Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore Announce Split
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.19.2011, 11:44 PM   #281
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
given that any album with songs as good and radical as Tom Violence and Expressway would be the peak of most any other band's career.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 12:01 AM   #282
VacuumChild
empty page

VacuumChild kicks all y'all's assesVacuumChild kicks all y'all's assesVacuumChild kicks all y'all's assesVacuumChild kicks all y'all's assesVacuumChild kicks all y'all's assesVacuumChild kicks all y'all's assesVacuumChild kicks all y'all's assesVacuumChild kicks all y'all's assesVacuumChild kicks all y'all's assesVacuumChild kicks all y'all's assesVacuumChild kicks all y'all's asses
My life has lost all of its sense.
VacuumChild is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 03:19 AM   #283
forkimified
bad moon rising

forkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's asses
Any bets as to how long it takes before we all look back at our posts in this thread in embarrassment for our cluelessness?
forkimified is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 06:07 AM   #284
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkimified
Any bets as to how long it takes before we all look back at our posts in this thread in embarrassment for our cluelessness?
I think the best we can hope for in terms of the band is perhaps a hiatus after the south american dates, then sporadic live dates and longer gaps between albums. Which is probably what they'd end up doing anyway as it's clear they're not up for doing the conventional album-tour-album-tour-album-tour cycle as frequently as they once were.
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 09:05 AM   #285
Thin_icE
bad moon rising

Thin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Theyve had 5 Sonic Peaks (depending on where you count your "eras", most of these come at the "End" of what i consider one particular era of the band)

Sonic Peak 1 - Bad Moon Rising. A high concept low culture Stooges tribute album

Sonic Peak 2 - Daydream Nation. It was annoying finding out what Teenage Riot was about, but somehow the subject matter made it more entertaining the more i thought about it

Sonic Peak 3 - Goo. Several trendy bastards wore the Tshirt. I didnt but i owned the mug, the poster and the fucking CD too. Cunts

Sonic Peak 4 - A Thousand Leaves. Like it was written in rehab, and asylum, a maternity ward, and an abandoned town in the middle of winter. Hoarfrost is the most beautiful song they have ever done, and one of the most beautiful ever done by anyone

Sonic Peak 5 - Murray Street/Sonic Nurse. Your city gets attacked, your country goes haywire, you are the elder statesmen of indie who saw yourselves through the Reagan years and commercial success unscathed. how do you respond? You make everyone think Murray Street is accessible (only if they never listen beyond song 1 and 2) then you do Nurse, with I love You Golden Blue, which is the second most beautiful song youve ever done.

Some nice peaks there
You don't regard Sister as a peak? Even the band did so.
Thin_icE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 09:18 AM   #286
Rembert
empty page

Rembert has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Is this the end of Sonic Youth?

In an interview Lee Ranaldo did when he was in Belgium a couple of weeks ago, he said about the Simon Werner soundtrack: "It's technically our last album at this point." Then he seems to realise that "last" is a somewhat strange word choice, and he corrects himself: "Our most recent album I guess I would say."

This is probably seeing something that isn't there, but I remember I already thought of it as a bit strange when I saw the interview the first time.

You can see Lee's quote at 2:05 on YouTube: watch?v=g6Gs1N2ao5U
Rembert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 09:36 AM   #287
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
The Eternal is a fitting title for their supposedly "last album"..

the album itself?.. meh. i think they can end on a better note
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 09:51 AM   #288
whiskeyrock11
empty page

whiskeyrock11 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i saw them tour for the eternal and thought they were great. i hope they dont break up, i hope they do at least one more album, if not i think the eternal is a fitting end to a long noise fueled career. so sad
whiskeyrock11 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 02:36 PM   #289
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Theyve had 5 Sonic Peaks (depending on where you count your "eras", most of these come at the "End" of what i consider one particular era of the band)

Sonic Peak 1 - Bad Moon Rising. A high concept low culture Stooges tribute album

Sonic Peak 2 - Daydream Nation. It was annoying finding out what Teenage Riot was about, but somehow the subject matter made it more entertaining the more i thought about it

Sonic Peak 3 - Goo. Several trendy bastards wore the Tshirt. I didnt but i owned the mug, the poster and the fucking CD too. Cunts

Sonic Peak 4 - A Thousand Leaves. Like it was written in rehab, and asylum, a maternity ward, and an abandoned town in the middle of winter. Hoarfrost is the most beautiful song they have ever done, and one of the most beautiful ever done by anyone

Sonic Peak 5 - Murray Street/Sonic Nurse. Your city gets attacked, your country goes haywire, you are the elder statesmen of indie who saw yourselves through the Reagan years and commercial success unscathed. how do you respond? You make everyone think Murray Street is accessible (only if they never listen beyond song 1 and 2) then you do Nurse, with I love You Golden Blue, which is the second most beautiful song youve ever done.

Some nice peaks there

You forgot Evol, Sister, and Confusion is Sex. Those were all peaks IMO as well.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 03:30 PM   #290
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
^ Thinking they peaked in the 80's is hilarious...

They've peaked every decade with multiple mind blowing albums!

This.
Old 10.20.2011, 04:28 PM   #291
canabero
children of satan

canabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard sucka
i'm still waiting for news in main page.

www.myspace.com/canabero
canabero is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2011, 04:41 PM   #292
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by canabero
i'm still waiting for news in main page.

I wouldn't count on seeing anything too incredibly soon.
Old 10.20.2011, 07:54 PM   #293
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I say Confusion is a PEAK too fuckers. No one has even come close to shitting out anything that fabulous.

CIS!

CIS!
Old 10.20.2011, 08:03 PM   #294
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
CIS is great, but its not a peak. Compared to almost anything else from the time, its a peak, but the reason we love SY is their standards are that much higher.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2011, 01:52 AM   #295
secretmonalisa
empty page

secretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think we should worry. I have a feeling they separated years ago but didn't tell us, except in song. Many couples separate and still make music. John Doe and Exene of X. Debbie Harry and Chris Stein of Blondie. The White Stripes.
secretmonalisa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2011, 02:33 AM   #296
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
CIS is great, but its not a peak. Compared to almost anything else from the time, its a peak, but the reason we love SY is their standards are that much higher.

Yea, i truly think all of their albums are great. Some are just fuckin way greater than others.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2011, 02:51 AM   #297
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Yea, i truly think all of their albums are great. Some are just fuckin way greater than others.
this.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2011, 08:52 AM   #298
kimgw
empty page

kimgw kicks all y'all's asseskimgw kicks all y'all's asseskimgw kicks all y'all's asseskimgw kicks all y'all's asseskimgw kicks all y'all's asseskimgw kicks all y'all's asseskimgw kicks all y'all's asseskimgw kicks all y'all's asseskimgw kicks all y'all's asseskimgw kicks all y'all's asseskimgw kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmonalisa
I don't think we should worry. I have a feeling they separated years ago but didn't tell us, except in song. Many couples separate and still make music. John Doe and Exene of X. Debbie Harry and Chris Stein of Blondie. The White Stripes.

Totally agree.
I've sensed it since..."Turquoise boy" maybe?
kimgw is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2011, 09:06 AM   #299
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
what would the neighbors think?
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2011, 10:06 AM   #300
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
this theorizing makes little sense if you remember that Thurston has written most of Kim's lyrics for the past decade.
121314 15 16171825 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth