Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Best in Modern Noise
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.01.2008, 12:05 AM   #81
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
This is true. One of the strangest things I've heard recently (not that weird, nevermind) is this track by The Gambler ft. Elaine Conrad called 'Death To Horses', which has come out on a white label in the NY club underground. It features Tony Conrad's niece playing, and it has been called 'disco-drone'. The thread-starter can indulge in the endless possibilities that music offers.

Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1eywgzmythi

really interesting stuff
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 04:13 AM   #82
gohleekwang
stalker

gohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Huh, I'd never heard of that track. I always find that sort of thing unfortunate when one artist spends a lot of energy dissing another. I can see where you're coming from then. Is it on a particular Branca album?

Indeterminate Activity of Resultant Masses.
gohleekwang is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 11:33 AM   #83
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
haha wow porky is really bringing the dickheadness to this thread...

now if you excuse me, I am going outside to play with my friends.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 11:59 AM   #84
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Somewhat off-topic, but here's some stuff for me that I would consider to be (in one way or another) highly influential in the genesis of modern Noise.

Iannis Xenakis - La Legende D'Eer: A piece that is very particular and precise, with a great use of dynamics, using treated electronic sound sources, which certainly has a real impact as the piece progresses.

AMM - Like A Cloud Hanging In The Sky (from "The Crypt 1968" album): About 15-20 mins in, the group interplay hits an intense section where it becomes impossible to distinguish who's doing what, and the cumulative effect and energy certainly hits a good few noise peaks. AMM would probably bristle as being referred to as "noise" nevertheless, as a keystone in improvisation/noise, this is an essential work in the Noise sphere.

John Coltrane - Live in Seattle: This recording showcases the interplay in particular between Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders, hitting moments where the sheer energy and passion of the playing becomes elevated and visceral. Viscerality is one of the key "ingredients" of Noise, and this recording certainly showcases this.

Evan Parker - Monoceros: Through using extended/circular breathing techniques, Parker's music here transcends the relative limitations of the soprano sax, and creates a sound that is intense, hard and powerful. This also goes way above any of the usual "jazz"/improv areas that Parker usually trades in, and it's direction and focus certainly guide the piece more towards "noise" than anything.
Old 11.01.2008, 12:03 PM   #85
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
As an addendumm, I would most certainly include Iancu Dumitrescu as being a proponent of Noise in the current Classical movement - hard juxtapositions of sound, often exploring a small sound spectrum to the limit (in particular, I'm thinking of his solo double bass/cello pieces).
Old 11.02.2008, 12:15 PM   #86
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
God, Dumitrescu... He's fair amazing. I've only heard some really quite poorly recorded things, which is a shame. I don't quite know how he pulls off this exceptionally 'abstract' timbral music without turning into that post-Webern plonking, but he does.

Not really noise, but I'd heartily recommend everyone check out some of Messiaen's organ works for music that makes little to no sense without actually being plinky-plonky bollocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2008, 05:46 PM   #87
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
wow, you two, thanks for the Olivier Messiaen and Iancu Dumitrescu reccomendations. This stuff's blowing my mind.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2008, 05:52 PM   #88
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
shut the fuck up.
this seriously made me laugh
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2008, 03:12 PM   #89
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
wow, you two, thanks for the Olivier Messiaen and Iancu Dumitrescu reccomendations. This stuff's blowing my mind.

Jennifer Bates doing the solo organ works (8 CDs) is expansive and brilliant; I'd avoid his bird song pieces. I'd jump on a train to the nearest vendor of Turangalila/ Quartet for the end of time and I'd sell a lung for a copy of St Francis of Assissi if I were you.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 11.03.2008, 03:25 PM   #90
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Jennifer Bates doing the solo organ works (8 CDs) is expansive and brilliant; I'd avoid his bird song pieces. I'd jump on a train to the nearest vendor of Turangalila/ Quartet for the end of time and I'd sell a lung for a copy of St Francis of Assissi if I were you.
listening to turangalia. so far (1 minute in) its amazing.
although i think that we are confusing a major difference in this thread- atonakl vs noise. big difference. i am also guilty of that. noise is more sound that cannot be notaded (like feedback), although that guy that nataded metal machine music might have ruined that theory. so i wouldnt consider cage, messaein, and the likes as noise. pandoreki (who i am guilty of adding to the list) might be borderline (but way more towards atonal) because while the notes are not notaded, the dynamics and timbres are. so i dont know. what actually qualifies as noise according to you guys?
and glice, whats wrong with messaens bird music? i have never heard it but have wanted to for a while....

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2008, 04:10 PM   #91
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
listening to turangalia. so far (1 minute in) its amazing.
although i think that we are confusing a major difference in this thread- atonakl vs noise. big difference. i am also guilty of that. noise is more sound that cannot be notaded (like feedback), although that guy that nataded metal machine music might have ruined that theory. so i wouldnt consider cage, messaein, and the likes as noise. pandoreki (who i am guilty of adding to the list) might be borderline (but way more towards atonal) because while the notes are not notaded, the dynamics and timbres are. so i dont know. what actually qualifies as noise according to you guys?
and glice, whats wrong with messaens bird music? i have never heard it but have wanted to for a while....

I thought we were OT more than anything else.

It's a real shame Noumenal doesn't post here any more - a real shame.

Messiaen's bird music just isn't that gripping is all.

There's a few different ideas of what noise is (he says simply). Some of them tend to lean toward the idea of the enharmonic, some (boo) toward the melodically strange, some towards stochasticism/ indeterminacy, some toward the idea that mastubatory teenagers with distortion pedals is a 'good thing'. I personally haven't really made my mind up, but I'd say I care a lot less than I used to.

Quote:
Old 11.03.2008, 04:11 PM   #92
Glice
invito al cielo

And of course there are those who'd distinguish between atonal, a-tonal and non-tonal. Probably Schoenberg. What a prick he was!

Quote:
Old 11.03.2008, 05:56 PM   #93
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This particular page on this particular thread is the most interesting/insightful/helpful/etc I've seen on here in a while.

Old 11.03.2008, 06:58 PM   #94
sarramkrop

MEV's 'Spacecraft' has some tonal hysterics going on that could easily being deemed as noise too. Amazing piece of music it is too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2008, 07:16 PM   #95
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

sarramkrop - have you got that AMM/MEV LP that came out aeons ago? I've been trying to get my sleazy hands on that one for years....
Old 11.03.2008, 07:19 PM   #96
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
sarramkrop - have you got that AMM/MEV LP that came out aeons ago? I've been trying to get my sleazy hands on that one for years....

No. It would be a sweet purchase, though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2008, 08:06 PM   #97
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh yes, the early gurus of electronic music comp.. amazing.

Old 11.03.2008, 08:20 PM   #98
sarramkrop

Thanks for that Steve Reich, by the way. I've listened to it last night and it's awesome stuff.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2008, 08:22 PM   #99
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Thanks for this too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2008, 08:41 PM   #100
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Pork, I hate to pimp my own music (no really! I haven't done it in months!), but I actually think this would be up your alley: http://www.last.fm/music/Robe./The+Third+Cinder ... it's droney/doomy kind of stuff but obviously indebted to avant-classical, minimalist music, and so on. No hard feelings if you don't want to check it out or don't end up liking it, just thought I'd mention it real quick.

Back to thread...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth