Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Starbucks to Release Sonic Youth Celebrity Compilation?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2007, 12:51 PM   #161
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
The name of the album comes from Eyeliner lyrics:

Eyeliner
1)eyeliner was so cheap / it was free it was easy to steal because no
sister would miss it really / why would anyone steal it anyway
2)you can apply it with the same expertise / as you have with yr guitar
just a bit so no one / gets too in yr face
1)--------------------------------hit the street and go look for angela / licking angela's thighs back and round + round
2)black lined lashes is punk rock sex / without all the hangups
hits are for squares / and so is money.
1)-------------------------------burnt english muffin crunches nicely between teeth w/ still a whole lotta future to go
1)bags of records as currency / for rent and cigs (and electricity -
shit: + phone). prostitutes / on chrystie and delancey
2)think i can afford sex / in sara delano roosevelt park??
maybe i look like a rich kid / or at least some kid w/ a bit of coin.
they will take it / i can't even imagine it.
1)no where to go but the back door / hard boot kick to metal void. 2)cold beer stench / speed plowed waitress
1)some art rock types working our way / to ice cream and thin sheet glory.
2)a smile on the jesus freak hooked on our show.
burnished hearts blind to / inevitable madness /take care of the devil, treat him w/ embrace / alive with mary magdalene's heart. / her eyes light the screen, a siren. / breasts somewhat buttoned/somewhat busting thru, / next town over - and i land into /exasperated non-finish. / deliver me into tour mode
1)fucking kids crashing thru the woods. /stream language, resilient nature,
ripping thru: stones, rocks, / fallen branch.
2)the chattering skulls of adult nayspeak / grimace. dead orange alerts annoy the bedroom gate.
the poems, like text-straps,/ soothe and protect, and beautify the insect click.
1)city noise, screeching car-things, / grandmothers in fractured finery a perfect day to taste a dogs coat. / puppy lust, n' luck
2)corrective licking strategies. / she motions for a light
curious / to the invasive fix. -- eyeliner
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2007, 01:24 PM   #162
matt g
bad moon rising

matt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's asses
superstore

society
matt g is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2007, 05:37 PM   #163
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
sonic youth suck, starbucks sucks.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2007, 10:14 PM   #164
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
OK, back to the subject:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/062407starbucks

Starbucks and Universal Music Group are now priming a release from Sonic Youth, according to information confirmed over the weekend. News of the upcoming project first emerged during an interview between Sonic Youth frontman Thurston Moore and Pitchfork. A media representative for Starbucks subsequently agreed to discuss the project with Digital Music News, and outlined specifics related to release date, track listing, and collaborating artists.

The release, a limited-edition compilation of Sonic Youth covers by well-known contributors, is expected in early 2008. It will be jointly released by both Starbucks Entertainment and Universal Special Markets, and will not be positioned under the freshly-launched Hear Music label, according to the representative. "This is not a Hear Music release," the representative underscored. But the album will be structured like "other joint venture releases," including the highly successful project involving Ray Charles, Concord Music Group (now a partner in Hear Music), and a number of big-name collaborators.

Other details were also disclosed. The Sonic Youth album will be titled Hits Are For Squares, and will specifically feature covers by Eddie Vedder, David Cross, Chloe Sevigny, Dave Eggers and Michelle Williams. In terms of product positioning, the release will only be available at Starbucks in US-based major markets Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, DC. Those outside of those markets can purchase the album at hearmusic.com.

Uh???
yeah... certainly no offense to SY but I really don't have much interest in hearing many of those "folks" cover their fav SY songs... what is this? is it like bad karoake nite at the local town inn??? Chloe Sevigny is a musician??? that confuse yr idols comp. was only remotely interesting due to the underground bands who contributed, and certainly not for the covers... not sure how is this going to fair even better. available in those fine select cities thats uh no biggee, i wasn't really gonna go out of my for this anyhow.
whatevs.
if they want to do this sort of venture to gain a market share so be it, i still respect them they have to make a living like all of us, and actually the music business is set up that a bands career is certainly finite. i'm sure they are fortunate with how far they've come, and they aren't afraid to push barriers. i dunno i don't hate starbucks and i don't necessary like them... but to "Hate" them, nah they never did anything personal to me... some of you folks need to get a grip and not be so critical about such things, because its like what have you done lately to even criticise?... Starbucks is a green company and everyone i've talked says they treat their employees very fairly, thats alot to say for a company of their stature in this day and age, there are companies that are better for sure but a hell of alot that are worse. sure they've pushed the little man (the ma and pa coffee shop) out of alot of places, but the same goes for every form of retail market, its a sad trend in america... (i.e. look at how many Walgreens or RiteAids or CVSs dominate a street corner, plazas and strip malls filled with Targets and Walmarts, F.Y.E.s, Bestbuys, and Mediaplays just to name a few in a city or town in the US).
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 05:29 PM   #166
charmehaar
empty page

charmehaar has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The world needs more sweatshops and more ignorant Bands to make business grow even faster.

http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/

we're gettin' there !
charmehaar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2007, 10:23 PM   #167
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
I opened a new thread about this album to try to avoid the starbuck debate. No luck there so back the original thread.:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/n...h-starbucks-cd

Vedder, Eggers Sign on for Sonic Youth Starbucks CD
Plus: David Cross, Chloe Sevigny

Chances are you're still reeling from last month's announcement that underground overlords Sonic Youth will soon release a compilation via Starbucks. What an age we live in!

Any self-pinching on your part would have been painful, however, as this is no daydream/nightmare. Today comes news, via the official press release, that this puppy 1.) is indeed happening, 2.) is titled Hits Are for Squares, and 3.) will hit Starbucks shops like a quadruple mocha espresso americano frappawhatever in early 2008.

In addition to presumed input from Beck, Jeff Tweedy, Marc Jacobs, Portia de Rossi, and Michelle Williams (all of whom Thurston Moore mentioned when we chatted with him back in June), the limited edition Hits Are for Squares will also include choice Sonic Youth cuts selected by the likes of Eddie Vedder, Dave Eggers (whoa, those two are practically anagrams-- telling!), David Cross, and Chloe Sevigny. Peruse the liner notes and you will also find quotes from these curators regarding their selections.

Technically a joint effort between Starbucks Entertainment and Universal Special Markets, Hits will be available for squares at Starbucks locations in select cities-- NYC, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia, and DC-- and online at the Starbucks label website, Hear Music.

What you won't find amid the biscotti and all those designer sweets at Starbucks is Sonic Youth playing Daydream Nation live in its scalding-coffee-hot entirety. For that, my friends, you must journey to the 2007 Pitchfork Music Festival (or one of several other locales). The Youth have a number of "regular" shows lined up as well, all recapped below.

Thurston Moore, meanwhile, hits squares with a solo album, Trees Outside the Academy, via his own Ecstatic Peace on September 18
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2007, 10:35 PM   #168
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
How come coffee shops aren't open 24 hours and copy shops are....what is the deal?

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 11:36 AM   #169
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
Starbucks: The coffee shop chain that took the 'beat' out of beatnik and replaced it with 'cheat' and 'defeat'.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2007, 10:38 AM   #170
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
to say this subject is overblown is saying coffee has caffeine

http://kittyradio.com/soapbox/jukebo...mpilation.html
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2007, 02:32 PM   #171
Groove(Y)
empty page

Groove(Y) ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
sir paul has had a head start of about 30 yeears on sonic yputh. so erm call the travelling willebies - they will sort out the consistent inscincerity of america, or will the canadiens? not them they is slappas i know grrr kelloggs
sir paul??? please don't call him that

Groove(Y) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2007, 11:14 AM   #172
clever name
bad moon rising

clever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's asses
People, this is the band that guested on Gilmore Girls. I'm only a recent SY initiate, and even I get it. So if you don't get their approach to cultural currency (they flippantly upend it at nearly every juncture), then I don't know what to tell you. But on the practical side, I used to work at a Starbucks, and most people who flip through those CD racks haven't a clue about my friend goo. Maybe the DDN buzz is jostling memories...
clever name is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2007, 12:13 PM   #173
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetengine
Starbucks: The coffee shop chain that took the 'beat' out of beatnik and replaced it with 'cheat' and 'defeat'.

Cheatnik? Ha! Sounds great
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2007, 12:33 PM   #174
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by clever name
People, this is the band that guested on Gilmore Girls. I'm only a recent SY initiate, and even I get it. So if you don't get their approach to cultural currency (they flippantly upend it at nearly every juncture), then I don't know what to tell you. But on the practical side, I used to work at a Starbucks, and most people who flip through those CD racks haven't a clue about my friend goo. Maybe the DDN buzz is jostling memories...

in a thread full of stupidity, here i come across the most moronic of all.

or maybe i'm wrong, did lee and steve quit the band and now the lineup is thurston, kim and coco?

anyway, i went to starbucks yesterday and there was no sy album, i am sad.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2007, 10:11 AM   #175
jico.
expwy. to yr skull

jico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's asses
idiot jornalists reading this thread, ever heard of sarcasm?
jico. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2007, 10:15 AM   #176
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jico.
idiot jornalists reading this thread, ever heard of sarcasm?

and what about sarcomas? or sarkozy?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2007, 10:29 AM   #177
sarramkrop

Yawn. Time to have a cup of starbucks coffee, because this thread made me all sleepy. Still going on about this bullshit, eh?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2007, 10:33 AM   #178
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Yawn. Time to have a cup of starbucks coffee, because this thread made me all sleepy. Still going on about this bullshit, eh?

well no one new has sold out yet, just wait until September when the word comes down that the Boredoms has signed on to the new Apple craze

the iEYE!

then and only then will people forget this story
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2007, 10:35 AM   #179
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
then and only then will people forget this story

I think we'd have all forgotten about it already if this thread wasn't so popular.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2007, 10:36 AM   #180
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I think we'd have all forgotten about it already if this thread wasn't so popular.

Look, I'm bumbing you and I want you to bump IT too! Let's go!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth