Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2020, 07:28 PM   #24601
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Be careful with US versions of the BBC adaptation, which is apparently shorter and messes around with the sequencing. Not sure how much all the (ahem) tinkering affects the basic plot but you'll need the original 7 episode version from the UK if you want to see it how it was originally intended, rather than the US's 6 episode 'remix'.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2020, 07:40 PM   #24602
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Be careful with US versions of the BBC adaptation, which is apparently shorter and messes around with the sequencing. Not sure how much all the (ahem) tinkering affects the basic plot but you'll need the original 7 episode version from the UK if you want to see it how it was originally intended, rather than the US's 6 episode 'remix'.
not online to rent unfortunately! online disc/vhs tape/something

maybe i’ll find it on youtube like yes minister...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2020, 08:24 PM   #24603
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
Danger: Diabolik!
If it can't be believed, let's not try to make it believable.
Highly more enjoyable than James Bond movies, visually stunning.

I always tell myself I'm a fan but if I'm brutally honest I'd say that's based solely on that one sequence in his underground lair, which as great as it is does only last about 15 minutes. Meanwhile the rest of the film is almost unwatchably boring.
Old 06.28.2020, 08:57 PM   #24604
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
scorsese’s “cape fear”

yes yes, this is a remake, but why is it so rarely mentioned among his best worlk? holy shit i just rewatched it after ages and wow. cmon. fucking masterpiece.
Old 06.29.2020, 03:02 AM   #24605
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

Watched the director's cut tonight.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2020, 03:03 AM   #24606
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
scorsese’s “cape fear”

yes yes, this is a remake, but why is it so rarely mentioned among his best worlk? holy shit i just rewatched it after ages and wow. cmon. fucking masterpiece.

It is an underrated film but I suppose it just suffers a bit from not really feeling like 'a Scorsese film', in terms of certain key ingredients he's associated with. I'd rank it above certain films (like The Irishman) which are more readily identifiable as Scorsese-type films, but while I'd fall short of calling it a masterpiece, regardless of who made it, I suspect it'd get more recognition if it had been directed by someone else.
Old 06.29.2020, 10:12 PM   #24607
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
It is an underrated film but I suppose it just suffers a bit from not really feeling like 'a Scorsese film', in terms of certain key ingredients he's associated with. I'd rank it above certain films (like The Irishman) which are more readily identifiable as Scorsese-type films, but while I'd fall short of calling it a masterpiece, regardless of who made it, I suspect it'd get more recognition if it had been directed by someone else.
the man is an artist not a stereotype and yeah the movie ends up heavily underrated—forgotten, even, under the shadow of the mafioso movies.

for one thing the cinematography is fucking spectacular. sure this is not an epic like goodfellas with tracking shots all over new york but the lighting and lens and shot choices and angles fit the claustrophobia and paranoia. glorious editing.

it’s an extremely intense movie and very hard for me to watch. i can watch joe pesci shooting some innocent kid no problem, but the thing with the clerk is just... way to open the fucking movie man. sheesh. marty really knows how to disturb.

then the performances, holy shit. that. wow.

deniro as max cady blows deniro as travis bickle out of the water. sure, bickle is more iconic, but performance wise, jeezus fucking christ, a virtuoso in his prime.

nick nolte apparently had to lose a ton of weight for the role and is just so good in it. i think generally he’s a very underrated actor and very good. he can be like a bully who carries a lot of pain. did you ever see him in “affliction”? or that other once with barbara streisand... prince of tides or something... it’s a bad movie based on a good book, but his performance is great in it.

jessica lange, i mean, she’s such a woman, but besides that, she’s such a tremendous actress, her ability to display emotion flickering under the surface is extraordinary. here or the postman rings twice or anywhere basically. i’m still looking for one she did with tommy lee jones in the 90s that i missed... BLUE SKY. but here, in the fight scenes with her husband, when she challenges and taunts him and mocks him... and later later with cady when she tries protect her daughter... she’s just fucking incredible.

and little juliette lewis at the start of her 90s fame was also brilliant. one moment acting like an idiotic 10 year old (“is she supposed to be 16?” you wonder) and then she’s exploding as this sharp tongued raging adult. works to a great effect. like a kitten that suddenly scratches your eyes out and bites your jugular.

plus the cameos of robert mitchum and gregory peck, hahahaha! wow.

anyway i think it’s a flawless piece. it’s not a symphony, it’s not opera—it’s insane gut wrenching chamber music, and deniro in the violin is just fucking maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. mad!

seriously deserving of a rewatch. for me really now one of his top ones in terms of intensity and performances and everything really. wow!

camera & light: flawless
editing: flawless
screenplay: tight
performances: supremo
Old 06.29.2020, 10:28 PM   #24608
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

anyway i just watched marriage story. very fucking good! i mean great story. and wow, darth vader can really act, and he sings too.

also was nice to see glorious scarlett outside of a superhero movie and not as a bombshell. i mean she’s hot as fuck, but with that haircut and crying at times looked like thurston lololollolol.

Old 06.30.2020, 11:52 AM   #24609
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
not online to rent unfortunately! online disc/vhs tape/something

maybe i’ll find it on youtube like yes minister...

Yeah, well, it’s just a nihilistic fucking nightmare and ends appropriately considering that fact.

My dad asked if it was any good. I likened it to Dunkirk, except with anxiety and people screaming in New York instead of war and bombs and shit. And with absolutely no sense of hopefulness or camaraderie.

Useless, fucking masturbatory ego-stroke of a movie. The overbearing score is the best part by far
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2020, 11:55 AM   #24610
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
anyway i just watched marriage story. very fucking good! i mean great story. and wow, darth vader can really act, and he sings too.

also was nice to see glorious scarlett outside of a superhero movie and not as a bombshell. i mean she’s hot as fuck, but with that haircut and crying at times looked like thurston lololollolol.

This was extremely good.
Both of them can act like crazy. And this was a tough scenario. Lots of up-close shots and earnestness and so on. I thought I saw the illusion break a bit during one of Scarlett’s monologues, but otherwise they both did magnificently

Pretty heartbreaking film, too.
Again, Noah B. — like Wes Anderson, minus the omnipresent absurdity — comes close to hitting Salingeresque notes of genius family dynamics.
Old 06.30.2020, 12:04 PM   #24611
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, well, it’s just a nihilistic fucking nightmare and ends appropriately considering that fact.

My dad asked if it was any good. I likened it to Dunkirk, except with anxiety and people screaming in New York instead of war and bombs and shit. And with absolutely no sense of hopefulness or camaraderie.

Useless, fucking masturbatory ego-stroke of a movie. The overbearing score is the best part by far
are... oh i think you’re quoting the wrong quote, but this is about uncut gems yeah?

i read the plot synopsis lol glad to be done with it.

bit of a disappointment for me because while adam sandler’s comedies are fucking stupid he does well in dramatic roles like that pta one about the yogurt guy.

and i thought his performance was good here too except he was portraying an asshole
Old 06.30.2020, 12:12 PM   #24612
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
This was extremely good.
Both of them can act like crazy. And this was a tough scenario. Lots of up-close shots and earnestness and so on. I thought I saw the illusion break a bit during one of Scarlett’s monologues, but otherwise they both did magnificently

Pretty heartbreaking film, too.
Again, Noah B. — like Wes Anderson, minus the omnipresent absurdity — comes close to hitting Salingeresque notes of genius family dynamics.
laura dern was fucking brilliant too. and ray liotta haaaahaahaa his character was something...
Old 06.30.2020, 12:49 PM   #24613
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
the man is an artist not a stereotype and yeah the movie ends up heavily underrated—forgotten, even, under the shadow of the mafioso movies.

for one thing the cinematography is fucking spectacular. sure this is not an epic like goodfellas with tracking shots all over new york but the lighting and lens and shot choices and angles fit the claustrophobia and paranoia. glorious editing.

it’s an extremely intense movie and very hard for me to watch. i can watch joe pesci shooting some innocent kid no problem, but the thing with the clerk is just... way to open the fucking movie man. sheesh. marty really knows how to disturb.

then the performances, holy shit. that. wow.

deniro as max cady blows deniro as travis bickle out of the water. sure, bickle is more iconic, but performance wise, jeezus fucking christ, a virtuoso in his prime.

nick nolte apparently had to lose a ton of weight for the role and is just so good in it. i think generally he’s a very underrated actor and very good. he can be like a bully who carries a lot of pain. did you ever see him in “affliction”? or that other once with barbara streisand... prince of tides or something... it’s a bad movie based on a good book, but his performance is great in it.

jessica lange, i mean, she’s such a woman, but besides that, she’s such a tremendous actress, her ability to display emotion flickering under the surface is extraordinary. here or the postman rings twice or anywhere basically. i’m still looking for one she did with tommy lee jones in the 90s that i missed... BLUE SKY. but here, in the fight scenes with her husband, when she challenges and taunts him and mocks him... and later later with cady when she tries protect her daughter... she’s just fucking incredible.

and little juliette lewis at the start of her 90s fame was also brilliant. one moment acting like an idiotic 10 year old (“is she supposed to be 16?” you wonder) and then she’s exploding as this sharp tongued raging adult. works to a great effect. like a kitten that suddenly scratches your eyes out and bites your jugular.

plus the cameos of robert mitchum and gregory peck, hahahaha! wow.

anyway i think it’s a flawless piece. it’s not a symphony, it’s not opera—it’s insane gut wrenching chamber music, and deniro in the violin is just fucking maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. mad!

seriously deserving of a rewatch. for me really now one of his top ones in terms of intensity and performances and everything really. wow!

camera & light: flawless
editing: flawless
screenplay: tight
performances: supremo

I feel much the same way about The Colo(u)r of Money. It's a sequel, very low key, with a cast that no one would ever associate with Scorsese, and yet I still rank it right up there with his very best work. which would also include the equally un-Scorsese-like Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.

As an aside on Cape Fear, did you pick up on Scorsese's regular little nods to The Creature From the Black Lagoon?
Old 06.30.2020, 01:09 PM   #24614
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:

I'm a huge Nick Nolte fan, ever since seeing him in 48 Hours. I know that's the film that broke Eddie Murphy but Nolte was absolutely fantastic in it. In many ways he's my ultimate tough-guy lead. The epitome of 'solid'. But with the range for pretty much anything.

Fuck it, I wanna go on a Nolte marathon now
Old 06.30.2020, 03:33 PM   #24615
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm a huge Nick Nolte fan, ever since seeing him in 48 Hours. I know that's the film that broke Eddie Murphy but Nolte was absolutely fantastic in it. In many ways he's my ultimate tough-guy lead. The epitome of 'solid'. But with the range for pretty much anything.

Fuck it, I wanna go on a Nolte marathon now
well well, i checked his filmography, turns out he got oscar nominations from the 2 flicks i mentioned: prince of tides and affliction. who knew?

check them. affliction is—wow. only complaint is soundtrack sounds a bit dated now. but still... oh and the james coburn cameo, holy fuck.
Old 06.30.2020, 08:12 PM   #24616
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
are... oh i think you’re quoting the wrong quote, but this is about uncut gems yeah?

i read the plot synopsis lol glad to be done with it.

bit of a disappointment for me because while adam sandler’s comedies are fucking stupid he does well in dramatic roles like that pta one about the yogurt guy.

and i thought his performance was good here too except he was portraying an asshole

It’s horrible,
Have you seen the Meyerwitz Stories? Pretty good. Sandler doing drama
(genius-family-drama a la, y’know, Salinger. It’s a Netflix movie too.)
Old 06.30.2020, 08:24 PM   #24617
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
It’s horrible,
Have you seen the Meyerwitz Stories? Pretty good. Sandler doing drama
(genius-family-drama a la, y’know, Salinger. It’s a Netflix movie too.)
oh yeah i saw his mug there with pacino or was it hoffman i always mix them up lol

it’s in my queue for one of these days
Old 07.05.2020, 10:17 PM   #24618
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
The Net, from 1995
Old 07.05.2020, 11:36 PM   #24619
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Probably following up with Cabin Boy.
Old 07.10.2020, 02:40 AM   #24620
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
731113111811221122812291230 1231 12321233123412411281 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth