Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page flip your face vs. kill yr. idols
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.16.2006, 03:43 PM   #1
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i was listening to the no new york record today & i became aware of how much "flip your face" by james chance & the contortions reminds me of "kill yr. idols". so i went i played one & then the other & then one & the other, etc., and i am convinced. somebody i think came up with the formula [no wave]+[glenn branca] = [sonic youth] and sure, but have you heard both of these tunes together, & can you spot the genealogy, the evolution, almost (to me) as 2 versions of 1 song (perhaps an impressionistic perspective, sure)? discuss.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 03:50 PM   #2
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Could you upload the No New York record please? I have been wanting to hear that record for ages....
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 04:01 PM   #3
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
Yes please, that would be a gd listen.
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 04:16 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh man. i have it on vinyl. sorry. it's out there somewhere. mine is a "russian" -- bootleg? or what the store claimed was a "fake bootleg" or something. not sure. has russian letters in the sleeve. nice thick vinyl. i got it for $16 in the east village. (i saw an original one sell for $100 @ the downtown music gallery, right before my jealous eyes). someone else i'm sure will oblige.
Old 05.17.2006, 11:54 AM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

great.

everyone wants to talk about the gilmore girls but when it comes to a real conversation about really listening to the music all the "fans" vanish (oh yes. im taunting. ha).

i'm going back to the usually amusing sewer that is the non-sonics board. at least we know we stand for the lower standards & have no shame about it.
Old 05.17.2006, 12:55 PM   #6
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
no shame in tha game brotha

(except shrinkage... dreaded shrinkage)
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 06:43 PM   #7
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
kill yr idols
Old 05.18.2006, 06:45 PM   #8
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I don't know, but Buy + SY EP = Tons of Fun

Edit: After going back and listening to them, I can see the resemblance. It has something to do with the basslines - both are simple repeating patterns. SY's a little more simple. And both songs have similar guitar sounds. I'm not a guitarist, but it sounds like they're bending notes to create sort of really loose glissando sounds, maybe with a tremolo arm? Also, both songs have screaming declamations as vocals.

It's hard to pick which song I like better. SY has better drumming, better screaming/lyrics and more interplay between guitarists (of course). JC and the C's have the advantage of keyboards and saxophone and an actual guitar solo that's pretty cool. But, I'm going to go with Kill Yr Idols because it works better as an actual piece of music--it goes somewhere and comes back. There are dynamics and tempo changes and a much more kick-ass middle part. The end.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 06:48 PM   #9
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
now that you mention it, there is a definite similarity in structure... interesting trivia: flip yr face is one of steve albini's favourite songs... it is quite delightful... then again, there isn't much to fault on No New York... I was so delighted when it got reissued as I had heard about it so often and it seemed so unattainable... overall, I dig side 2 better... DNA in particular is really bodacious....
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 07:41 PM   #10
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
yes sir, DNA is cool.
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2006, 02:37 PM   #11
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
Could you upload the No New York record please? I have been wanting to hear that record for ages....

i'm uploading the compilation now. i'll post it over in the "sharing" section as soon as it's done.

actually, no i won't. that's a copyright no-no. PM me if you want the compilation.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2006, 02:55 PM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha ha, this was not a contest. thanks to the people who answered meaningfully! nice to "discover" little details like this listening to music.

oh dna is something else. reading the liner notes of.. i dont know what... i found about arto lindsay's relation with os mutantes.. that explains a lot!

tropicalia > no wave? !!!
Old 05.19.2006, 02:57 PM   #13
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
tropicalia + no wave = :-)

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 05.19.2006, 03:18 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

hah. i didnt mean it as "greater than" but as an arrow of-- genealogy?
should have said tropicalia --> no wave
but tropicalia + no wave? hell yes!!
Old 05.19.2006, 10:38 PM   #15
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe off topic, but there are some sweet tropicalia reissues!!

I've never been very fond of James Chance. I prefer DNA, Ut, or Mars.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2006, 11:12 PM   #16
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

are you talking about the tropicalia reissues that they advertise on the back cover of the wire, along with new york no wave and all that other stuff, every month?

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 05.19.2006, 11:23 PM   #17
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Soul Jazz has some great compliations of tropicalia stuff. Soul Jazz has a bunch of awesome stuff, as a matter of fact. But whole albums from artists have been reissued as of late. Its an awesome time for global sounds, new and old.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2015, 12:11 PM   #18
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
now that you mention it, there is a definite similarity in structure... interesting trivia: flip yr face is one of steve albini's favourite songs... it is quite delightful... then again, there isn't much to fault on No New York... I was so delighted when it got reissued as I had heard about it so often and it seemed so unattainable... overall, I dig side 2 better... DNA in particular is really bodacious....
Man, I have absolutely no memory of posting this.
Old 03.09.2015, 06:53 PM   #19
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i was listening to the no new york record today & i became aware of how much "flip your face" by james chance & the contortions reminds me of "kill yr. idols". so i went i played one & then the other & then one & the other, etc., and i am convinced. somebody i think came up with the formula [no wave]+[glenn branca] = [sonic youth] and sure, but have you heard both of these tunes together, & can you spot the genealogy, the evolution, almost (to me) as 2 versions of 1 song (perhaps an impressionistic perspective, sure)? discuss.

yeah that's all your freaky impressionistic perspective head...but mine freaky impressionistic perspective head says "flip your face" doesn't remind me "kill yr. idols" at all...the main spirit of no wave it's there, but in the sonic tune you can ear also the big influence of branca and more rock oriented, than in james chance with more disco spirit.
also in kill yr. idols it's more like a minimal punk symphony of branca.
in fact the no wave band more closer to sonic youth, to me it's mars, cause of his rock influence.
confusion is next is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth