Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page "John Peel由ight Time, Wrong Speed: 1977-1987" 2xCD
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.22.2006, 09:51 AM   #1
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
John Peel由ight Time, Wrong Speed: 1977-1987, a two- disc collection of tracks championed by the legendary BBC DJ, will be released in the UK October 9, just in time for the UK's second annual John Peel Day celebration on October 12. The 38-song sonic homage focuses on Peel's favorites from the punk and new wave eras, containing classic hits by artists like the Buzzcocks and the Smiths, as well as tracks by some lesser-known groups like the Ruts and Misty In Roots. The artwork for the tribute will be rendered by the prolific pop artist Sir Peter Blake, who is known for designing the album cover for Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Disc 1
01. What Do I Get? - The Buzzcocks
02. Alternative Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers
03. A Forest - The Cure
04. Pssyche - Killing Joke
05. Typical Girls - The Slits
06. Another Girl, Another Planet - The Only Ones
07. Just Like Honey - The Jesus and Mary Chain
08. O Superman - Laurie Anderson
09. Roadrunner - The Modern Lovers
10. Mankind - Misty In Roots
11. Can't Stand My Baby - The Rezillos
12. In A Rut - The Ruts
13. Pasi Pano Pane Zviedzo - 4 Brothers
14. New Rose - The Damned
15. Down In The Tube Station At Midnight - The Jam
16. The Sweetest Girl - Scritti Politti
17. Ku Klux Klan - Steel Pulse
18. Where were You? - The Mekons
19. Life In A Scotch Sitting Room - Ivor Cutler

Disc 2
01. Atmosphere - Joy Division
02. Musette and Drums - The Cocteau Twins
03. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
04. Over The Wall - Echo And The Bunnymen
05. Party Fears Two - The Associates
06. The Message - Grandmaster Flash
07. Hope (I Wish You'd Believe Me) - Wah!
08. Birthday - The Sugarcubes
09. Good Technology - Red Guitars
10. All Wi Doin Is Defendin - Poet And The Roots
11. Keep On Keeping On - The Redskins
12. Release The Bats - The Birthday Party
13. Revolutionary Spirit - The Wild Swans
14. Damaged Goods - Gang Of Four
15. Everyone Thinks He Looks Daft - The Wedding Present
16. Just Fascination - Cabaret Voltaire
17. You've Got My Number (Why Don't You Use It?) - The Undertones
18. Eat Y'self Fitter - The Fall
19. The Trumpton Riots - Half Man Half Biscuit
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 10:02 AM   #2
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sure I saw something about a Festive 50-based CD too, with sleevenotes by one of his daughters.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 10:04 AM   #3
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I have also a free cd that was given away with the nme a while ago.One of the very few that i actually open and listen to.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2006, 10:04 AM   #4
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I need this.
Old 09.24.2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I need this.

You really don't. It's rubbish. Where's the reggae? As a long-term listener to the mighty Peel, I can only say this compilation sounds rubbish. What has been forgotten, annoyingly, about the great man, is that for every white stripes there was a Jaguars and a Bette Davis and the Balconettes and a dirty D'nB tune and often Happy Hardcore. His greatness wasn't in picking bands from obscurity, it was in picking great songs regardless of their obscurity (anyone remember the Kelis session?).

*edit: Obviously, it would be Misty in Roots that foil my plan. And that is one of the better songs ever. Still, my point stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 12:16 AM   #6
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
You really don't. It's rubbish. Where's the reggae? As a long-term listener to the mighty Peel, I can only say this compilation sounds rubbish. What has been forgotten, annoyingly, about the great man, is that for every white stripes there was a Jaguars and a Bette Davis and the Balconettes and a dirty D'nB tune and often Happy Hardcore. His greatness wasn't in picking bands from obscurity, it was in picking great songs regardless of their obscurity (anyone remember the Kelis session?).

*edit: Obviously, it would be Misty in Roots that foil my plan. And that is one of the better songs ever. Still, my point stands.

But I need it for the Smiths, Joy Division, GO4, etc.
Old 09.25.2006, 01:44 AM   #7
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Someone couldn't have said it better.I've noticed that all these compilations in tribute to Peel seem to be put together by people who think that,after all these years,a synthesizer is still a thing of the future.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 05:47 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think the Fabric live CD is probably the best Peel-related compilation you can get. It's the best CD for dancing, even though a lot of it isn't strictly 'dance' music. THAT version of Midnight Hour, and also that fucking bassline on Identify the Beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 10:18 AM   #9
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
why cant someone somewhere make a compilation that really epitomises john peel. this is a better comp than that half arsed official one from last year but it still seems they want to shift units rather than simply play a peelie classic. wheres the death metal, gabba techno, wheres the krautrock wheres the unheard of bands that he played consistently. i mean its a great album hit wise, great sounds but i have almost all of em already.. someone somewhere make a john peel comp that will transport you back to a time when u were up at midnite listening to him!!!!!!

sorry but its a sticking point with me, like when syd barrett died, i never heard one barrett song on the radio only shine on you crazy diamond!
Old 09.25.2006, 10:18 AM   #10
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
actually its not a good album on second reading!
Old 09.25.2006, 10:47 AM   #11
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

thirded.

the best thing about peel was he regarded all genres of music as equal, a concept which seems to be beyond the grasp of other radio DJs or the people trying to make a profit from his death
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 10:58 AM   #12
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

even the choice of a fall track is a fairly safe choice. i mean the song itself not the inclusion of the fall. sooo many other tracks like garden, no xmas for john quays or even the last peel session with blindness.

All content ゥ2006 Sonic Youth