Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Evens
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.23.2007, 09:55 PM   #1
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them lastnight. Fucking great gig. They played at an old arts centre here which usually accomodates plays and the likes, never bands. It was great. Ian was joking around the whole time and banging on that baritone like a madman. What an experience.

Seen them live?

Ps - finding Nobody, thanks man.
Old 02.23.2007, 09:57 PM   #2
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Didn't get a chance to see them when they played in NYC but i love them! A lot of people criticize ian for their more mellow sound compared to fugazi but for fucks sake, ian proved himself and made quite a statement with that band. He's matured enough now to do the whole Evens thing and it sounds great to me.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
It's still very intense and isn't really that mellow, especially live.
Old 02.23.2007, 10:08 PM   #4
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Glad to hear you had a good time! You're very welcome dude!
All These Governors is easily my favorite song
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Lucky man. I love the evens. That's awesome that yo u got to xeeee ian mckayte live
Old 02.23.2007, 11:02 PM   #6
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Mellow in comparison to fugazi i guess is what i meant. But still...fucking evens, they're great.

Old 02.24.2007, 12:37 AM   #7
Norma J
invito al cielo

I even met Ian too. Fucken champ.

They are mellow compared to Fugazi, but alot of the riffs are very Fugazi-esque. You could imagine bass thrown in and abit of distortion on the guitar and it'd nearly be Fugazi. That's not to downgrade the Evens at all either. Both great bands.

Ian asked the small gathering what we wanted to hear and some dude said "more punk" or some shit, some "I wanna show I'm a minor Threat fan" bullshit, and Ian responded with: "You can't get much more punk than this". Fucking great response and very true.

There was also a few older folk, not too old, late 30s/early-40s, who had major complexes. Saying shit outta loud about how the scene "used to be happening" and when Ian said something about why are people being quiet, the same lady yelled out "Because they're all young" and Ian said something like "but you're in the audience too" haha. Befroe the gig too they were also being all upity about how everyone should all move out the road for them because we weren't even around for Minor threat or some shit, and I was like, this ain't a fucking Minor Threat gig, dipshits.

Anyway, it was a great night.
Old 02.24.2007, 01:40 AM   #8
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I like the baritone...I want one.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2007, 03:03 AM   #9
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, Ian is a cool/humble/awesome guy.....I don't understand why people think that he/Fugazi are so "uptight." He'll talk to anybody.
Old 02.24.2007, 03:20 AM   #10
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOUT
I like the baritone...I want one.

Step in line, Chout.
Old 02.24.2007, 03:30 AM   #11
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i wanted to the adelaide show but had to work :-( :-( :-(
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2007, 04:58 PM   #12
Norma J
invito al cielo

I'm really interested in the settings they played. Here they played at an old arts centre that's more of a hall. But I was reading that they've played in parking lots, churches, movie theatres, all these different places than the norm, as to get away from associating rock 'n' roll with pubs.

If anyone has seen them, or missed them whilst they were in your town but you know where they played, I'd like to hear about it.
Old 02.24.2007, 08:25 PM   #13
No Star
little trouble girl

No Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to behold
I fucking love the evens! so great Ian is a legend, i would like them to come over here. x x

"Whats comes first, the music or the words."
No Star is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2007, 09:06 PM   #14
matt g
bad moon rising

matt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's asses
i like the evens for being the evens. i like that it's not fugazi or minor threat. i (and losts of other folks i bet) would blow that guy off if he kept trying to replicate his past efforts. the evens are a great band, with great songs that my children actually enjoy listening to along with me. ye-haw, we got whole family singin' along!

take that punkers.
matt g is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2007, 12:11 AM   #15
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
I'm really interested in the settings they played. Here they played at an old arts centre that's more of a hall. But I was reading that they've played in parking lots, churches, movie theatres, all these different places than the norm, as to get away from associating rock 'n' roll with pubs.

If anyone has seen them, or missed them whilst they were in your town but you know where they played, I'd like to hear about it.

in adelaide they were playing at a new venue set up by some film makers it has only been open about three weeks and is called urtext
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2007, 12:39 AM   #16
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I'm envious. I really like the music I've heard, and seeing Ian up to something new is bound to be great. Hell, people bitched about Fugazi being too mellow compared to Minor Threat - some people are always two steps behind a real artist.

Anybody know the fate of Fugazi? Are they just on a hiatus or what? I finally watched Instrument just the other day, and it made me realize how much I've been missing them.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2007, 08:30 PM   #17
aaronalive
little trouble girl

aaronalive cold hard suckaaaronalive cold hard suckaaaronalive cold hard suckaaaronalive cold hard suckaaaronalive cold hard suckaaaronalive cold hard suckaaaronalive cold hard suckaaaronalive cold hard suckaaaronalive cold hard suckaaaronalive cold hard suckaaaronalive cold hard sucka
Great band. Ive yet to catch them live.
Old 02.25.2007, 08:58 PM   #18
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

Fugazi...they're not dead. They're still out there, having their flings in seclusion. But no one knows of this, no one.

I miss the bastards too.

Old 02.25.2007, 09:10 PM   #19
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

They played around here a year or two ago at a place called the Flying Monkey, which is found in the back of an 'abandoned' (or, at least, the windows or busted out and the building appears abandoned until you walk around to the back, which is the entrance) building and which contains a skateshop underneath the actual venue.
Only been to the place once, mainly because they advertise bands who claim to be 'acoustic punk with Kerouac poetry', so my assesment can only be of the actual building and the skate shop, but it's of no importance.
However, I missed the show because I didn't know about the show.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2007, 09:19 AM   #20
mikec
bad moon rising

mikec has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:

Living in the DC area, I've had the luxury of seeing the Evens 3 times now. They were all fantastic shows. Once was a free gig in the middle of this field called Fort Reno that's been hosting free concerts every week of every summer for years. It's literally this stage out in the middle of a huge field. Fugazi has played this a bunch of times. The other 2 were at church halls. Very intimate settings but still intense as someone said. I'm too young to have seen Minor Threat and got into Fugazi just after they went on hiatus but I could imagine what those shows were like because Ian, even though he was sitting down, was just attacking his guitar and yelling his head off.
mikec is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth