Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Girl In A Band: A Memoir
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.07.2015, 10:05 AM   #261
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I don't need to read about every personal detail of kim's life to know she hasn't "changed" or is "not the kim she used to be" so....

Again its not a "sonic youth fanner than thou" pissing contest. I ain't hating on you or anyonefor reading the book, just sharing my own personal perspective as to why I'm not interested

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2015, 10:07 AM   #262
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion is next
i love them as musicians and i wanna keep that feeling that way.

Brilliant posting, my sentiments exactly.. Kim is not my aunt or a personal friend, she is an artist whose work i very much enjoy. So i don't feel the need to delve too deeply into her bio, i like the art to speak for itself

Old 03.07.2015, 12:33 PM   #263
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I don't need to read about every personal detail of kim's life to know she hasn't "changed" or is "not the kim she used to be" so....

Again its not a "sonic youth fanner than thou" pissing contest. I ain't hating on you or anyonefor reading the book, just sharing my own personal perspective as to why I'm not interested
Oh im not reading it either.
Old 03.07.2015, 09:23 PM   #264
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
I finished reading the book last night. I found it a very tender, fascinating, painful + moving read. And so revealing.

I've long considered Kim to be the 'soul' of Sonic Youth, and this book, to me, was proof of that.

I would have loved more Sonic Youth talk; for example, stuff on the time their gear was stolen; more thoughts on 'becoming mainstream', or the attempt to become so, when they signed to Geffen; more thoughts on individual tracks on each album, not just one or two per album, etc. But this is supposed to be a book anyone could read, and it would be too much for a non/casual fan to have to read about what she thinks of 'Dude Ranch Nurse'.

Yes, she is still angry with Thurston -- and has every right to be angry. I would be too if I gave 30 years of my life to a person who ended up lying to me and cheating on me.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2015, 07:48 PM   #265
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
Yes, she is still angry with Thurston -- and has every right to be angry. I would be too if I gave 30 years of my life to a person who ended up lying to me and cheating on me.

You don't know the whole story. Maybe Kim's side is the whole story and Thurston was just selfish. But none of us knows what happened prior to his affair.
Old 03.08.2015, 08:19 PM   #266
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

So for those who read or at least own a copy, how much is devoted to personal shit and how much to music? Give me a ratio please im curious

Old 03.08.2015, 08:34 PM   #267
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
So for those who read or at least own a copy, how much is devoted to personal shit and how much to music? Give me a ratio please im curious

Hard to quantify, but I would say most of the book is personal or at least non-music. For example, talking about her X-Girl clothing line is not music, but I wouldn't consider that "personal", either. But there's a lot in there that gives you an idea of who Kim is as a human being. I've seem people on here discussing how "cold" or stand-offish Kim can be around fans. But after reading this book, you can appreciate why, if you didn't already.

I find it very interesting to learn about the person behind the music.
Old 03.09.2015, 03:07 AM   #268
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
You don't know the whole story. Maybe Kim's side is the whole story and Thurston was just selfish. But none of us knows what happened prior to his affair.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Magic Wheel Memory again."
Old 03.09.2015, 11:34 AM   #269
bunnyboyz
Banned

bunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's asses
Courtney Love finally made a tweet on twitter about the book two days ago. LOL

Courtney Love Cobain ‏@Courtney · Mar 7
@alka_seltzer666 @lynzway @KimletGordon Omg I beat you to it, but I bought 6 copies. you wicked child xx

Looks like Courtney bought 6 copies for her and Francis so they can wipe their asses with it. LOL.

Kim talks about Tobi and Kathleen not being at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the book. But she doesn't talk about why Francis and Coco weren't at the Rock Hall of Fame. I wonder why they weren't there? Why didn't Sonic Youth go? That was really lame of them.
bunnyboyz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2015, 01:04 PM   #270
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Hahha.. i don't usually support Courtney Love related cat fights but this is brilliant.

Old 03.09.2015, 03:17 PM   #271
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Courtney is a badass
Old 03.09.2015, 03:41 PM   #272
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
that pic. made me laugh.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2015, 05:32 PM   #273
hiland
children of satan

hiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I've long considered Kim to be the 'soul' of Sonic Youth, and this book, to me, was proof of that.

Honestly, their post SY releases have proven this IMO.
hiland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2015, 05:48 PM   #274
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
I understand not reading a book by or about someone I don't find interesting. I can appreciate Kim as a vocalist, and her sense of fashion is sometimes interesting (two things I wouldn't have considered "art" some years back. I've changed my mind on that in more recent times which I'm thankful for, for my own sake). I say I don't find Kim interesting, and my opinion regarding her being "superficial" is based off what little she's vocalized through the years. Now she says a lot and there's some newfound interest in her. Or maybe the newfound interest is based more off the fact that she was cheated on than anything else. I mean before this, she was always sort of the "mystery" element of what was Sonic Youth. Then all of this and she just seems soooo obvious as a person. The fans become so obvious as people. It's like watching a bunch of folks whine over some Lifetime movie and I find that strange. I do find her interesting within the context of Sonic Youth. She's important in that realm. I can understand why others might find her interesting in other ways, even if I tend to disagree most of the time. And it's not that I don't appreciate women as some have suggested. I just think it's silly when they have to talk about what it means to be a woman in rock, as opposed to just rocking the fuck out which has endless more to say. Anyone who knows me knows my love for Patti Smith, as a person as well as an artist, is on par with any of those other people I've praised through the years...most notably Iggy Pop. They are both two different sides of the same coin. Both understand the beauty of going batshit crazy for art's sake, as well as how to calm down for the sake of intelligent convo. I like when people are multifaceted and willing to reinvent themselves for virtually any reason. It's OK for people to contradict themselves. It's OK to not be the same person all the time.

shit man, the whole band used to be mysterious to me. then you grow up and realize nothings really mysterious. you lose yr virginity, but not in like a sexual way or for the first time way, but in finally getting that woman you've always wanted. then saying ok. got it. moving along.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2015, 06:28 PM   #275
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

i must disagree with that, the soul of sonic youth was and will be Thurston, since the early days until now, sonic youth it's his vision about rock n' noise.

and yeah if i gave 30 years of my life to a person who ended up lying to me and cheating on me i will be angry.
confusion is next is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2015, 06:30 PM   #276
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyboyz
Courtney Love finally made a tweet on twitter about the book two days ago. LOL

Courtney Love Cobain ‏@Courtney · Mar 7
@alka_seltzer666 @lynzway @KimletGordon Omg I beat you to it, but I bought 6 copies. you wicked child xx

Looks like Courtney bought 6 copies for her and Francis so they can wipe their asses with it. LOL.

Kim talks about Tobi and Kathleen not being at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the book. But she doesn't talk about why Francis and Coco weren't at the Rock Hall of Fame. I wonder why they weren't there? Why didn't Sonic Youth go? That was really lame of them.

hahaha she's funny...and also needs some psycho therapy!
Old 03.09.2015, 07:36 PM   #277
secretmonalisa
empty page

secretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's asses
Kim says she disliked Eva long before Eva became involved with Thurston, because of her crazy evil ways. I'm guessing the evil ways include becoming pregnant by the son of Princess Christina so he'd marry her, then becoming pregnant with T. so he'd leave Kim for her. Not much feminism there.
secretmonalisa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2015, 08:39 PM   #278
confusion is next
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmonalisa
then becoming pregnant with T. so he'd leave Kim for her. Not much feminism there.

pregnant ? what do you know about feminism ? prove it :
Old 03.09.2015, 09:26 PM   #279
secretmonalisa
empty page

secretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's asses
Obviously I don't know enough about feminism. When I was in high school and heard that Kim was married to Thurston I thought, "But I thought feminists didn't marry!" And how does royalty fit into the mix? Dutch Princess Christina, whose godfather was Winston Churchill and who lives in London, was born into the House of Lippe. Thurston's recent "Lip" video shows scenes of anti-authority. Eva posted on Facebook a photo of herself holding a sign saying Down with Royalty. Maybe the royals are claiming full rights to the kids who were named after several royals. It reads like a turbulent international romance novel, not just a rock & roll story. Although I'd rather go to a SY concert than read such a steamy story.
secretmonalisa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2015, 12:26 AM   #280
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

humanity = complex

does revolution lie in her hips or in his cock?

Both?

Does it really fucking matter?
111213 14 151617 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth