Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.25.2016, 12:48 AM   #48301
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
MM Food does it for me.

since we're on hip hop. im still waiting to hear the new A Tribe Called Quest the right way.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2016, 01:07 AM   #48302
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Op Doomsday and King Geedorah are my shit.

New Tribe is incredible.
Old 11.25.2016, 10:09 AM   #48303
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
MM Food does it for me.

My favorite MF Doom album. I'd even argue that it's the definitive Doom album. The one solo Doom that matters most.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2016, 02:42 PM   #48304
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Back in the AMR days (that's the alt.music.replacements Usenet group, you damn "social media" kids), there was a recurring discussion: take "Dose Of Thunder" and "Lay It Down Clown" out, add "Can't Hardly Wait" and "Nowhere Is My Home" instead, and you got THE GREATEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF EVERYTHING. But then again, sheer perfection wasn't exactly the Mats' way, was it?

Yeah, starting the "'Mats should have..." game seems never ending.

I understand the suggested track re-arranging, but TIM is so good I don't think the dumb throwaways really detract. I find them nice breaks from an album which has some pretty melancholy things going on in the lyrics. "Little Mascara," for one, is positively heartbreaking. Yet rocking. And catchy. Masterpiece!

--Put on Don't Tell A Soul, which was so much better than I remembered. Too polished, a few dated late-80s production choices, but a good batch of tunes. Not thrilling, but not crap. Better than anything by Goo Goo Dolls, Gin Blossoms, etc. A high watermark in a very shallow pool, I guess.

--Then I put on All Shook Down, which was so much worse than I remembered. The slow ones are good, but that's about it. The shout of "One! Two!" at the very start of "Someone Take the Wheel" is probably the most exciting moment of the record. I can't believe I ever loved this boring ass album.

They were my favorite band for awhile. Then I stopped listening for about a decade. Dipping back in (probably because of TROUBLE BOYS) has been a lot of fun. My memory of the records has been faulty so far.

Gonna listen to STINK in a little while. Never my favorite, so I'm excited to find out if the older, wiser me digs it more than the younger, dumber me did.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2016, 08:33 PM   #48305
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Method Man - Tical

sometimes I want to rate this album higher than Liquid Swords. it's cold and gritty but warm at the same time. it's got the best RZA production he ever did.

Butthole Surfers - Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac. Cherub is cold evil.
Old 11.27.2016, 02:23 PM   #48306
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
Method Man - Tical

sometimes I want to rate this album higher than Liquid Swords. it's cold and gritty but warm at the same time. it's got the best RZA production he ever did.

Butthole Surfers - Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac. Cherub is cold evil.

You know, I was just recently thinking about this. Tical is underrated. It was the first Wu solo album, and Meth had the hunger back then. I don't think it's as good as Liquid Swords or Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, but it's definitely a solid, bullshit-free album that deserves to be ranked alongside the classics.

It's certainly better than Return to the 36 Chambers. And back then, Method Man was fully expected to be the group's big breakout star. So a lot of work went into the record, and honestly I believe Tical is where RZA really honed what would become known as his signature style, because that shit was still pretty embryonic on Enter the Wu-Tang.
Old 11.28.2016, 07:32 PM   #48307
PLips
Banned

PLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's asses
Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner by Belle and Sebastian.

When I first heard this in college my friend described it as homework music. Lovin it, so much nostalgia and aspiration.
PLips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2016, 09:02 PM   #48308
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLips
Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner by Belle and Sebastian.

When I first heard this in college my friend described it as homework music. Lovin it, so much nostalgia and aspiration.

don't think I've heard this song. ignored the last ten years of this band.

I had a friend that liked them in high school. I hated them in the 90's/early 2000s. it wasn't till I bought the Lazy Line Painter Jane box that I thought of them as a little brilliant for a little while. it didn't last long like with my infatuation with Guided by Voices. hell, I even saw them in concert with said friend. The Boy with the Arab Strap is my favorite.

religious music for virgins no doubts. don't they have their own cult like the smiths or the cure? or is that dead?
Old 11.28.2016, 09:10 PM   #48309
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
mv/ee Root/King on CDr
Bardo Pond live at Union Pool 20161118
Chuck Johnson - over and over
Jack Rose - 3lobed rereleases
Carla Del Forna - various tracks
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2016, 09:44 PM   #48310
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Technically the first Wu solo album is Words From The Genius. Ha
Old 11.29.2016, 09:54 PM   #48311
pepper_green
Banned

ZZ Top = Deguello and Tres Hombres

various Thin Lizzy mix tracks that I made.

I logged in and you asked me what I was listening to. and I told you.
Old 12.01.2016, 08:30 AM   #48312
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Emptyset - Recur

this album is soooo heavy and dark. here's full album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o0bgCaHZzw check out track Order

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2016, 11:01 AM   #48313
Severian
invito al cielo

Burial - Young Death/Nightmarket

Interesting. The second track is definitely the better of the two. It's almost beatless, bordering on ambient. Two good tracks that I'm super happy to have... but it's no Rival Dealer.

"Nightmarket" is super fucking good though.
Old 12.03.2016, 06:00 AM   #48314
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2016, 12:14 PM   #48315
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I love Weezer. Like way too much. The Red Album is one of their weakest albums, yet I have a total soft spot for it.
Old 12.07.2016, 06:59 AM   #48316
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

I love Weezer. Like way too much. The Red Album is one of their weakest albums, yet I have a total soft spot for it.

Well, we all have our weird shit.
They actually just got a Grammy not for Best Rock Album for Weezer (white).

I didn't care for anything I heard from that one, but that other one with the big monster on the cover seemed like it might have had some moments. Maybe that's just because it was so well reviewed and good reviews for Weezet albs. have been so, so, so, so rare for the past 15 years.

Do you like that one? One with bigass Dino jr lookin monster drawing on the cover?
Old 12.07.2016, 09:08 AM   #48317
noisereductions
invito al cielo

you're talking about Everything Will Be Alright In The End, and yes I do. There isn't a Weezer album I dislike honestly. I mean some I like more than others. But I think I *might* MIGHT prefer the white album to "the one w/ the monster on the cover". It's so good. I mean if you like Weezer at all, I'd think you'd like the white album. "Do You Wanna Get High?" or "Thank God For Girls" - maybe give those a spin again?

Red album is super weird. It is really a sore thumb in their discography which is prob why I like it so much. Like, the back half has songs sung by not Rivers which is very unique. Gives it almost a weird mixtape feel. The first half is all Rivers - and every song is good except "Dangerous." Then you all the sudden get Brian Bell's "Thought I Knew" which reminds me of Brighten The Corners era Spiral Stairs, and the whole album shifts gears and then clsoes w/ Rivers' "The Angel And The One" which is classic Weezer quiet sad dude ending song a la "Butterfly". So good (then there's 4 bonus tracks if you got the deluxe).

I ramble. Sorry. But yeah, Weezer. Love them so much. Still. I threw Blue Album in my car this morning to go old school now.
Old 12.07.2016, 11:03 AM   #48318
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
you're talking about Everything Will Be Alright In The End, and yes I do. There isn't a Weezer album I dislike honestly. I mean some I like more than others. But I think I *might* MIGHT prefer the white album to "the one w/ the monster on the cover". It's so good. I mean if you like Weezer at all, I'd think you'd like the white album. "Do You Wanna Get High?" or "Thank God For Girls" - maybe give those a spin again?

Red album is super weird. It is really a sore thumb in their discography which is prob why I like it so much. Like, the back half has songs sung by not Rivers which is very unique. Gives it almost a weird mixtape feel. The first half is all Rivers - and every song is good except "Dangerous." Then you all the sudden get Brian Bell's "Thought I Knew" which reminds me of Brighten The Corners era Spiral Stairs, and the whole album shifts gears and then clsoes w/ Rivers' "The Angel And The One" which is classic Weezer quiet sad dude ending song a la "Butterfly". So good (then there's 4 bonus tracks if you got the deluxe).

I ramble. Sorry. But yeah, Weezer. Love them so much. Still. I threw Blue Album in my car this morning to go old school now.

Well, you know me (sort of ) and I don't hold music against people, certainly not when it's an artist like Weezer that I grew up listening to. So I just did the fact that you care enough about a band to follow them and think about them and how they've grown and changed. That's the kind of talk I live for.

But I *probably* won't find much to like about any Weeer from this millennium I'm sorry to say.

Part of it is that they were SO Big for me in the early-mid '90s, soundtracking crushes and nerd sessions in the garage with my friends, providing material for me to "cover" (poorly) with my friends in our first little band, and playing on my headphones over the summer, that their music is just inexorably connected to my youth. I may listen to Blue or Pinkerton couple of years, on a long drive, just for nostalgic fun, but I already had all the feels from those tunes, and I can't listen to it without thinking of junior high. Their post '00 output didn't do enough for me to keep me interested.

They're not a massive disappointment the way Modest Mouse is (Jesus, that band was once one of my all time favorites live and on record, but wow did they start sucking shit after Moon & Antarctica), but that's partly because they were never as promising as MM was in '97.

I'll put on the red album right now on Apple Music just to show you that I'm open minded and willing. But don't expect a re-evaluation.

I genuinely think it's cool that you're so into the band though. There are very few bands with that sort of adolescent wackiness that still sound relevant to me today. Like Sevadoh... Pavement to a lesser extent... Flaming Lips because they went so far beyond their "hijinx and shenanigans" phase and made several pieces of genuinely powerful music. But not many others.
Old 12.07.2016, 11:24 AM   #48319
noisereductions
invito al cielo

you should listen to White Album instead of Red. At least "Do You Wanna Get High?" - think you'd dig it.

There's something really comforting to me about Weezer tho. Like, even when they change or experiment (which they do do... like on Raditude how they worked w/ Lil Wayne and Jermaine Dupri, etc... ), they still sound like Weezer. And that makes me happy. You ever hear their cover of "Brain Stew"? They turn it into a crazy bombastic piano ballad epic thing. It's awesome. It's on a random EP they did for Record Store Day in 2009.

I remember seeing Weezer before the Green Album came out and it was so so exciting. Like, after Pinkerton it seemed like they would be this mythical band that came and went in a few years and left a legacy of 2 amazing albums. When I saw them "Island In The Sun" was the only new song they played and it was like one of those moments - "OMG! FINALLY THERE"S A NEW WEEZER SONG!"

Modest Mouse was one of the weirdest career implosions in history. All those early records... Lonesome Crowded, Long Drive - you could see the evolution to Moon. But then. Then they just turned into what? Radio pap? So strange.
Old 12.07.2016, 11:42 AM   #48320
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
you should listen to White Album instead of Red. At least "Do You Wanna Get High?" - think you'd dig it.

There's something really comforting to me about Weezer tho. Like, even when they change or experiment (which they do do... like on Raditude how they worked w/ Lil Wayne and Jermaine Dupri, etc... ), they still sound like Weezer. And that makes me happy. You ever hear their cover of "Brain Stew"? They turn it into a crazy bombastic piano ballad epic thing. It's awesome. It's on a random EP they did for Record Store Day in 2009.

Modest Mouse was one of the weirdest career implosions in history. All those early records... Lonesome Crowded, Long Drive - you could see the evolution to Moon. But then. Then they just turned into what? Radio pap? So strange.

Yeah it was super sad.
I remember seeing them the summer before Good News For People Who Like Bad News came out. There was soenthung different about them, even before Jeremiah Green left. Their show just had a strange vibe to it, and the crowd was massive. They drew in as many people as the Flaming Lips did that night, and the Lips were coming off their most commercially successful album (Yoshimi).

I was with my girlfriend at the time who, like me, had grown up going to MM shows on the west coast, back when they played like a band that actually represented what "emo" was supposed to mean (a combination of melodicism, DIY ethics, hardcore energy and math-rock intricacy, if you ask me.) Even the mellow Long Drive shows tended to just erupt. But on this June day in 2003, something was just plain different.

There was a hint of the old MM in "Bury me with it" that gave us hope and the show wasn't terrible, but it was full of new material that sounded kinda... toothless... compared to what we expected after an album that ended with something as weird and scathing as "What People are Made of." And it was surreal to see SO many people flipping out over a band that was, to me anyway, obviously at career low.

I actually told my gtrlfriend after that I thought Modest Mouse shirts would be available in every Hot Topic within a year. She was like naaaaaw. And that's exactly what happened. But even Good News was better than than what followed... Jesus... and their purported "return" in 2014 or whenever didn't seem to register with anyone, even though the album was a slight improvement over the previous.

I still think Lonf Drive, Fruit That Ate Itsekf, Lonesome Crowded, Building Nothing out of Something, Moon & Antarctica and Everywhere... are all great records. But I like to pretend they broke up somewhere around that fateful '03 show.
1916231623662406241324142415 2416 241724182419242624662516 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth