Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page RIP Robin Williams
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.13.2014, 11:10 AM   #41
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Robin Williams was one of the original apostles in the Church of Letterman me and a friend created back in high school.

when he was ON, doing stand up, there was no one faster, smarter, funnier, or more exhilarating to watch/listen to.
Old 08.13.2014, 11:13 AM   #42
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=Nefeli]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
Al Pacino […]
de niro […]
Hoffman

i don't hate pacino yet but he's had some terrible roles, e.g., carlito's way, or that stupid devil movie. i did like him in the merchant of venice though, last i recall, and donnie brasco, and other stuff. de niro, if you don't hate him yet, just watch "analyze this" and "analyze that" and "meet the parents/fockers/etc" and you'll be fed up with him for life.

the problem with these two is the same as many other people in business--- they will suck any cocks that are put in front of them and will never say no to anything, no matter how sucky. i mean. have they been in any seriously good movies lately?

how much better would it be if they made themselves scarce, and therefore more valuable--kinda like brando in his old age. well maybe not as reclusive, but damn, definitely more selective. according to imdb pacino is in 3 movies this year and deniro (dinero!) was in 7 yes 7 movies last year. 7, for fucks sakes.

hoffmann i think had the benefit of dying young. didn't have time to soil his career by becoming a caricature of himself for a paycheck.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2014, 12:15 PM   #43
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Just last week I read in a newspaper the celebrity gossip industry was hurting, magazines sales and ratings are down, and they were hoping for a major event like a celebrity death. Now they have 2 with Lauren Bacall passing, who epitomizes the word "star".

I think its hard to understand how someone who was so funny was also so miserable.

Pacino and DiNiro don't act anymore, they just play themselves. Its a great gig if you can get it. I guess many actors end up like this, in The Shootist both John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart are just playing themselves at the end of their careers.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2014, 12:46 PM   #44
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
If you haven't heard this yet, you really should set aside an hour and listen to his interview with Marc Maron.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...robin_williams

I remembering hearing this when it came out a few years ago and it shook me up then. Re-listening, it's . . . actually, can't find the right word.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2014, 12:50 PM   #45
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
forgot to say

Williams and i have no idea about his real life, despite his 'exaggeration', was the only one who could act (or was? if he was also acting as himself) a good soul, and/or a good soul feeling the pain, and/or a good soul with 100% empathy.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2014, 01:27 PM   #46
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Just last week I read in a newspaper the celebrity gossip industry was hurting, magazines sales and ratings are down, and they were hoping for a major event like a celebrity death.

you're not trying to say that perez hilton murdered robin williams and faked his suicide, are you?

Quote:
I think its hard to understand how someone who was so funny was also so miserable.

hard to understand? really???

to put it in the simplest of ways-- humor can be a coping mechanism to survive misery.

go to any war zone and you'll find the most jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
If you haven't heard this yet, you really should set aside an hour and listen to his interview with Marc Maron.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...robin_williams

1 hour izzz long! i'll check it out a bit. thanks?
Old 08.13.2014, 01:41 PM   #47
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Bump up the playback speed. Seriously, it's really good.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2014, 01:51 PM   #48
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBgJn1038
Old 08.13.2014, 02:34 PM   #49
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you're not trying to say that perez hilton murdered robin williams and faked his suicide, are you?

I'm just pointing out the coincidence. The conspiracy sites are now pointing out that antidepressants like prozac have side effects like suicide. If he was on meds they may have triggered this.

Quote:
to put it in the simplest of ways-- humor can be a coping mechanism to survive misery.
go to any war zone and you'll find the most jokes.
or Wall Street - he put on a great front, I grew up with the guy, we're talking 35 years - he was obviously a man of great extremes. And leftist, if you listen to the drug addict douche Limbaugh.
Old 08.13.2014, 05:07 PM   #50
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2014, 01:39 AM   #51
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i don't hate pacino yet but he's had some terrible roles, e.g., carlito's way, or that stupid devil movie. i did like him in the merchant of venice though, last i recall, and donnie brasco, and other stuff. de niro, if you don't hate him yet, just watch "analyze this" and "analyze that" and "meet the parents/fockers/etc" and you'll be fed up with him for life.

the problem with these two is the same as many other people in business--- they will suck any cocks that are put in front of them and will never say no to anything, no matter how sucky. i mean. have they been in any seriously good movies lately?

how much better would it be if they made themselves scarce, and therefore more valuable--kinda like brando in his old age. well maybe not as reclusive, but damn, definitely more selective. according to imdb pacino is in 3 movies this year and deniro (dinero!) was in 7 yes 7 movies last year. 7, for fucks sakes.

hoffmann i think had the benefit of dying young. didn't have time to soil his career by becoming a caricature of himself for a paycheck.

DeNiro has to be one of the most wasteful actors in terms of talent I can think of and it seems completely down to his own poor judgement. How he thought he could cut it as a comedian I'll never know. Pacino's not as bad. Despite making a fair few clunkers (no arguments about Devil's advocate), I definitely think he's got a bit more integrity than DeNiro. And I think a lot of people are less put off by the quality of his films or his roles than by the more ott style he seemed to adopt in the 90s. I hated his more shouty style at first but now I like it. But I know a lot of people really can't stand it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2014, 02:06 AM   #52
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Its the third page so by syg unofficial rules I can digress and talk about de niro and pacino... for de niro taxi driver.. ronin.. heat.. yeah there is some crap out there but those 3 are hall of fame on their own.. with pacino the godfather,serpico, and justice for all, scarface, are also enough to cancel out all that crap.. to get back on target, to address nefeli's point, prime shtick era robin williams (1987-1997) was over acted, which is why in that era he found his niche in kids movies, toys, hook, mrs doubtfire, jumanji, these mmovies were as tailor made for williams as willy wonka was for gene wilder.... for a better view of his more serious acting check awakenings, what dreams may come, or insomnia.... and as with de niro or pacino, those 3 are good enough to cancel out the crap. Also to rob's point, robin williams was one of the most rapid but brilliant stand up comedians, he knew his audience so he could be as raunchy or kid friendly as was appropriate and with unmatched speed.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2014, 02:42 AM   #53
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Heat is a ham fest that takes itself waaay too seriously (like all michael mann movies)
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2014, 08:21 AM   #54
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

hold on i just woke up and i realized something

when nefeli said hoffmann

did she mean philip seymour or dustin?

because dustin (i forgot his face for a moment, had to look it up) is another boomer idol who turned to shit-- from the graduate & midnight cowboy & all the president's men & papillon to… hook (robin wiliams was in it too) and kung fu panda & many unknown trash movies. poor man! i even forgot he existed. but this morning i realized he's a deniro/pacino contemporary.

so i was assuming philip seymour all along in the previous post.

=====

eta

Quote:
I'm just pointing out the coincidence.

the margarine conspiracy
Old 08.14.2014, 12:20 PM   #55
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
you guys all suck

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2014, 01:52 PM   #56
tesla69
Banned

Why did they have to tell the gorilla and upset her? What purpose did that serve? She didn't need to know.
Old 08.14.2014, 02:19 PM   #57
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Heat is a ham fest that takes itself waaay too seriously (like all michael mann movies)

That is true, but its still a great fucking flick.. that police shoot out scene alone is all-time..

Old 08.14.2014, 04:10 PM   #58
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
I had no interest in him as an actor. I liked the Fisher King. Other movies not that much, and I never got carried away by his acting.
Hearing that his death was more covered in the French media than Lauren Bacall's made me think he was really appreciated.

When John Frankenheimer died, there were lots of things about him on TV. I wondered why. Years later, I saw his good films, which blew me aw... I'm exaggerating a bit here. I mean, I understood.

For Robin Williams, I guess it will probably remain a mystery to me, as I never had access to those stand up moments mentioned above.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2014, 04:18 PM   #59
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

even with dated references, Williams' A Night at The Met, which I linked the first part of above, is awesome.
Old 08.14.2014, 04:31 PM   #60
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

http://www.hulu.com/watch/122122

An Hour with Robin Williams and Charlie Rose for those folks who somehow forgot that Robin Williams was a thoughtful, intelligent, and honest person. Also, people seem to forget the guy was Julliard trained actor..

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth