Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page classic albums atsonicpark edition # 25: secret chiefs 3 - book of horizons
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.20.2008, 12:27 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

SECRET CHIEFS 3, "BOOK OF HORIZONS"
2004, Web of Mimicry

I usually don't do this, but I felt like posting two of these today. Mainly because I'm really excited that this band has a new album coming soon but also because I truely feel that this is the greatest band currently making music today with the absolute best and most underrated guitarist around, Trey Spruance. But anyway...

This is a very recent album but when it came out, wow.. Secret Chiefs 3 have always been consistently producing incredible music, but this totally blew everyone away who actually cared about good music. Songs that range from something Ennio Morricone might write to haunted-house organ music to death metal to Middle Eastern music and played with the most topnotch technical skill imaginable. It's hard to even describe this stuff, it's just too good. Unbelievably ear-pleasing and beautiful. I can't really write a good review for it, as Mark Prindle really has a great review for it already posted: http://www.markprindle.com/secretchiefs.htm#horizons (complete with a gushing reader comment by yours truely...)... Just do me a favor, if you never listen to any of my reccomendations, listen to this one. You could very well be missing out on the best band around today.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 01:53 PM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
yes, mr. bungle, one of the best bands of the 90's, but waaaaaaay more crazed and fucked up and brilliant. some of the most talented musicians anywhere.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 08:05 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Easily!

Batreleaser, thank you for being one of the few people on this board to give me high hopes that not everyone here is some weird Dinosaur Jr fanatic. I'd also throw peopel like Zeropumpkins, Everyneurotic, Hayden, Paulybee, King Buzzo, and a few others on here who seem to actually care about hearing good music (sorry if I didn't include someone on here -- you know who you are). Though it's kinda nice to see that almost everyone else on here ignores this thread, because they'd rather talk about wanky guitar solo bullshit or some other shitty band that jacks off onto a xylaphone than talk about actual, honest-to-god good MUSIC. Oh well, I'll keep trying to make threads in support of good shit and hopefully get one or two people interested. Not that my musical tastes are "amazing" or anything, but who in their right mind would rather listen to "WITHOUT A SOUND" or "PSYCHOCANDY" over secret chiefs 3, without a doubt the best band still active in 2008. It's just odd to me.. in my small town of 40,000 people, I know at least 10 people who just absolutely love Secret Chiefs 3, Cerberus Shoal, all kinds of good music -- I kind of figured maybe some people on here would be into this stuff, but nah, they just ignore it. It's no big deal to me if people don't want to hear good music.... it just saddens me a bit... so many great bands deserve to be heard... oh well. Fuck it.

Old 03.20.2008, 10:19 PM   #4
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
anyone who thinks mr bungle was just a band for mike patton to excercise his weirdness obviously needs to hear secret chiefs 3, i think pattons talented and all, but this shit proves he was the weak link in that band. but just because i listen to shitloads of good music and we have a lotta same tastes i dont like dino jr. and psychocandy, i just like good soundin stuff. but i gotta thank you as well, since i logged on here you intro'd me to the goslings, truman's water, stars of the lid, and autistic daughters all of whom i have gone to gush over. not to mention robe and scissor shock, who i really enjoy, not even jerkin you off. if you are ever if the fine desert state of tucson we should meet up get high and make noise.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.21.2008, 06:31 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

good idea!

And I'm glad some people appreciate me..

Personally, I used to love Patton until I realized he had almost no talent; he just works with talented people.

Old 03.21.2008, 01:45 PM   #6
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
good idea!

And I'm glad some people appreciate me..

Personally, I used to love Patton until I realized he had almost no talent; he just works with talented people.

i still think hes better than most singers as far as creativity goes, problem is he tries to hard to be the unparalleled eye, i personally like his melodic vocals more than anything. i love his vocals on that FnM song 'midlife crisis'. and yes, he has a great knack for putting together amazing talent without the curse of the supergroup ever coming into play.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.21.2008, 11:45 PM   #7
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i love them, a friend of mine who is pattonphile says they are too extreme for him, same as disco volante which is not only the best but the only mr bungle album i love.

anyhoo, the chiefs, i really like them but it's not something i would put everyday. still, i got an itch to listen to book of horizons, which i'll do tomorrow.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2008, 11:15 AM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yyyyyyyyyeah.

everything on web of mimicry records is worth checking out, btw...

Old 03.22.2008, 12:59 PM   #9
batreleaser
invito al cielo

as usually its just us three chatting about a band that thurston has yet to give his seal of approval too.

the mentality here is usually, "thurston likes whitehouse, therefore i like whitehouse, therefore we must now discuss the brilliance of whitehouse".

listen to pink reason
Old 03.22.2008, 07:32 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Right.

That's what I was thinking earlier.. this band is insanely brilliant.. and very well-known, I checked the last.fm just now to see they have 600,000+ plays.. you'd think SOMEONE ELSE on here would talk about their brilliance, but instead bullshit like be your own pet and whatever other ecstatic peace bullshit gets jerked off over.

I post on this board because it seems like people on here would be more open minded and such. The TRONIKS board is pretty good even thugh it's just a straight-up noise board but there are lots of people over there that don't jerk off to Thurston Moore. And the Electrical Audio board is actually probably the best all around board I've posted to. I don't want to leave this place, but the cool people here are very few and far in between. It's not that I want their tastes to be perfectly aligned with mine, it's that I want people to have DIFFERENT tastes than "omigod dinosaur jr". And if that honestly is their taste, keep it to one thread instead of starting 600 threads about them. Ridiculous.

Old 03.22.2008, 07:43 PM   #11
batreleaser
invito al cielo

true, i dont post on any other boards, i might though. what are the url's for those boards?

listen to pink reason
Old 03.22.2008, 08:18 PM   #12
batreleaser
invito al cielo

i just made an account on tronix, id imagine you are adam cooley from scissorshock, im bat releaser again, see ya there homeboy...

by the way, my names adam too, adam lehrer.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.23.2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yyyyyyyyyeah.

everything on web of mimicry records is worth checking out, btw...

fuck yeah, asva!!!!
---

and about troniks, i don't know...it's a lot of like hating for hating's sake most of the time, the power electronics forum is an amusing read but other than that, i use it mostly for resource and for advertising. some cool people there, nonetheless.

---

and another thing, it's not even that they need the thurston seal of approval, it's like he might namedrop someone like dylan nyoukis or sickness or twodeadsluts onegoodfuck but people in here really are stuck with what thurston was into in the early 90's or what he puts out on the universal-distributed side of ecstatic peace; i mean fuck, i was talking to a friend a couple of months ago, about this exact same thing and he said "i bet in march, all sy fans are going to be into leslie keffer and critics are going to be writing about her" and i bet even some people who bought her tape with thurston and kim hardly realize who she is.
Old 03.23.2008, 08:10 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yeah honestly electrical audio might be the best message board.. i dunno.

people here are just stuck in the early 90's, period.

Old 03.23.2008, 08:47 PM   #15
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah honestly electrical audio might be the best message board.. i dunno.

people here are just stuck in the early 90's, period.

hey! screeching weasel recorded some classics in the early 90's, so there's nothing wrong with that.

edit: see you even influence people even when you don't mean to. your early 90's comment gave me the idea to start a favorite pop punk band thread.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2008, 09:24 PM   #16
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
fuck yeah, asva!!!!
---

and about troniks, i don't know...it's a lot of like hating for hating's sake most of the time, the power electronics forum is an amusing read but other than that, i use it mostly for resource and for advertising. some cool people there, nonetheless.

---

and another thing, it's not even that they need the thurston seal of approval, it's like he might namedrop someone like dylan nyoukis or sickness or twodeadsluts onegoodfuck but people in here really are stuck with what thurston was into in the early 90's or what he puts out on the universal-distributed side of ecstatic peace; i mean fuck, i was talking to a friend a couple of months ago, about this exact same thing and he said "i bet in march, all sy fans are going to be into leslie keffer and critics are going to be writing about her" and i bet even some people who bought her tape with thurston and kim hardly realize who she is.

ive already noticed that about troniks after posting for a couple days, and a lot of those dudes are noise or bust, or extreme or bust. and yeah that thurston thing is true. by the way, twodeadslutsnegoodfuck! is a crazy band! i saw em in boston a while back and it was a good fuckin time. ive heard a lot of hatin on them for being offensive for offensiveness sake, but i say thats bullshit.

listen to pink reason
Old 03.23.2008, 09:31 PM   #17
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

i've heard they are jerks to promoters and other bands playing with them at shows, but that's not a personal account really.

i still enjoy their noise, girls born in the 90's is fucking awesome.
Old 03.23.2008, 09:31 PM   #18
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I think I downloaded a Secret Chiefs 3 album a while back when giving the Mr. Bungle crew a glancing over. Whatever I downloaded didn't seem to catch my interest (prehaps I was expecting something else?) and my growing distaste for Patton had me dropping it (makes no sense, I know, he has nothing to do with this). Though I did respect SC3's shifting styles but at the time it appeared gimmicky to me. I will look into them, particularly this album, again.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2008, 09:33 PM   #19
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

listening to book of horizons again this morning, i noticed they sound a lot like estradasphere minus the wanky solos and with more extreme metal thrown in there.
Old 03.23.2008, 09:36 PM   #20
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I had a music appreciation class taught by either a friend of or sister of one of the estradasphere lads. I think she was what got me into looking into SC3 and all after I would discuss the Residents with her during class while everyone else was glass eyed.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth