Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page HOW was Portishead's ATP?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.21.2007, 08:37 AM   #1
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
nobody started a thread on this??
did I miss something?
enlighten me.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 08:56 AM   #2
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Hui, i totally forgot about that.

Come on, somebody has to have info.
Don't be shy
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting comments on dime (I haven't grabbed the show as I prefer to hear the new record first):
Quote:
by veilofvirtue: My review:

While the new songs are sounding really good, and Beth sounded solid throughout most of the show, I was really disappointed with the musicianship among the rest of the band.

For some reason, the band seemed to play the majority of the older songs much too slow. Mysterons, Glory Box, Sour Times, Only You, Cowboys and Roads all seemed to drag at a lackluster tempo, and Numb was "mind-numbingly" sluggish.

The mixing wasn't all that great, the vocals were too quiet, the backing tracks were too loud (like the violin in Glory Box), and the drumming had a lot of issues.

I did love the rendition of Wandering Star, though.

This was the first real Portishead show in a long time, so theres bound to be some flaws, but it seems excessive on part of the band.

Still, thank you for sharing this concert, the new songs were great, and I can't wait for the new album to come out!

Quote:
by persistent: It's amazing the different perspectives that people have. I couldn't disagree more with the comments about 'bad musicianship', bad mix, and slow tempo.

Well, I can agree the temp was a tiny bit slow, but I liked it. As for beth being low in the mix, she was always low in the mix at live gigs. I recently went back and listened to some of the first tapes I ever made - the '97 and '98 tours and the mix is comparable.

As for bad musicianship, I can't even begin to figure out where that assessment comes from. Through the whole show I kept thinking to myself how amazing the entire performance was. Some of Ade's guitar solos were just tear wrenching. Beth has quit smoking and I think it does her voice some good.

At least I think we can all agree that Wandering Star was beautiful in its minimalism - just the band proper, Andy, Ade, and Beth, performing.

As for the two shows: the band performed on the smaller Centre stage so they did two shows to give everyone a chance to see them perform. You were only allowed to attend one of the two shows - not both. (I however, after traveling 5500 miles to see them, took matters into my own hands.)
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 11:16 AM   #4
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
UH, my question was on the whole festival, not just on portishead's performances .
I should have titled this thread "how was the ATP 2008 curated by Portishead, you guys who went and never posted about that?"
Old 12.21.2007, 12:28 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
this made me wish i lived in england, i never liked portishead or any of the so called "trip hop" but the lineup for this was so goddamned amazing.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
As T&B, Nefeli and Iain will no doubt testify, I was fucking obliterated for Saturday and Friday. I think the line-up wasn't as good as last year. I was surprised that the Horrors weren't shit. Thurston didn't do it for me, neither did Glenn Branca's second set.

The GZA, Aphex on Sunday and Sunn all pwned hardstyle, and John Cooper Clarke was a welcome relief. The people I know that were playing were all as good as I've seen them, if not better, which was nice.

In spite of the line-up rubbishness, it was generally as good a laugh as it was last year and I managed to drink a cuntload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 12:52 PM   #7
nicfit
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
As T&B, Nefeli and Iain will no doubt testify, I was fucking obliterated for Saturday and Friday.
Thanks for the report!
I opened this thread coz I saw posts by said board members and still no proper "news" on the event. I thought you all went on an undercover intelligence operation instead of actually going to the festival.
Old 12.22.2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoyed smoking with Nefeli as well. That's not a metaphor, in case anyone's got a filthy mind. I liked her crazy foreign cigarettes. The banging on the tables got very annoying by Sunday.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.22.2007, 06:01 AM   #9
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Portishead bore the shit out of me. I'm selling a copy of Dummy if anyone is interested.
Old 12.22.2007, 08:16 AM   #10
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Portishead bore the shit out of me. I'm selling a copy of Dummy if anyone is interested.

I love Portishead (especially because of the Gainsbourg influence I guess).
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2007, 08:08 PM   #11
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I just don't dig em. If you want trip hop, listen to DJ Shadow IMO.
Old 01.16.2008, 09:12 AM   #14
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks a lot, sarramkrop.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2008, 12:45 PM   #15
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
thanks nefeli for all these, especially the Thurston @ scala, is there a complete audio recording for this? also i'm sure it was profesionally filmed

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 06:40 AM   #17
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
You were at the opposite end of the stage to me... That makes me even more annoyed that I didn't see you.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2008, 06:20 PM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

Ah, you're in thought-forms. I may have played with you. Did you play Bricky's birthday thing?

Quote:
Old 01.17.2008, 06:21 PM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

'With' in the sense of the same bill. Not sexually, obviously.

Quote:
Old 01.18.2008, 12:22 PM   #20
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie
yes I did are you lone guitar man?! or were you a part of Bricky's kraut noise collective, haha

I very much enjoyed everyone that night!

Solo guitar man. I was also guitaring at the back in the Kraut ensemble. I enjoyed your set - apologies for my loudmouthed mate nattering all the way through it (assuming you could hear from where you were).

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth