Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page grunge fans!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.11.2006, 04:17 PM   #21
grungenotdead?
empty page

grungenotdead? ain't too shabby
not all grungers worship kurt you know, nirvana isnt the only grunge band... but what you said is true, actually it sounds more like youre talking about fucked up kurt worshippers . i feel sorry for them. they're all like 'i like drungs cause kurt liked them' or 'im gonna kill myself when im 27 just to be more like kurt' kurt gets idolized too much but hes far overrated. im not saying hes bad or anything.

grungenotdead? is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 05:54 PM   #22
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
are you from mexico, thread starter?

people here are still stoked on pearl jam and alice in chains like nothing has happened in the past 10-plus years

and when i mention i like sonic youth to anybody, they always go "so you like grunge? pearl jam and stne temple pilots and sonic youth, eh?"

some rad bands from seattle: sunny day real estate, earth, melvins, the fastbacks, the fartz

actually, i like olympia better
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 06:08 PM   #23
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
grunge is not dead, in fact it has never existed, so i guess it is yet to be born
Old 04.11.2006, 06:10 PM   #24
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
go to olympia now and its a really fucking deadbeat place, even being a college town...
Old 04.11.2006, 06:22 PM   #25
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
fuck yeah, Melvins is grunge.
BTW, grungeisdead? I was fuckin' with ya. I've got a lot of grunge material.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 06:23 PM   #26
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
GRUNGE

Last year, that is all I listened to. I had it all.

and I listened to Grunge FM almost everynight. I was obsessed.

Then I bought Dirty and my head exploded.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 06:26 PM   #27
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
GRUNGE

Last year, that is all I listened to. I had it all.

and I listened to Grunge FM almost everynight. I was obsessed.

Then I bought Dirty and my head exploded.

I here ya. I was on the nirvana megadeth trip.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 06:37 PM   #28
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
i was on a whole nirvana trip a couple of years ago. now i'm immersed in anything sonic youth. i learned of sy from kurt's mentioning them and touring w/them. watching the 91 punk broke vid made me go out and buy ddn...
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 06:45 PM   #29
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i meant the olympia music scene from around the same time the seattle scene exploded
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 07:06 PM   #30
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
A lot of you are right. A lot of the so called "grunge" bands were very good i.e. Mudhoney, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam (i guess), Melvins, Alice In Chains, Gruntruck, Green River. But "grunge" was a blanket-term genre invented by the nitwited mass-media to try and describe the agressive, Stooges meets Black Sabbath bastard child of the Velvet Underground sound of the Northwest. When you listen to most Seattle bands, they sound very different from one another. Mudhoney was heavy punk oriented bar rock a la the Stooges; Nirvana was more like Melvins influenced (ealier on); Soundgarden was very metal influenced. So you see grunge never really existed becuase all of the original bands were very different with just a few small, minor similarities loosely tying them together if at all. But a lot of the musicians that are type-casted into this half-existant genre were pretty fucking good rock bands. But the people who ripped them off, i.e. Bush, Everclear, Candlebox, Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20, and especially Green Day and Creed need to be banned from the music industry and be barred from clubs and venues. They just ripped off good musicians with integrity and stole their sound and image for fame and money. And that is a terrible artistic crime. And they must all pay!
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 10:14 PM   #31
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I still love all those bands that have been labeled "grunge" even though I don't really listen to them much anymore.
Old 04.12.2006, 02:09 PM   #32
RockerNino
bad moon rising

RockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's asses
good grunge. bleach by nirvana was fun. grunge is cool
RockerNino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 02:54 PM   #33
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by grungenotdead?
^ exactly at least one person here knows what it is...

loool i think they knew what it was...they were just denying it ever existed...isnt that right?
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 02:58 PM   #35
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrax
i think some so called "grunge" is okay, but its just a stupid word and not really a music genre... its just rock. Saying: "i listen to grunge" seems stupid. i reminds me of this hyper-quasi-depressed 16 years old kid wearing nirvana t-shirt and playing guitar and wanting to sound like kurt kobain... with all those neo-grunge bands, when you listen to them its completley obvious their song writing process begins like: "lets make something that sounds like grunge, you know, something that kurt kobain could easily come up with" ... bah, its really stupid, even thou i like many early grunge acts

I think i hafe to agree with this
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 05:20 PM   #36
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
if you like "grunge" check out the godfathers of said "grunge" the scientists

"grunge's not dead it just deserves to die when it becomes another stale cartoon"

lyric was originally punk's not dead but it can change with the times
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:39 PM   #37
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
yea, i don't see that grunge is really a consistent genre. so many of those bands hold so very little in common. to put pearl jam and nirvana in the same musical genre is just a little insane
Old 04.13.2006, 04:58 AM   #38
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
pearl jam are one of the worst bands ever
Old 04.16.2006, 12:49 AM   #39
defcon4
little trouble girl

defcon4 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I did go to Olympia last fall. It is a trashcan town. Sorry, Olympians
defcon4 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 04:39 PM   #40
pencapchew206
empty page

pencapchew206 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by grungenotdead?
not all grungers worship kurt you know, nirvana isnt the only grunge band... but what you said is true, actually it sounds more like youre talking about fucked up kurt worshippers . i feel sorry for them. they're all like 'i like drungs cause kurt liked them' or 'im gonna kill myself when im 27 just to be more like kurt' kurt gets idolized too much but hes far overrated. im not saying hes bad or anything.
i agree
even though nirvana is my favorite band
even i can admit
that there weren't the first grunge band
and there's alot that were better
pencapchew206 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth