Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café III
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.19.2014, 02:52 PM   #1381
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
new Pusha T track, prod by Kanye: https://www.audiomack.com/song/strai.../lunch-money-1

THAT FUCKING BEAT THOUGH.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2014, 04:21 PM   #1382
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, just dl'ed that this morning. I think Kanye's going to drop his album out of abso-fucking-lutely nowhere just like Pusha dropped this single.

Any day now.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2014, 07:56 PM   #1383
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Outkast
Aquemini
1998, LaFace
Outkast's third album takes the best parts of their first two, and then sheds all of their inhibitions allowing the group to explore the craziest experiments they can concoct. The result is nothing short of an absolute epic. Much like The Roots and their Soulquarians collective who would release Things Fall Apart a year later, Outkast and their Dungeon Family crew and extended fam would opt to create this record organically. Rather than write a bunch of songs and bring them into a studio to record, these songs all emerged out of jam sessions involving a rotating-door stance on guests. They also decided to abandon all preconceptions of what makes a hip hop album, opening up their sound to not only the electro-funk they had dabbled with on ATLiens but also embracing folk, jazz, blues and reggae. However what sounds like a mess on paper is a completely cohesive experience where not a note is wasted. A brief instrumental intro gives way to "Return Of The G," an insane rap track that hits hard and would have felt just as at home on their debut. Here the group lashes out at all nay-sayers who might see them as going in a soft hippy direction. The centerpiece of the album (or what would have closed out side A on the cassette) is "West Savannah," a track that was actually supposedly a leftover from Southernplayalistic while the album closer is "Chonkyfire" a hard hitting electro-rap piece with scorching guitars. These three pieces spread out to form a tripod for the record to stand on, and it's all the remaining songs that truly delve into the weirdness and genius of Outkast. The single "Rosa Parks" of course features a harmonica breakdown. "Synthesizer" features, well synthesizers and George Clinton. The two-parter "Da Art Of Storytellin'" begins with a tragic story of a soul lost to drugs and the hardship of life, while the second feels the armageddon. "Spottieottiedopaliscious" is a seven minute dub-reggae piece with barely more than spoken word to vocalize. "Nathaniel" is but a minute-long acapella piece performed over the phone. "Liberation" is a full on jazz-trio piece with improvisation and guest vocals from Cee-Lo and Erykah Badu. And having pointed to all these sight-seeing highlights, I haven't even mentioned the lyrics, all of which are just as crucial. This is a record that is sprawling, but never feels long. That's left-field, but never feels exclusionary. It is a complete and utter masterpiece that gets better with each and every listen as new revelations come through. The tricky thing about Outkast is that all of their albums could be your favorite. And this one... could be my favorite.
Old 11.20.2014, 09:59 AM   #1384
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Soooo... Pusha-T - "Lunch Money" ... Hip-Hop single of the year?

Yes it's a little goofy and boasty, and it has nothing on MNIM's better cuts (not lyrically anyway). It's a fun track, and an eccentric little semi-banger. But if this is the "fun teaser throwaway" single, imagine what the rest of Pusha and Ye's be material sounds like!!

And as louder so eloquently put it:

Quote:
Originally by louder:
THAT FUCKING BEAT THOUGH

... Yeezy continues to evolve despite already being a permanent resident of the future. On this track, he keeps the beat pretty consistent throughout, which is something he hasn't really done in a while. Actually, not since Graduation has crafted such a straight forward arrangement. Only back then he was still a disciple of the soul sound for the most part.

With "Lunch Money" (a straight-forward verse-hook-verse-hook track, even for the more traditionally minded Push) Ye combines pop structure with the glitchy, anxious, bizarre sound sampling style that gave Yeezus such a unique sound.

It's Kanye in both "Champion" & "On Sight" modes at once, and I've got to say it sounds fucking dope. You can even hear a slight nod to the footwork approach championed in Chi-town by the late DJ Rashad. I've always believed that Kanye West and footwork (the genre) were destined to cross paths at some point, and I truly hope this is our first taste of it.

This may be a fun throwaway teaser for titanic talents like Pusha and Ye, but compared to the rest of the year's singles, it sounds like the sole survivor of a zombie apocalypse. An incentive new hip-hop track with fresh blood pumping through its veins, in a sea of tired, necromantic beats lifted from last year's tired necromantic beats, many of which were themselves pretty tired and grave-robbing to begin with. (I'm looking at you, DJ Mustard.... The world has no need of you anymore. You've done your tired-ass thing over and over and over and over and doing it again is not going to do shit for your legacy as the king lowest-common-denominator club-bangery. Just fucking retire already.)

So again, I can't wait to hear what these two have in store for us in 2015, but I have no doubt that the alliance between King Push and Yeezy is one of almost limitless potential; a dynamic duo in the making.
Old 11.20.2014, 10:40 AM   #1385
Severian
invito al cielo

OI!! SUCHFRIENDS!!
I know you've been bored with the recent hip hop discussion in this thread, so maybe this will bring you back to the world of the living:

It seems our mutual friend (E-40) is releasing yet another *double* album titled "Sharp on All 4 Corners: 'Corner 1' & 'Corner 2.'" The title makes me suspect that a "corner 3" and "corner 4" are probably already finished and ready to ship, cuz that's just how '40 rolls.

Read about it here.

The deluxe edition features both volumes and the tracklist looks promising.
Hope this does somethin' for Ya.
Old 11.20.2014, 11:01 AM   #1386
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
fur TSTR...

Three 6 Mafia
Da Unbreakables
2003, Hypnotize Minds
The sixth (or seventh, or like 20th depending on how you count them) Three 6 Mafia album is one of those albums of theirs that completely defines the sound of their post-horrorcore work. In a way it's almost a stereotypical Three 6 album with it's creepy club bangers and the hopping from sex, drugs and violence themed tracks. There are only a handful of songs here that I'd call absolutely great. "Bin Laden" is a definite stand-out for instance with its gloomy beat and the sound of crickets (seriously, crickets) on the chorus that just add to the scary nocturnal atmosphere. While a bulk of the album has a bit of a same-ness to it all, that's not necessarily a bad thing. For one thing there's not a single track I'd say was bad. Basically everything here is damn good. Those few great songs however do much to make the really good stuff feel lesser. But all in all it's a solid record that would serve as a fantastic soundtrack to a night of debauchery. And while the 19 tracks may feel a bit long, remember that this is the sort of album meant to be thrown on in the background at a party and allowed to simmer for a long while.
Old 11.20.2014, 12:57 PM   #1387
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
yo, new J. Cole album dropping December 9th. i'm intrigued because:

A.) he's releasing it with no singles.

2.) he's been working with DJ Dahi, Hit-Boy, London on da Track and more recently.

here's the cover art:

Old 11.20.2014, 01:00 PM   #1388
louder
invito al cielo

Cole is one of the most skilled rappers, but artistically and musically he's never had much to offer besides some glimpses of brilliance every now and then. Born Sinner had some good songs but shit's got old quick, same with his previous one. will he finally step out of Kendrick's and Drake's shadow? we'll find out soon, i guess.
Old 11.20.2014, 01:18 PM   #1389
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yeah I always like Cole's songs a lot... but I just haven't really been convinced he's at this level yet where I want him to be. Like i feel like he COULD be amazing and he's almost amazing but he's not QUITE amazing. But I'll check this I'm sure.

BTW, did you guys know that the G-Unit EP finally got a physical release? And the Best Buy version has 2 bonus tracks, bumping it up to 8. Shit they coulda put a couple skits on there and called it an album haha. I think I'm gonna pick up a copy today.
Old 11.20.2014, 02:01 PM   #1390
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Aquemini is a hip hop masterpiece, both beats, production, and lyrical content. Its brilliant from beginning to end. Its also the last honest Outkast record before they evolved into concept albums and characters.. as to e40 dude is prolific but honestly I wish he'd slow it down and focus on a few tracks at a time.. he used to have THE BEST BEATS AND PRODUCTION IN THE WEST if not all of rap, but by putting out so many tracks at a time the beats are shit on these.new records. I miss the quality of earlier e40... also if you ninjaz keep posting three six mafia and y'all going to just be talking to yourselves

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2014, 02:17 PM   #1391
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Even the sun goes down, heroes eventually die,.horoscopes often lie, and sometimes why, nothing is for sure, nothing is for certain.nothing lasts forever but.until they close the curtain.... question.is every.ninja with dreads for the causem is.every ninja with gold.for.the fall? Cant always.depend on that dope money might not always be sufficient.... and some ninja took his shirt.off talkin bout.who.in da hell wanna mesa with Hollywood cole?

Old 11.20.2014, 03:04 PM   #1392
Severian
invito al cielo

J. Cole is passable. I can listen to him without getting pissed off about his music, but I never think, "Man, I could go for some J. Cole right about now!"

I don't think he's a particularly skilled rapper. I think he has an inflated ego, and I think he talks big, but so far he's done *zip* to back it up.

There's no point in hoping he'll get better. Most great hip-hop artists are unique and distinctly talented from day 1. Case in point: uhhh... Reasonable Doubt, Illmatic, good kid, MAAD city, The College Dropout, 36 Chambers, Ready to Die, and pretty much every debut album by every great artist.

J. Cole might make good record some day, provided he has enough producers and beat-makers and DJ's around to make his very ordinary flow sound special. But I think he's already forged his path, and it's one of slightly above-average but still pretty mediocre rap music that will one day populate the bargain bins.

And I don't think he's in Drake's shadow. I think Drake has gone off the deep end, and decided he'd rather be a giant douche playa-playa hand sign throwin' phony nerd ass bitch than an actual leader of the hip-hop community. He is the most annoying figure in rap, and I'm so sick of seeing his name on everyone's "featuring..." lists, and reading about him in at least 2-3 articles a day that I am starting to feel hatred for his actual music in addition his face, his haircut, his falsetto, his free-throws and his shameless corporate shill activities.

Yeah I'm BITTER today. Please don't insinuate that Kebdrick and Drake cast the same shadow. J. Cole is in Jigga's shadow, and he was supposed to have stolen HOV's crown by now. Oh wait, so was drake! Fuck em. Kendrick eats them alive. Kendrick, Rocky, Push, AK & Issa... These are the ninjas to watch. Drake is a guilty pleasure waiting to happen, and I want to step on his stupid face.

I still think "Tuesday" is catchy as hell, and I still like Nothing Was the Same, but man is that boy a bitch.
Old 11.20.2014, 03:05 PM   #1393
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh, the new Rick Ross has apparently leaked...
Old 11.20.2014, 03:24 PM   #1394
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I haven't heard anything from the new Ross. I'm not sure what to expect. I think Mastermind had a real good thematic quality to it. A lot of sort of throwbacks and what not. I feel like I'd like this new one if it's more of that. Maybe.
Old 11.20.2014, 07:50 PM   #1395
noisereductions
invito al cielo

verdict on new G-Unit EP: fucking good. Get the Best Buy edition w/ 2 bonus tracks, they are worth it. This EP destroys Animal Ambition though.
Old 11.21.2014, 04:22 PM   #1396
noisereductions
invito al cielo

G-Unit
The Beauty Of Independence
2014, G-Unit
In the decade since G-Unit's major label debut, there has been a huge change in the climate of hip hop. Remember that Beg For Mercy was released before anybody could have predicted that Lil Wayne would one day be a household name. While Kanye was just another of Hov's producers. Before young weirdos like Odd Future or Kendrick Lamar would change the game via Instagram and Youtube accounts. It's funny to realize that there was once a time that 50 was the biggest name in hip hop and G-Unit were the ones pushing the boundaries of mixtapes - ruling both the underground and overground at the same damn time. And in those years the G-Unit camp has gone through enough drama to make even the thought of a reunion seem ridiculous. But here we are. Of course they still haven't rekindled their partnership with The Game, so there's still room for wishful thinking, but 50 Cent, Tony Yayo, Lloyd Banks and Young Buck are all in the same booth again along with newcomer Kidd Kidd. And the result is so much better than it has any real right to be. With relevance something of a past tense for the group, with years of in-fighting an elephant in the room, with a new rookie member to try to learn to flow with, The Beauty Of Independence should be an airball. It should be forgotten just as abruptly and quietly as it was released. But instead it is a resounding statement of worth. It is a reminder of why G-Unit ever mattered to begin with. This is an EP brimming with confidence and skill from MC's that aren't just showing off their talents, but also reveling in them just as much as the listener. The fact that 50 openly addresses falling outs with Interscope and Dr. Dre, and the group touches on more personal issues with "Changes" also makes it a compelling listen for fans of the behind the scenes. The Havoc-produced opener "Watch Me" is a perfect note to start on with all MC's in top form. Though the base EP is just six songs, a Best Buy edition adds two more - one of which, "Ease Up" is worth tracking this version down for by all means. And though it clocks in at just around a half hour, it's nice to see that they went for quality over quantity here. Surely those eight tracks could have been padded by skits, guest-shots and outtakes from Animal Instincts to stretch it into an album. The fact that they didn't shows a wise new beginning for G-Unit, and I'm more than looking forward to what else might be in store for us from this unexpected renaissance.
Old 11.21.2014, 06:36 PM   #1397
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I haven't heard anything from the new Ross. I'm not sure what to expect. I think Mastermind had a real good thematic quality to it. A lot of sort of throwbacks and what not. I feel like I'd like this new one if it's more of that. Maybe.

I've been listening to it for a few hours.

I'm not gonna lie, it cooks right along. I don't think Ross has made a masterpiece since Teflon Don. But I like his records, and I look forward to his collaborative songs, which are always the best.

Hood Billionaire has some pretty embarrassing moments, lyric-wise, but the songs are satisfying and predictable and- like most Ross projects- kind of like a home cooked meal. No surprises, very few risks, virtually no significant stylistic deviations from every other dish Rosay has served.... But they're filling, and sometimes that's more than enough.

I have to say I was really looking forward to his new collaboration with HOV, titled "Movin' Bass." As I said, Ross's album highlights tend to be the tracks he lays down with other notable emcees. Kanye and Ross have a long history of dope tracks.. But with no Yeezy appearances on this album I had my eye on "Movin' Bass" (and the equally anti-climactic "Brimstone feat. Big K.R.I.T.")

Unfortunately, Jay-Z is relegated to chorus duty alone. That's right, Rick Ross cut a track with (arguably) the most famous and skilled rapper alive, and the undisputed elder statesman of the genre. Yup, he had his label head and boss in the studio with him (ostensibly-- though it kinda sounds like Jay phoned this one in) ...and rather than putting those formidable chops to work, he opted to have Jay say the name of the song a few times, with a few words of preamble.

The production on the track is more interesting than most of what you hear on modern mainstream rap records, but man- what a wasted opportunity.

The song with K.R.I.T. could easily pass for a song without K.R.I.T. I can't even remember what kind of contribution the "new king of the south" makes to the album's final song.... But it certainly doesn't contain any of that artist's distinctive style, delivery or personality.

But like I said, the album cooks. It has momentum and it's got a consisten energy to it. I'll have to listen more to perfect my assessment.
Good not great, worth the money.
Old 11.21.2014, 06:38 PM   #1398
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

More boojie bullshit...

Old 11.21.2014, 08:52 PM   #1399
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
More boojie bullshit...

Your negativity is ... Ah... losing its charm.
Old 11.21.2014, 08:58 PM   #1400
noisereductions
invito al cielo

payback for "FuckwithmeyouknowIgotit"?

I'm looking forward to hearing it. You know I love Mastermind. I'll give it a shot.

On the flip PLEASE listen to the new G-Unit and let me know what you think!

EDIT: Actually Ross got to kill it on "Fuckwithme" so nvmd.
60676869 70 71727380 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth