Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Two Cool Rock Chicks Listening to Neu!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.15.2007, 10:19 PM   #1
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
My quest of over 10 years results in serendipitous triumph!

For those of you who don't know The Whitey Album, "Two Cool Rock Chicks Listening to Neu" is one of the songs on that record. It features Kim and Suzanne Sasic, a friend of the band, having a conversation about managing bands, while a song by Neu plays in the background. At the end of the song, J Mascis plays a guitar solo, and then that segues into a sample of some sort of hip-hoppy music that I love, with a great bass line.

For years, I've been trying to figure out what that sample is. I even asked Thurston once, and he didn't know! He said it was some music they used to play at the beginning of a rap video show on BET back in the 80's. I think they probably just recorded it off the TV.

Recently, I happened to stop at McDonald's, and I heard that music coming from a woman's headphones. I asked her what it was. Despite being in NYC, she didn't tell me to fuck off, but revealed that it was "Five Minutes of Funk" by Whodini! Since then, I've listened to that song, and it's basically the same, but on the Whitey Album, there's a lead guitar part. This makes me think one of two things:

1. J Mascis also soloed over that sample, although it doesn't sound like it.
2. Whodini sampled that music from something else, which featured the lead guitar.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my discovery. The chances of running into that woman at that moment were a million to one.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
oh man, that is a coincidence. Interesting read too! I haven't heard the whitey album in a while, but I adore pretty much all the tracks on it in a humoristic and a serious sense.
Old 01.15.2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
in a humoristic and a serious sense.

Good way to describe it. Some of the songs are kind of goofy, some are experimental, and some are great and could have fit on one of the "normal" SY LP's.
Old 01.15.2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, that's what I love about it! Tuff Titty Rap makes me laugh every time I show it to someone, and Into the Groovey is a well done madonna cover. Then there's songs like Platoon II and Macbeth that make it a mind-blowing album. Neat that Watt plays on it as well
Old 01.16.2007, 12:15 AM   #5
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
i got an email from somebody years ago that i just havent gotten around to incorporating into the song database (apparently my delay caused you much aggravation, apologies!), and it confirms:

"anyway, I think you were wondering what the sample that's playing during the j mascis guitar part of "2 rock chicks" is. it's the instrumental of "five minutes of funk" by whodini."

i always thought mascis soloed overtop of it, but haven't heard it in a while.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2007, 12:16 AM   #6
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
oh, and in case anyone was wonderin' about hendrix cosby:

it is indeed a real hendrix sample they use. it comes from "Doriella Du
Fontaine", which was originally recorded in 1969... basically a studio
jam session with Jimi (guitar, overdubbing bass later), Buddy Miles
(drums, overdubbing organ), and Lightnin' Rod, a member of the Last
Poets rappin' vocals. S-Y probably used the instrumental version,
scratchin' it up on a turntable. a very funky groove.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2007, 12:53 AM   #7
Marfloth
bad moon rising

Marfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant future
I love Neu!. and Can, and all Krautrock,
Marfloth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2007, 02:28 PM   #8
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
nice coincidence, indeed. congrat. to your find then.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2007, 04:56 PM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
neat

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2007, 05:50 PM   #10
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
wow, interesting.
Old 01.18.2007, 06:55 PM   #11
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses

silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2007, 11:10 PM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
here is a yout tube clip using lego men dancing to five minutes of funk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ8E4a8A6l8

here is some sort of dance instruction thing from someplace in asia using five minutes of funk to teach the hip and the hop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GcFu9S9C0E
Old 01.19.2007, 12:08 AM   #13
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
here is a yout tube clip using lego men dancing to five minutes of funk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ8E4a8A6l8

here is some sort of dance instruction thing from someplace in asia using five minutes of funk to teach the hip and the hop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GcFu9S9C0E

Excellent! Thanks!
Old 01.19.2007, 12:34 AM   #14
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Costanza
It was a million to one shot doc. A million to one.

good story.
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth