Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page "Classic Rock" Radio
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.13.2007, 06:21 PM   #1
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
I know it's a good thing to preserve music for younger listeners...but is Classic Rock radio ruining the music taste of our youngsters? (no offense intended for those who like some of those bands)

I mean, think about it. I know a lot of people who only pay attention to the music they play on those stations (who are my age). They don't show any interest in underground music (from the 60's to 80's) or much music being played in this day and age (that's not on the radio). Now we have a bunch people who listen exclusively to anything that sounds like AC/DC or Led Zeppelin, because of these stations. Also, this "classic rock" sound encourages other new bands to copy it (the reason why bands like Jet and Wolfmother are popular these days)

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 06:27 PM   #2
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Definately. Now they think that all that came from that period was stuff that sounded like AC/DC and James Gang. Because of that, even if they don't like the classic rock on the radio, they aren't going to give anything from that period a chance because they are going to assume it will be the same.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 07:40 PM   #3
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
Ashlee Simpson and hip-hop are ruining the music taste of youngsters a whole lot more than Zeppelin. There's a reason it's called classic - because it never goes out of style. People with creative enough brains will listen to more than just the radio. Those without will listen to whatever's given to them; they just pick a radio station that fits their taste. And I'm perfectly happy to let them listen to whatever they want, because they're probably not huge music fans to begin with. Music fans will seek out more than one genre of music.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 07:51 PM   #4
nomowish
children of satan

nomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
Ashlee Simpson and hip-hop are ruining the music taste of youngsters a whole lot more than Zeppelin. There's a reason it's called classic - because it never goes out of style. People with creative enough brains will listen to more than just the radio. Those without will listen to whatever's given to them; they just pick a radio station that fits their taste. And I'm perfectly happy to let them listen to whatever they want, because they're probably not huge music fans to begin with. Music fans will seek out more than one genre of music.

Hip-Hop? Rap in general? No, certain rappers - and especially their supporters - are "ruining the music taste of youngsters". As a "Music fan" you should know this.

Classic Rock stations blow because - unlike Pop stations - they will always play the same shit by the most popular artists of that time. You hear no Punk, Proto-, No-Wave, New Wave, etc. It's totally closed-minded crap.
nomowish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
this statement:
Quote:
There's a reason it's called classic - because it never goes out of style. People with creative enough brains will listen to more than just the radio. Those without will listen to whatever's given to them; they just pick a radio station that fits their taste. And I'm perfectly happy to let them listen to whatever they want, because they're probably not huge music fans to begin with. Music fans will seek out more than one genre of music.

rightly contradicts this:
Quote:
Ashlee Simpson and hip-hop are ruining the music taste of youngsters a whole lot more than Zeppelin.

anyway, any radio station that plays ac/dc is a good thing in my book
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 08:12 PM   #6
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hip-Hop? Rap in general? No, certain rappers - and especially their supporters - are "ruining the music taste of youngsters". As a "Music fan" you should know this.
touche to my generalization of hip-hop, to which there is some good stuff out there. but i think you still got my point. my phrases you put quotes around are in answer to the original post in this thread.

Quote:
You hear no Punk, Proto-, No-Wave, New Wave, etc.

you don't hear this on really any station except college stations on a car radio, but i think nowadays there are a lot more options on xm radio than regular radio. if one person prefers a punk/no-wave station to a classic rock station, you can't blame it on the station. the exposure to such music really exists only in the context of a car radio.

classic rock stations are what they are. nobody's on here dogging the stations that play "the oldies," songs of the '50s and '60s, and i suspect nobody on here listens to that. because it sounds dated to young people. obviously classic rock still has some appeal or young people wouldn't listen to it. i much prefer it to any rock of the '90s but that's my taste.
Old 03.13.2007, 08:38 PM   #7
nomowish
children of satan

nomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
classic rock stations are what they are. nobody's on here dogging the stations that play "the oldies," songs of the '50s and '60s, and i suspect nobody on here listens to that. because it sounds dated to young people.

Why do I never listen to those stations? I certainly don't think the music is dated. "At Last" by Etta James is my friggin shitttttt.
nomowish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 11:16 PM   #8
thewall91
children of satan

Quote:
"At Last" by Etta James is my friggin shitttttt.

it absolutely is, but i consider her more of a jazz/blues vocalist than "oldies". i'm talking about the stations that play the beach boys and "she loves you" era beatles. and before someone proclaims their love for that music, i'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, except you can see where it doesn't exactly appeal to young people, i think mainly because it sounds so much more innocent - what teenager today can relate to doing the stroll at the sock hop when they've seen brittany and madonna making out?
Old 03.13.2007, 11:20 PM   #9
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
every 13 year old boy in america who listens to classic rock radio...

tries to play stairway to heaven on a cheap stratocaster copy they got for christmas.
incessantly discusses what a genius jimi hendrix was.
idolizes pete townshend.

you get the idea.
Old 03.13.2007, 11:43 PM   #10
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Classic rock beats the ass of all the whiny bullshit in "mainstream rock."

Long live the oldies station.
Old 03.14.2007, 01:43 AM   #11
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
it IS curious that the stable long-lasting radio stations provide the same rotation of a mere couple hundred or so songs to encapsulate a whole 4 decades worth of music , but no consistent classic rock station will purely govern or bar anyone with enough desire to seek out more than what is presented to them there . people have different stages of interest and will find somethign that stimulates them at their own will .

when im at work or just out in general , i dont mind hearing those songs, either . i grew up with those songs and am still attracted to many of them . i prefer to hear other things as well , and when im the one in control i dont tend to put on a Led Zep lp as often as when i was younger, but i tell you i would MUCH rather listen to that than the modern stations attempting to mess around with nothing but britney or green day or the killers, at that .
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 08:39 AM   #12
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
classic rock radio is a terrible thing. it is album oriented rock that got stuck in a very bad groove back in 1985 or so and just cant get out of it. i dont know if it ruins the youth but it certainly prevents current bands from getting any radio play.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 08:46 AM   #13
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
every 13 year old boy in america who listens to classic rock radio...

tries to play stairway to heaven on a cheap stratocaster copy they got for christmas.
incessantly discusses what a genius jimi hendrix was.
idolizes pete townshend.

you get the idea.
As opposed to:

every 13 year old boy in america who listens to "alternative" rock radio...

tries to play smells like teen spirit on a cheap stratocaster copy he got for christmas.
incessantly discusses what a genius Kurt Cobain was.
idolizes Billy Corgan.

you get the idea.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 11:45 AM   #14
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
at the risk of sounding cheezy... BURN!
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth