Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Yr Top 20 Films of All Time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.08.2006, 12:17 PM   #41
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Night of the Hunter...wow

I like the original Cape Fear more though.

The Marx Bros.' Duck Soup is a classic, although I like Chaplin's The Circus and Modern Times as picks before that one myself.

Wait! Did Mia have a steak and not a cheesburger? I can't remember. I know Vincent gets the steak---bloody.
hehe
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 12:18 PM   #42
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
yeh i usualy aint hungry for at least another day
Old 12.08.2006, 05:29 PM   #43
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
inspired by the "David Lynch Launches Coffee Brand " thread

im going to post in groups of 5
the first five being my top 5 (but all tied for 1st place)
second group being my top 6-10 (but all tied for 2nd place)
and so on.

1. Une Femme Est Une Femme
2. Federico Fellini's 8 1/2
3. Amarcord
4. The Seventh Seal
5. Lost In Translation

6. Mulholland Drive
7. Eyes Without A Face
8. Eyes Wide Shut
9. El Topo
10. Amores Perros

11. La Dolce Vita
12. A Bout De Souffle
13. 2001 Space Odyssey
14. The Life Aquatic
15. Wild Strawberries

16. Y Tu Mama Tambien
17.The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
18. L'Avventura
19. M
20. Il Posto
and i just have to squeeze this one in here
20. Kill Bill (volumes 1 & 2)

Honorable mentions:
Royal Tenenbaums, I Fidanzati, Me and You and Everyone We Know, Blue Velvet, My Life to Live, Band of Outsiders, Masculin Feminin, The Big Lebowski, The Brown Bunny, Buffalo 66, Thumbsucker, Salo:120 Days of Sodom, Le Cite De Enfants Perdus, City Of God, Amelie, Virgin Suicides, Jesus' Son, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Rushmore, The Tin Drum, Withnail and I, The Motorcycle Diaries, Reservoir Dogs, Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas, The Night Porter, Natural Born Killers, Women On The Verge of A Nervous Breakdown, Dr Strangelove, Clockwork Orange, Tacones Lejanos, Barry Lyndon, and Week End

that's a pretty damn good list but i would not put kill bills in it- seriously if you want a kung fu movie i'd take "hero" over that-- or crounching tiger, or even flying daggers-- of course nothing beats "drunken master" but that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
Where's High fidelity

that movie is shit. a guy talking and talking. no need to make a movie about it. don't get me wrong, i like whatshisname... grosse pointe blank however is a lot more fun for example.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 05:39 PM   #44
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that movie is shit. a guy talking and talking. no need to make a movie about it. don't get me wrong, i like whatshisname... grosse pointe blank however is a lot more fun for example.

I think what bothers me most about that movie is when I hear guys say, "It's like watching myself onscreen" (in reference to Cusack's character). I mean, pretty much every character in that movie (or at least the ones we're supposed to like) is a sad, pathetic loser, which is probably redundant but whatever. Anyway, when people talk about how much they can identify with characters from that movie, it's like a red alert, you know, DON'T HANG OUT WITH THIS PERSON. And the whole thing about judging people based on the shit they've accumulated (records, movies, books) is lame. Pretty much everyone I've met in real life who I thought had "really good taste" also turned out to be a total asshole. With the exception of maybe one person. And that's not a good percentage, ya know?

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 05:44 PM   #45
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
I think what bothers me most about that movie is when I hear guys say, "It's like watching myself onscreen" (in reference to Cusack's character). I mean, pretty much every character in that movie (or at least the ones we're supposed to like) is a sad, pathetic loser, which is probably redundant but whatever. Anyway, when people talk about how much they can identify with characters from that movie, it's like a red alert, you know, DON'T HANG OUT WITH THIS PERSON. And the whole thing about judging people based on the shit they've accumulated (records, movies, books) is lame. Pretty much everyone I've met in real life who I thought had "really good taste" also turned out to be a total asshole. With the exception of maybe one person. And that's not a good percentage, ya know?

ha ha ha ha

well yes something like that-- john cusack, thank you-- yak and yak and yak-- i wanted to stuff a rag into his mouth-- i don't go to the movies to hear people make endless speeches. besides, i tought that "top 5" gimmick was completely annoying.
Old 12.08.2006, 05:48 PM   #46
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
in not really any order:

8 1/2
fear & loathing in las vegas
whitey
django
the good the bad and the ugly
blue velvet
quilombo
alice
dead man
repo man
yojimbo
dark days
malcolm x
slacker
the big lebowski
the harder they come
harold and maude
a boy and his his dog
man bites dog
sweet sweetback's badasssssss song

oh, and i saw downtown 81 last week- stars jean michel basquiat, debbie harry, vincent gallo, fab 5 freddy, and has music from DNA, kid creole, and more. not a great movie, but very interesting and definitely a good view inside NYC in the early 80s.

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 05:48 PM   #47
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
No particular order (I tried not to choose more than one film by a director)

The Shining
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
High Plains Drifter
Cool Hand Luke
The Graduate
Annie Hall
Rushmore
Delicatessen
Blue Velvet
The Apartment
Being John Malkovitch
Seven Samurai
Stand By Me
Casablanca
The Big Sleep
This Is Spinal Tap
The Jerk
Road To Wellville
Psycho
Midnight Express
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 06:12 PM   #48
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
I don't want to write out a complete and orderly Top 20, but I'm pretty sure Stroszek, Dumb & Dumber, and Legally Blonde would be on there somewhere. I also like the movies I made with my brothers many years ago. Fantasia I've seen about a billion times. This one I liked as a kid too: http://www.amazon.com/The-Amazing-Bo...e=UTF8&s=video
And I have seen and own most of Willem Dafoe's movies. Most are absolute shit, of course. Wings of Desire fucking rules. Fitzcarraldo is overwhelming. Billy Elliot has like a T. Rex soundtrack and really does no wrong. The Tin Drum I refuse to buy (goddamn Criterion collection bullshit) but it's great nonetheless. A Clockwork Orange, one time I walked into my dorm room to find my roommate and her friends watching it (they had found it among my other movies) and it was at one of the rape parts, and just a little awkward, because they had no idea what the movie was actually about when they put it in. I think In & Out with Kevin Kline is a comedic masterpiece. I really like Giant but rarely watch it due to the length (I quote a former English teacher of mine when I say, "Liz Taylor was attractive for about 2 weeks fifty years ago.") I like Nashville a great deal. The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. I have a weakness for the William Hurt/Charlotte Gainsbourg version of Jane Eyre, whatever that means. Remember Milo & Otis? It took a lot of cats to make that movie (cliff scene, anyone?) Oh and Deliverance. I'm missing so much stuff, I can just feel it, nagging at me, but I am nowhere near my videos at the moment so I can't double check.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 12.08.2006, 06:13 PM   #49
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
I want to see Virgin Suicides again it has been a long time, I can't remember the whole story.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 06:14 PM   #50
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
My personal preferences:

Pi
The Wind Will Carry Us
Noi Albinoi
Take Care of Your Scarf, Tatjana
Django
Kandahar
Dog Soldiers
Drifting Clouds
Three Colours: White
What to do in Case of Fire
Real Fiction
Big Girls Don't Cry
Blackboards
The Duellists
Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are Dead
The Luzhin Defence
New Dragon Gate Inn
Der Golem
Withnail and I
Carry on at Your Convenience
Versus

Honourable mentions: Battleship Potemkin, 24 Hour Party People,Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, Drill Your Own Hole, The Devil's Backbone, Dogma, The Horseman On the Roof, Mallrats, Aliens, Alien 3, The Big Lebowski, Dog Day Afternoon, R-Point, Public Enemy, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, Peter's Friends

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 06:16 PM   #51
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikold
in not really any order:

8 1/2
fear & loathing in las vegas
whitey
django
the good the bad and the ugly
blue velvet
quilombo
alice
dead man
repo man
yojimbo
dark days
malcolm x
slacker
the big lebowski
the harder they come
harold and maude
a boy and his his dog
man bites dog
sweet sweetback's badasssssss song

oh, and i saw downtown 81 last week- stars jean michel basquiat, debbie harry, vincent gallo, fab 5 freddy, and has music from DNA, kid creole, and more. not a great movie, but very interesting and definitely a good view inside NYC in the early 80s.

You picked the right Lynch film. Lebowski is a Grade A comedy.
The Harder and Sweet Sweetback deserve the recognition.
I love Repo Man too, but didn't have the nerve to put it in a top 20. Sid and Nacy by Cox is probably a tad better for the amazing performance by Oldman, but as far as enjoyment goes, it's tough to top Repo Man.
Old 12.08.2006, 06:17 PM   #52
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
No particular order (I tried not to choose more than one film by a director)

The Shining
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
High Plains Drifter
Cool Hand Luke
The Graduate
Annie Hall
Rushmore
Delicatessen
Blue Velvet
The Apartment
Being John Malkovitch
Seven Samurai
Stand By Me
Casablanca
The Big Sleep
This Is Spinal Tap
The Jerk
Road To Wellville
Psycho
Midnight Express

Damn, The Jerk so fucking funny, as is This is Spinal Tap and The Apartment.

Three cheers for High Plains Drifter!

hip-hip-hooray!

All of those are in my top 100.
Old 12.08.2006, 06:21 PM   #53
atari 2600
invito al cielo

I can't believe people have the nerve to call me pretentious with lists like crypto's and Hip Priest's on display.

That crypto list is a real fucking hoot.
Old 12.08.2006, 06:24 PM   #54
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i would like to have time to craft a nice list here but i gotta go

i tend to lump things by directors mostly so i'll name briefly: fellini, kubrick, godard, jean-pierre melville, john waters, the kuchar brothers, the coen brothers, hitchock, fritz lang, passolini, woody allen, eisenstein, kurosawa, earlier scorsese (i hate his recent shit), cronenberg, david lynch, kaneto shindo who directed "onibaba", shohei imamura, hayao miyazaki (best anime director ever), jim jarmusch, christopher nolan who did memento & batman returns, lina wertmuller, sofia coppola-- lots & lots more but i really gotta go i gotta go... have a fun weekend people
Old 12.08.2006, 06:30 PM   #55
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Damn, The Jerk so fucking funny, as is This is Spinal Tap and The Apartment.

Three cheers for High Plains Drifter!

hip-hip-hooray!

All of those are in my top 100.

I read somewhere that the original idea for Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut is that it would be a sexual comedy starring Steve Martin, because he loved The Jerk.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 06:35 PM   #56
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not too well versed in film, but these would be my top 20 now:
  1. The Royal Tenenbaums
  2. Blue Velvet
  3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  4. Little Miss Sunshine
  5. Bottle Rocket
  6. Thumbsucker
  7. The Squid and the Whale
  8. The Life Aquatic
  9. Mullholland Drive
  10. Being John Malkovich
  11. Dr. Strangelove
  12. Rushmore
  13. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  14. Clerks
  15. Zoolander
  16. Magnolia
  17. Eraserhead
  18. Annie Hall
  19. This is Spinal Tap
  20. Kung Pow (so much fun to watch with friends)
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 06:35 PM   #57
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I read somewhere that the original idea for Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut is that it would be a sexual comedy starring Steve Martin, because he loved The Jerk.

It's based on Arthur Schnitzler’s racy book, Traumnovelle, about a quarter-life (as opposed to mid-life) crisis, but I seem to remember reading the same thing myself.
Old 12.08.2006, 06:41 PM   #58
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't seen that many movies but from what I've seen there are

Closer
Little Miss Sunshine
10 Things I hate About You(it is a damn good movie)
Breakfast Club
That's about it.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 06:43 PM   #59
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior

You must spread some sweet sweet love around before giving it to luxinterior again.
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 06:45 PM   #60
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I can't believe people have the nerve to call me pretentious with lists like crypto's and Hip Priest's on display.

People are always calling me pretentious because I can wrap my mind around films like Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban. And I just tell those people, "Go back, go back again and watch them closer. And afterwards, set aside some time for meditation." Going beyond the initial (juvenile) reaction of "OMG i luv Quidditch! lol," this is when you have to ask yourself the bigger questions like, "Will Gilderoy Lockhart ever be rehabilitated?", "Was Severus Snape once in love with Lily Potter?", and "Was Robin Hood a real person?" If only everyone put as much effort into viewing films as you and I do...

- Sebastian Bach

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth