Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.12.2016, 11:53 PM   #19761
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
I've always considered Texas Chain Saw Massacre to be a dark comedy.

"HEY LEATHERFACE, COME HELP ME WITH GRANDPA!"

But then again, I think the same thing about Eraserhead so maybe I'm just nutty...
it was indeed a pioneer of the genre of horror comedies that peaked in the 80s

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2016, 11:55 PM   #19762
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
thanks guys, i might not have the stomach for texas chainsaw massacre after all... but hey, if i read it as a comedy... perhaps. but wait-- it was based on a real serial killer. maybe i just don't wanna know.

IBG was definitely NOT in poltergeist. i googled up a bit and there are 2 movies that coined this trope, in quick succession: 1) the amityville horror, 2) THE SHINING (this i recall).

poltergeist is only guilty by association or bad recollection, but they made a clear point that their cemetery wasn't indian-- i just watched that yesterday. the one that had indians was POULTRYGEIST which is the Troma version but is obviously a huge parody.

anyway more info here. i like this one: http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...burial-grounds
so it was just a regular cemetery? i thought that initially but i wasn't sure

Old 10.13.2016, 09:54 AM   #19763
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
thanks guys, i might not have the stomach for texas chainsaw massacre after all... but hey, if i read it as a comedy

It isn't gross in the sense of gory. For all it's notoriety it isn't graphic at all. It works more on a psychological level.

Don't understand the stuff about it being a comedy. It's no more a comedy than Hills Have Eyes. Saying that, I have watched it with people who've laughed at bits of it. But in the same way some people laugh at bits of The Exorcist.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2016, 10:14 AM   #19764
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i watched i think 10 or 20 minutes of TCM and it was too disturbing

but now im vaccinated though. i just might...

btw just started TRUE DETECTIVE season 2

it's very... it has a touch of david lynch on it. the music, the light, some characters (e.g. lolita davidovich or the bar singer). there's a definite influence on the general mood of the thing--can't be a coincidence either that a street sign for mulholland drive appears when the vehicle that carries a certain guy drives by.

also the colin farrell character is definitely a bad lieutenant ha ha ha. not just his rank but that shot of him in the car with the kid outside of school and him doing drugs after he drops him. he's a bad lieutenant ha ha ha.

everything is intertext these days.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2016, 10:58 AM   #19765
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
just got Tale of Tales, will be watching soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ETi804w-E
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2016, 01:26 PM   #19766
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i watched i think 10 or 20 minutes of TCM and it was too disturbing

but now im vaccinated though. i just might...

btw just started TRUE DETECTIVE season 2

it's very... it has a touch of david lynch on it. the music, the light, some characters (e.g. lolita davidovich or the bar singer). there's a definite influence on the general mood of the thing--can't be a coincidence either that a street sign for mulholland drive appears when the vehicle that carries a certain guy drives by.

also the colin farrell character is definitely a bad lieutenant ha ha ha. not just his rank but that shot of him in the car with the kid outside of school and him doing drugs after he drops him. he's a bad lieutenant ha ha ha.

everything is intertext these days.

I'll be interested in what you think of the rest of the season.

I definitely feel you on the Lynch thing. At the very least, there's a bit of Mullholand Drive sheen to it. (I'm not sure it's all that similar to anything else in the Lynch canon). But I remember thinking the same thing. There's also I suppose a bit of Lost Highway in some of the season 2 imagery.

Colin Farrel is a good actor. Occasionally great. In Bruge is so so so fucking good. I think he's really the best part of TD 2, though Vince Vaughn ends up delivering quite a memorably performance too.

It's a sad season. Not rooted in horror and lore like the first. Totally different kind of "detective" story (though correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a single actual detective in the show, which doesn't matter, but is kind of funny)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2016, 02:00 PM   #19767
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i've only seen 3 eps! more next week

--

so finally watched EVIL DEAD 2 and found it HILARIOUS! it was supercampy. like, the first one was low budget but wanted to be scary. this second one is extremely imaginative and ingenious and clever but it's also totally ridiculous.

i really like bruce campbell-- i first became familiar with him in burn notice (i know, i'm decades behind) and it's like--- haaa haaa haaa look at chuck finley! his acting here was so bad it was good. he's by himself for 1/2 the movie at least, gesticulating.

can't wait to see ARMY OF DARKNESS! and also MY NAME IS BRUCE.

but yeah while the first one scared me at various moments (i even spilled whiskey on myself) the 2nd one was mostly superfunny. i don't think that it's just that i got accustomed to it-- it's really funny.
Old 10.15.2016, 11:54 PM   #19768
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Near Dark.

Probably the only way I'd end up liking a George Strait song, thanks to the bar scene.
Old 10.16.2016, 12:07 AM   #19769
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Forsaken..

which i actually really liked because i have a soft spot for good gritty Westerns and especially for Donald Sutherland let alone him and Keifer together?? just an all around great flick

Old 10.16.2016, 12:09 AM   #19770
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

--

so finally watched EVIL DEAD 2 and found it HILARIOUS! it was supercampy. like, the first one was low budget but wanted to be scary. this second one is extremely imaginative and ingenious and clever but it's also totally ridiculous.

i really like bruce campbell-- i first became familiar with him in burn notice (i know, i'm decades behind) and it's like--- haaa haaa haaa look at chuck finley! his acting here was so bad it was good. he's by himself for 1/2 the movie at least, gesticulating.

but yeah while the first one scared me at various moments (i even spilled whiskey on myself) the 2nd one was mostly superfunny. i don't think that it's just that i got accustomed to it-- it's really funny.

wait you had never seen these??

yeah Evil Dead 2 is the good one, more "refined"

Army of Darkness is brilliant, a classic, but its ummm.. different? let us know and i will happy to spend much time discussing and disecting, its in my all time top 10

Old 10.16.2016, 09:29 AM   #19771
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

--

Yeah Evil Dead 2 is kind of the nexus of doof horror, while the first had more traditional ambitions. Don't get me wrong, the first one is ridiculous too. But it's not nearly as stuffed with campy shot as 2.

For better or worse, they double down on the camp even more for Army of Darkness.

FYI: if you're getting into the Evil Dead... ahem.. mythos.. then I'd like to point out that Starz has a new Bruce Campbell-starring show called Ash Vs. Evil Deadtha apparently serves as a sequel to the trilogy. I haven't seen it, but I want to. I think the second season starts soon.
Old 10.16.2016, 09:35 AM   #19772
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
wait you had never seen these??

yeah Evil Dead 2 is the good one, more "refined"

Army of Darkness is brilliant, a classic, but its ummm.. different?

Hah. Yeah. To say the least. I remember when this one came out actually. I didn't realize from the preview that it was a sequel to Evil Dead (even though I think it actually says it is, probably in big spiky letters, but hey... I was young)

Indeed it takes the premise to new heights of absolute absurdity. But it still kicks unholy ass.

I think Evil Dead 2 is my favorite. I love and respect the first one, but the tree rape scene unsettled me to this day.
Old 10.16.2016, 01:02 PM   #19773
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of Evil Dead 2, that's what I followed up with after Near Dark
Old 10.16.2016, 01:43 PM   #19774
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah army of darkness looks bananas-- i'm really looking forward to seeing it

also saw yesterday Mario Bava's THE MASK OF SATAN aka BLACK SUNDAY. it was fucking great! i really enjoyed it. awesome effects, especially for the time. and really enjoyed his cinematography. plus that woman's straaaaange face!

and last, finally saw PIRANHA 3DD. or in my version, just DD, ha ha ha. at the beginning (not the first scene, which was great, but once we get to the water park) it feels like some low-budget tv show from the CW-- but soon it builds up to be awesome and hilarious. i laughed so hard! and got grossed out too but always in a funny way.

also the credits-- fantastic! they were like an extra movie on their own.

i've looked at reviews and ratings for the movie, and it's rated so low i think most critics (professional and self-appointed) are missing the point of it. if it hadn't been for demonrail's recommendation i would have COMPLETELY missed it. thanks!
Old 10.16.2016, 03:06 PM   #19775
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah army of darkness looks bananas-- i'm really looking forward to seeing it

also saw yesterday Mario Bava's THE MASK OF SATAN aka BLACK SUNDAY. it was fucking great! i really enjoyed it. awesome effects, especially for the time. and really enjoyed his cinematography. plus that woman's straaaaange face!

and last, finally saw PIRANHA 3DD. or in my version, just DD, ha ha ha. at the beginning (not the first scene, which was great, but once we get to the water park) it feels like some low-budget tv show from the CW-- but soon it builds up to be awesome and hilarious. i laughed so hard! and got grossed out too but always in a funny way.

also the credits-- fantastic! they were like an extra movie on their own.

i've looked at reviews and ratings for the movie, and it's rated so low i think most critics (professional and self-appointed) are missing the point of it. if it hadn't been for demonrail's recommendation i would have COMPLETELY missed it. thanks!

Last Pirahna movie I saw was the one where the piranhas flew. I don't know where that landed in the chronology, but based on that effect alone I'd say it had "part 3" written all over it. 3 is where folks start to get desperate. Anyone remember RoboCop 3 (it had ninjas.... and I think they flew, but I'm not sure). Or Terminator 3? Holy moly what a stinkeroo.

Rocky III... Superman III... Jaws 3... the list goes on.

Is this new Piranha nice a reboot? A continuation? A sequel to a reboot?

Oh, Hellraiser 3! That might be the worst of the worst man. First two are iconic. Third one had grunge bands and a hell monster that shot CD's at people. Yup.
Old 10.16.2016, 03:30 PM   #19776
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm really glad you liked Piranha DD. It's inexcusable on so many levels except that it somehow actually works. I love the Hoff''s 'character' ... "you went back in the water, you little ginger moron" and Ving Rhames's whole "bring me my legs" heroics. And yes, the gore is sooo outrageous it could only work as a comedy. Even thinking about certain moments while typing this is making me laugh. I only wish more remakes would forget about trying to improve on the original and adopt this approach.

And yeah, Black Sunday. Interesting that just as Hammer was busy revolutionising gothic horror with its vivid colours, Bava produced one of the most beautiful looking B&W horror film ever made. At the time it was considered extremely violent, to the extent it was banned in the UK for quite a few years and heavily censored in the US. Hard to see now what all the fuss was all about and it's a shame that it's (in)famous more for its notoriety than for how beautiful it is. Although admittedly, that opening scene with the mask does still pack a punch.

Also, jumping onto the Poltergeist discussion, I like it as a Spielberg film but I don't think it works as a horror film at all.

Plus I seem to be in the minority in preferring the 1st Evil Dead to the sequel. It's purely down to the tone. The 1st one has comedy in it but never forgets that it's ultimately a horror film whereas the sequel really only works as a comedy for me. Nothing against comedy horror (as my love of Piranha DD shows) but I just get far more from watching Evil Dead I than I do II.

Anyway, just watched ...

Night of the Living Dead

For all my love of Fulci, it's pretty much impossible to over praise this. I'm not just talking about its influence, which is obviously beyond question, but purely as a horror film in its own right, regardless of everything it inspired. A perfect 10/10 for me.
Old 10.16.2016, 03:57 PM   #19777
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Is this new Piranha nice a reboot? A continuation? A sequel to a reboot?

A sequel to a reboot.

Keeping up with the franchise is pretty complicated in that there was actually two reboots. So you get

Piranha - the original
Piranha 2: The Spawning - the sequel made in the 80s. This is the one where they fly.

Then there's:

Piranha - a straight up remake of the original made in the 90s.

Then there's

Piranha 3D - the second attempt at a reboot, but nothing like the original (this is basically just a lot of porn stars on a boat.
Piranha 3DD - the sequel to the 2nd reboot. Same amount of porn stars and a direct follow-up to 3D, but far funnier. This is the one El Symbols and I are talking about.

The end of 3DD points to the likelihood of a further sequel (3DDD?) by showing that a new breed of Piranha can walk. I'm probably the only person on earth (besides maybe el symbols) who can't wait for it.
Old 10.16.2016, 04:56 PM   #19778
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

"don't worry mom! they're slow on land!"

they also make me for the first time since coraline really want to watch a 3D movie. even though i get headaches.

i haven't seen piranha the 1978 original (it's hard to find/out of print/in license limbo) but i know it was a roger corman ripoff of jaws-- directed by joe dante, who later made gremlins.

this is probably why the beginning of gremlins is reminiscent of corman's little shop of horrors-- the narrator kinda like a detective story.

for another corman connection, i read that black sunday ran as a double feature with the original little shop of horrors.

CORMAN IS EVERYWHERE
Old 10.16.2016, 05:45 PM   #19779
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
"don't worry mom! they're slow on land!"

they also make me for the first time since coraline really want to watch a 3D movie. even though i get headaches.

i haven't seen piranha the 1978 original (it's hard to find/out of print/in license limbo) but i know it was a roger corman ripoff of jaws-- directed by joe dante, who later made gremlins.

this is probably why the beginning of gremlins is reminiscent of corman's little shop of horrors-- the narrator kinda like a detective story.

for another corman connection, i read that black sunday ran as a double feature with the original little shop of horrors.

CORMAN IS EVERYWHERE

I get headaches too. As a result, I haven't seen a 3D film since I was super wee, back when the glasses were polarized blue and red. I actually want to say it was Jaws 3(D) that I saw in the theatre like this, but it must have been a special showing because I was too young to remember anything in 1983. Hah.

I always liked the first Gremlins film. It somehow made me deeply afraid of the song "Do you Hear what I Hear?" when I was little. So much so that I actually think of Gremlins before I think of Christmas when I hear the song to this day. And it wasn't just the Grenlins. It was something about the movie... the female lead telling a story about how she hated Xmas because she lost her father to booze or some shit on some awful Xmas past. Made me shiver.
Old 10.16.2016, 10:43 PM   #19780
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I should really post in this thread. You guys are talking about movirles I havve a lot of thoughts on. Lazy.
889939979986987988 989 99099199299910391089 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth