Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Velvet Underground thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.15.2007, 05:33 AM   #41
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
Can anyone lead me to a link of that rare acetate that was on ebay a while ago? I missed it the first time around.

I'll upload something later for you guys.

Check out this thread. It's widely available on many blogs.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10297
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2007, 05:35 AM   #42
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOUT
That's so precious...

Chout, will you take me to Disneyland if i pay you a visit? I'll call you Lou for the duration of the trip, promised.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2007, 12:22 PM   #43
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Chout, will you take me to Disneyland if i pay you a visit? I'll call you Lou for the duration of the trip, promised.
Yes, and one of us will have to pretend to be crippled/injured...I went there in '91 with a cast on my leg and they let us on all the rides without waiting in any lines ever since I was in a wheelchair. We'll post footage of our excursion...Kegmama can be our filmer.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2007, 06:01 PM   #44
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Ive got White light white heat now, i never liked the first album, lou reed is such a dull performer in my humbleness, i understand the influence but it just doesnt wash with me. I like the more Venus in Furs type songs, so perhaps this album will serve me better.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2007, 06:20 PM   #45
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses

peel slowly and see
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2007, 11:08 AM   #46
sarramkrop

John Cale live 1983

Hello, I'm back again. Other things to do, some trouble with my internet provider, such were things that kept me from posting.
My first "new" post is a fantastic live performance by the great John Cale from March 7th 1983 in the Markthalle in Hamburg. Just him solo with his guitar and piano, very intense, but also very charming as he was in pretty good mood, joked with the audience and seemed to have a good time himself. Until then I had only heard very little by John Cale, but after this concert I was hooked. I have seen him a few times since then, mostly solo but 2003 he played a free open-air in Oldenburg with a band.

The sound quality is pretty good as it was later broadcasted on NDR 2.

John Cale live 07.03.1983, Markthalle Hamburg part 1

John Cale live 07.03.1983, Markthalle Hamburg part 2 reup!

The second post is a performance John Cale gave in the studios of BFBS in Cologne on February 5th 1984 in Alan Bangs' show Nightflight. It#s not the complete show, only a few songs, among them also a Jonathan Richman song and "Song to the siren" by This Mortal Coil (played on 33rpm!), but that's what was on the tape.

John Cale live 05.02.1984, BFBS

Tracklists are in the comments!
http://not-rock-on.blogspot.com/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2007, 12:57 PM   #47
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Sterling Morrison was fucking hot.

Moe Tucker is adorable.

I've always preferred Nico to Lou Reed. Her songs have always been my favorite from the VU's debut. Chelsea Girls is solid.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2007, 02:30 PM   #48
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
Sterling Morrison was fucking hot.

Moe Tucker is adorable.

I've always preferred Nico to Lou Reed. Her songs have always been my favorite from the VU's debut. Chelsea Girls is solid.

I've never been able to get into her songs that much, I think her accent annoys me... I do like I'll Be Your Mirror though.
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2007, 03:03 PM   #49
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
is anybody listening to the Unripened thing?
Old 05.16.2007, 04:02 PM   #50
sarramkrop

Sterling Morrison once explained how it took quite a number of takes to get Nico to sing they way she does on 'I'll Be Your Mirror'. They didn't want her to sing in a strong teutonic tone and in the end they bullied her so much, she started crying and, bang!, the final take was born. It wasn't unusual for them to take the piss out of her, and sometimes they would switch her microphone off just when she was about to sing. Theatre Of Cruelty indeed.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2007, 04:13 PM   #51
emobear
little trouble girl

emobear has a brilliant futureemobear has a brilliant futureemobear has a brilliant futureemobear has a brilliant futureemobear has a brilliant futureemobear has a brilliant futureemobear has a brilliant futureemobear has a brilliant futureemobear has a brilliant futureemobear has a brilliant futureemobear has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey
I've never been able to get into her songs that much, I think her accent annoys me... I do like I'll Be Your Mirror though.
...same here (quite like I'll Be Your Mirror, not much into Nico generally) . What is your favourite VU song all the time? I would vote probably for Black Angel's Death Song followed by Venus In Furs.
Old 05.16.2007, 04:38 PM   #52
musicfallinglikesnow
stalker

musicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's asses
SISTER RAY!!!!
White Light/White Heat is my favorite album of all time. I got hooked to the VU via the Uptight bio. I read first, got hooked, listened later, fell in love. The perfect sound.
Thank you sarramkrop, I'd rep you a million times but "have to spread around some reputation before..."

musicfallinglikesnow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2007, 04:43 PM   #53
musicfallinglikesnow
stalker

musicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's assesmusicfallinglikesnow kicks all y'all's asses
I failed the quiz in the first question. Read too fast! The Warlocks was the name the band adopted with Walter De Maria on percussion, but not when they first met and Tony Conrad was playing. That was The Primitives.

Old 05.16.2007, 04:45 PM   #54
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Check out this thread. It's widely available on many blogs.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10297

thanks man

I also got some of the other links you posted & it is ace stuff. i couldn't thank you enough.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2007, 05:18 PM   #55
sarramkrop

Just in case anyone missed it from the thread i had posted this on before:

The Velvet Underground - If It's Too Loud, Move Back! Live Valleydale Ballroom 1966

Enjoy.

http://www.badongo.com/file/2793159
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2007, 05:59 PM   #56
musicfallinglikesnow
stalker

Priceless...

Old 05.17.2007, 04:57 AM   #57
sarramkrop

Velvet Underground interview
http://www.terrascope.co.uk/MyBackPa...T16%201994.pdf

Loads of cool interviews on here:

http://www.terrascope.co.uk/MyBackPa...ages_index.htm
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 06:38 AM   #58
sarramkrop

Velvet Underground - Squeeze

Though the Velvet Underground was pretty much done by the time Lou Reed left in 1970, there's an interesting postscript that few people know about. Until 1973, the band carried on, now led by Doug Yule. In '71, Sterling Morrison left, and the band was augmented by Yule's friends from his days in the Grass Menagerie.

The Velvets toured Europe to some level of cult success and eventually an album contract was secured with the Polydor label. Perhaps for reasons of control, manager Steve Sesnick sent the rest of the band, including Mo Tucker, home and Yule recorded everything except for drums himself. (Drums were provided by Ian Pace of Deep Purple.)

So, what of Squeeze? Well, it's hard to accept as a true Velvet Underground album, even if it does share a lot of spirit and sound with Loaded. As a Doug Yule solo album, it shows a lot of promise. As the Velvet's epitaph...well, I'll leave that to you to decide.

Anyway, here's a cool site someone had the good sense to archive: http://bobchaos.com/squeeze/squeeze1.html Due to it's rarity and obscurity this album always has a bit of mystery about it. Hope you enjoy.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://tinyurl.com/2zd62f
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 08:53 AM   #59
sarramkrop

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 09:38 AM   #60
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
andy warhol and elektra records
invite you to the premiere of
the marble index,
a new album of original songs by nico,
to be played in conjunction with
filmed portraits of nico by andy Warhol.

at the factory.
33 union square west, new york,
on thursday, september 19, 1968, at 8:30 p.m.

playing of the album
will begin promptly at 8:40.
wine, supper, and dancing will follow.

rsvp: tinkerbelle (212) 582-7711

Nico - The Marble Index (Elektra, 1969)
01 Prelude (0:50)
02 Lawns of Dawns (3:12)
03 No One Is There (3:36)
04 Ari's Song (3:20)
05 Facing the Wind (4:52)
06 Julius Caesar (Memento Hodie) (4:57)
07 Frozen Warnings (4:00)
08 Evening of Light (5:33)
bonus
09 Roses in the Snow (4:06)
10 Nibelungen (2:44)

72 MB wma mp3s http://www.sendspace.com/file/51hdgk

Nico: vocals, harmonium
John Cale: electric viola, piano, bass, electric guitar, glockenspiel, bells, mouth organ, bosun's pipe

Recorded at Elektra Sound Recorders, 962 North La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles, 1968-09-00
Producer: Frazier Mohawk [Real name: Barry Friedman. aka: Barry Slotkin].
Production Supervisor: Jac Holzman
Engineer: John Haeny
Arrangements: John Cale
Words and music: Nico
Photography: Guy Webster
Design: Robert L. Heimall
Art Direction: William S. Harvey
Friends: David Anderle, Danny Fields

CD bonus tracks mixed by John Cale at Skyline Studios, 36 West 37th Street, New York City, NY
E: Roger Moutenot
Original CD mastering date: 1990-05-00
CD reissue supervised by Howard Thompson
Mastered by Barry Diament at Barry Diament Audio, 171 Rochelle St., 10464 City Island, New York, NY.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth