Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sol Invictus
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.10.2006, 01:02 PM   #1
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Sol Invictus (band)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
This article refers to the English musical group. For other meanings, see Sol Invictus.
Sol Invictus

CountryEnglandYears active1987–presentGenresFolk
Martial
Neofolk
Post-industrialLabelsTursaMembersTony WakefordSol Invictus is an English neofolk and neoclassical group fronted by Tony Wakeford. Beginning with electronic experimentation combined with folk-influenced guitar work, the sound of Sol Invictus has become considerably more neoclassical over the years and has had a large amount of influence on the development of neofolk music. Wakeford has been the sole constant member of the group with since its inception, although numerous musicians have contributed and collaborated with Wakeford under the Sol Invictus monicker over the years.
Contents

[hide]//
[edit]

Overview

Wakeford was an original member of Death In June with Douglas P.. Wakeford was asked to leave in 1984 due to his then invovelement in the British National Front. Wakeford then recorded one album of his own material as Above the Ruins, showcasing a post-punk and dark rock sound influenced by his previous work with Death In June. After taking a few years off, he returned to music and formed Sol Invictus in 1987, working with Ian Read and Karl Blake.
Wakeford has described Sol Invictus as a "cabaret band from Hell for the fin-de-siècle" and has referred to his work as folk noir. Beginning with a rough, bleak, primitive sound, the band's music gradually evolved toward a lush, refined style, picking up classically-trained players such as Eric Roger, Matt Howden, and Sally Doherty. In the mid-1990's, Sol Invictus spun off a side project called l'Orchestre Noir to explore an even more classically-influenced direction.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 01:02 PM   #2
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Etymology

The name Sol Invictus derives from a pre-Christian Rome-based cult whose Latin name means "the unconquered sun": see Sol Invictus for details. Wakeford chose the name because "The sun has always been an important symbol and as the cult of Sol Invictus nearly defeated Christianity at one point it seemed a good name to use. I also love the sound of Latin."
[edit]

Imagery

The band's imagery and lyrical content, especially in its early days, was strongly influenced by radical traditionalism and antipathy towards the modern world and materialism. A particular influence was the Italian philosopher Julius Evola—indeed, the title of the band's first LP, Against the Modern World, is an allusion to Evola's work Revolt Against the Modern World—and the song "Amongst the Ruins" takes its name from Evola's Men Among the Ruins.
The band also has considerable interest in heathen and Mithraist themes, often reflecting an explicit antipathy to Christianity: the 1997 album The Blade incorporates an Odinic chant, Gealdor, into its varied laments. Wakeford tends to write from a melancholic position of doomed Romanticism, which laments the loss of beauty, love, and culture. He sees the American influence on global culture as very damaging to Europe, something he expresses with black humour in the song "Death of the West", from the album of the same name.
Sol Invictus album artwork has often showcased the expressionist paintings of American artist Tor Lundvall.
[edit]

Discography

YearTitleFormat, Special Notes1987Against the Modern WorldMini-EP1989In the Jaws of the SerpentLive LP1989Lex TalionisPart of box set with Current 93 and Nurse With Wound1989Fields12" with Current 93 and Nurse With Wound1990Sol Veritas LuxCD1990Abattoirs of Love7"1990Lex TalionisCD1990Trees in WinterCD/LP1991The Killing TideCD/LP1992Death In June/Current 93/Sol InvictusLive CD with Death In June and Current 931992Looking for Europe7"1992The Lamp of the Invisible Light7" compilation track1992Somewhere in Europe/See the Dove Fall7"1992Let Us PreyLive CD1992King & QueenCD1994The Death of the WestCD1995In the RainCD1997The BladeCD1998In EuropaCD1998All Things Strange and RareCompilation CD1999In a Garden GreenCD2000TriesteCD2000The Hill of CrossesCD2000Eve7"2001BruggeLive concert, 1996-02-032002ThronesCD2003The Giddy Whirls of CenturiesCompilation CD2004The AngelCompilation CD2005The Devil's SteedCD[edit]

External links
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus_%28band%29"

Old 08.10.2006, 01:04 PM   #3
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Maaan,this band reminds of being 17.

Old 08.10.2006, 01:05 PM   #4
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I love this music.

"The Blade" is a total masterpiece.
I have even gone so far as to cover some of this material in solo sets.
Wakeford has a strange voice, but I like it.
Beautiful music of great power.
The LP he did with Steve Stapleton, "The Revenge of the Selfish Shellfish," is most enjoyable as well.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 01:09 PM   #5
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
I have to say, I never liked Sol Invictus much, but I've never heard Wakeford's album with Stapleton - is it closer to SI or NWW, or not like either?
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 01:10 PM   #6
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I was just timing how long it would take you to post on this thread,Sausage Drone.My love for this band was born out of the relentless tape making that my friend back home would commit weekly in order to open my ears to a more unusual idea of underground music.March was Christian Death,April would be Current 93 and so forth.Those tapes were heavily crammed with the music of this band and you simply don't go back after that.

Old 08.10.2006, 01:13 PM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyohan
I have to say, I never liked Sol Invictus much, but I've never heard Wakeford's album with Stapleton - is it closer to SI or NWW, or not like either?

Much closer to NWW's more playful side.

I think the album Wakeford released under his own name, "La Croix," is also incredibly beautiful. I can see that some people might not like this stuff, but once you get used to his voice I think there's a lot of enjoyment to be had.
Old 08.10.2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks, I'll try to check that out.
Old 08.10.2006, 01:18 PM   #9
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Probably a stupid question, but are you guys into Coil too?
Old 08.10.2006, 01:18 PM   #10
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Of course.

Old 08.10.2006, 01:19 PM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Yeahp.
Old 08.10.2006, 01:23 PM   #12
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Favourite albums?
I always find it hard to choose between Horse Rotorvator and MTPITD Vol2.
Ever see them live? I managed to catch them twice, including the last gig before Balance died. Both were amazing experiences. Each very different and special in their own way.
I found Ape of Naples pretty disappointing, but maybe I was expecting too much.
Old 08.10.2006, 01:30 PM   #13
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

You are most fortunate.
I live in the midwestern US, and to my knowledge they never played here. I have been a fan since 1985.
I love How To Destroy Angels, Hellraiser Themes, Black Light District and Horse Rotorvator. A lot of their later stuff didn't do it for me as much, but they kept releasing enough interesting material to keep me interested until the end.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth