Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth in East-European countries?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.20.2006, 07:40 AM   #1
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
I think many Sonic Youth fans feel the same shit when the see that the Sonic Calendar endlessly missfeature their country on it. There are countries like Roamnia where you can not find even the most recent Sonic LPs/CD's. What can do a fan who can't afford to travel in other nearby country or can't buy the albums form the internet? Will ever came the time when Sonic Youth will play in those small and undeveloped countries?
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
they wont play there cause there is no big interest for them probably. it wouldnt pay out for anyone to have gig with sy (altho i think they dont charge much) if only a couple hundred people would turn up.
im sure the band members themselves would like to go to as many places as possible but it does not depend on them.

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 10:16 AM   #3
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
You say that, but they played in Turkey lasy year, and that's not a place where you'd expect to find lots of SY fans. Don't lose hope!
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 10:26 AM   #4
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
as the years go by, i think the chances are better, as countries like Romania, Hungary, the Baltic States, some Balkan states (like Slovenia, Croatia, and the new independant republic of Montenegro) and places like Ukraine, where closer ties to the EU could mean new forays

where as Russia, they might not feel confident going in on their own, dealing with customs, and many of the censorship issues
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 10:38 AM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
as the years go by, i think the chances are better, as countries like Romania, Hungary, the Baltic States, some Balkan states (like Slovenia, Croatia, and the new independant republic of Montenegro) and places like Ukraine, where closer ties to the EU could mean new forays

where as Russia, they might not feel confident going in on their own, dealing with customs, and many of the censorship issues
Good point. With so many of the Eastern European countries now being in the EU, one would expect that it would be easier for them to get Visas than in the past.

I think I remember reading that when they played in the USSR in 1989, it wasn't very good experience for them. Maybe that's put them off?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
they played in hungary once!
i was there.
fuckin awsome concert. shame it was on this shabby festival...
i saw them playing diamond sea live so i did not give a fuck.
but i know myself - being a promoter - that they would not attract enough people to make it a financially sucsessfull night - even tho sy are getting kinda trendy nowdays in certain circles here in budapest..

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 04:44 AM   #7
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Yep... Romania is now in EU, but we're still a fucking retarded, comunist-chained country! You're right, you can't play in front of 20 braind-dead people. The hope is not dead, maybe in 5-10 years some things will change. Untill then, for sure, i'll see them at some festival across Europe!
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2008, 04:47 PM   #8
ingram
children of satan

ingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia

ingram is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2008, 04:12 AM   #9
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
hey Andrei, you welcome for SY gig over here (when they play here next time). at least you save on accommodation + some cheap ryanair flight...and you're laughing. but you never know, they might play Romania on their next tour.

I'm glad Czecho-Slovakia isn't mentioned in this thread, coz honestly I don't think it's eastern European country....ok geographicaly speaking, hehe. And yeah, they played here (I mean there) in '92, '96, '07 which is cool compare to other former communist countries. Yeah, they did Hungary in '96. they played Poland for first time last year, didn't they?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth