerable movie.

I think a lot of films simply succeed by not being HATED by tons of people.. in the same way you can put on the Misfits or the Pixies and most people won't care, because even if someone isn't fanatical about those bands most people don't HATE them. I think Juno's the same way. Even though I doubt many people love Juno, I bet most people can at least tolerate it.

Old 08.01.2008, 04:00 PM   #53
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

all I know is that, in 1991, when I graduated High School, I swore to myself to never ever give a flying fuck about anything, or anyone, or anyone's bullshit problems that are in any way related to, take place in, or reminisce about, MOTHERFUCKING HIGH SCHOOL
Old 08.01.2008, 04:08 PM   #54
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

amen.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth