Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Super Groups that Dont Suck...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.12.2008, 04:09 PM   #22
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i disagree with rob.
look at electric masada
ikue morie
john zorn
marc ribot
e
t
c
they are all famous on their own account.
same thing with fantomas

and usually a supergroup omplies a sort of side project kind of thing

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 04:09 PM   #23
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 04:12 PM   #24
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, to me it just has to be a group of musicians who are successful on their own accord, aka solo or other bands. i dont think you have to be superstar famous to be a supergroup.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 04:21 PM   #26
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i agree with rob, otherwise every band made up of musicians who've already done other stuff is a supergroup. and i don't know why you all seem keen to label everything a super group.... maybe just to show you can.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 04:37 PM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
if you are just dudes in other bands that formed a new band, that is just a BAND, not a supergroup.

a suprgroup is so titled because, due to the supposed worth of the individual famous artists involved, everyone expects something transcendent from the supergroup, something even greater than the sum of their parts.

kurt cobain's clothes are more "famous" than King Buzzo. hell, courtney love is more famous than everyone in fatomas put together.

Fame is NOT relative. the more people know you the more famous you are. it is as simple as that, and easily quantifiable.

there ahve been a lot of supergroups that amounted to flat out shit.

one that did not, and I am not a fan of eitrher the or their previous bands, is crosby stills and Nash (and later young, whom I do admire and listen to).
crosby was in The Byrds
Stephen Stills was in Traffic
Grahma Nash was in The Hollies
(neil Young was also in Buffalo Springfield)

The backbeat band is as close to an indie/alternative supergroup as there ever has been, with key members from REM, Sonic Youth, Afghan Whigs, Soul Asylum.

if the criteria were otherwise then any band is a supergroup, since most musicians have been in countless previous bands before they hit it big.
Old 05.12.2008, 04:38 PM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
yeah, to me it just has to be a group of musicians who are successful on their own accord, aka solo or other bands. i dont think you have to be superstar famous to be a supergroup.

that's just a group with some name-brand to them.

the goddamn foo fighters count as a supergroup under that BS criteria
Old 05.12.2008, 04:44 PM   #29
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
ok, well maybe successful is the wrong word. highly respected? i mean, theres a pretty substantian difference in that accord between john zorn and yamatsuka eye and taylor hawkins and dave grohl.

i really didnt mean for this to be such a controversial thread, or think people were gonna argue about their different conceptions of a supergroup.

listen to pink reason
Old 05.12.2008, 04:49 PM   #30
super_charger
bad moon rising

super_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
to be a super group, the members have to come from super bands, not bands that you like, or bands that are innovative, but previously succesful and known acts.

a true supergruop is wone where all the members are FAMOUS,

the traveling wilbury's, for all their suck, were a supergroup.

Fatomas, is just a bunch of dudes who played in previous bands (mike patton the only "famous" one). by that definition sonic youth is a supergroup, with members of the crucifucks, Branca's guitar orchestra, The Coachmen, The Arcadians, and CKM

velvet revolver, for all their suck, are a supergroup

everyone else mentioned on here is just bands, dude. just bands.

:P

I don't think they have to be FAMOUS. But they do have to be thought of as ranking among the best in their genre...that's why Fantomas IS a super-group. Even though Dave Lombardo isn't Kurt Cobain famous that doesn't mean he isn't one of if not the best drummer in his genre.
super_charger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 04:52 PM   #31
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I wil conceded fantomas as an "indie supergroup" but there is nothing "super " about selling less than 200 thousand albums man!
Old 05.12.2008, 04:52 PM   #32
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
maybe fame isnt relative, but cant we agree that the definition of a supergroup is?

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 04:55 PM   #33
batreleaser
invito al cielo

i duno, i guess i dont care, to me, having someone like jim o rourke and kk null in a band together is a supergroup, i guess i just didnt take the word "super" to seriously.

listen to pink reason
Old 05.12.2008, 04:56 PM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Is BRUJERIA a supergroup?

Are the Foo Fighters a supergroup?

Is audioslave a supergroup?

Is Green River a proto-supergroup, haviong had members of mudhoney soundgarden and pearl jame BEFORE they were famous?

just questions
Old 05.12.2008, 04:57 PM   #35
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ohh man, the music i like doesn't count because millions of people don't like it!!!!

OHH MY GAWD WHAT AM I GONNA DU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 05:05 PM   #36
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
ohh man, the music i like doesn't count because millions of people don't like it!!!!

OHH MY GAWD WHAT AM I GONNA DU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats wat i was thinking

listen to pink reason
Old 05.12.2008, 05:06 PM   #37
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Is BRUJERIA a supergroup?

Are the Foo Fighters a supergroup?

Is audioslave a supergroup?

Is Green River a proto-supergroup, haviong had members of mudhoney soundgarden and pearl jame BEFORE they were famous?

just questions

ok well none of those bands have anything to do with the ones i mentioned, so i dont really get what ur trying to say.

listen to pink reason
Old 05.12.2008, 05:14 PM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i really didnt mean for this to be such a controversial thread, or think people were gonna argue about their different conceptions of a supergroup.

One think you might like to note about this board: every fucker will try and disagree with you. It's nothing personal, there's just a lot of people with social-life deficit disorder.

Ahem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 05:18 PM   #39
batreleaser
invito al cielo

well, i mean, yeah, i take nothing personal, no one actually knows me here, haha, but youre right, more so than otehr message boards, everyone has something to contradict everything.

listen to pink reason
Old 05.12.2008, 05:29 PM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
well, i mean, yeah, i take nothing personal, no one actually knows me here, haha, but youre right, more so than otehr message boards, everyone has something to contradict everything.

Not everyone has something to contradict everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth