Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page the original star trek
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.05.2010, 05:15 PM   #41
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I still love Wrath of Khan so much.

<---NERD
Old 04.05.2010, 05:39 PM   #42
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
kahn!
Old 04.06.2010, 06:42 AM   #43
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone seen that other classic UK horror movie featuring the classic scene of a demon, who was depicted as being as large as King Kong, being struck by a train? It was called Night of the Demon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSTA97Msls8
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2010, 08:23 AM   #44
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I love Night of the Demon. The scene you mention at the end, when the monster is revealed is about it's only bad point. Up until then it'd done a great job of suggesting 'something', and so when the Kong-like demon finally arrives it reduces everything down to the level of your average B monster movie. Besides that though, it is great.

Back on the British sf/horror tip, Lifeforce is a real guilty pleasure of mine. Everyone seems to hate it but I can't seem to get enough of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G32tVg4Ld6g
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2015, 09:52 AM   #45
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
nerd.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2015, 11:05 AM   #46
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
OG Trek was a product of it's time. It had no budget, and therefore spent its energy on story and plot. I loved it as a kid (in reruns), and Spock is the ultimate ideal for a human being who seeks to detach themselves from animalistic emotions. To this day he is analytical people's hero.

The Twilight Zone was an amazing anthology. I loved that show too.

Trek TNG was awesome (after that sad first season) because it did not deal with the same plots as the original, where the humans were always fish out of water. TNG dealt with the intellectual rigors of exploration, and the diplomacy needed to maintain peace in a universe populated by varying races with varying ideals.

my personal fave is Deep Space Nine. I have loved it ever since it came out, and I re-watched the whole thing with my wife when it appeared on the Netflix. Of all the Trek, DS9 is the one that most explored the parts of interstellar exploration that are seen as "negative," the loneliness, isolation, fear, jingoism, racisms, death, war, intergalactic war nonetheless, PTSD, etc. Whereas OG Trek was about enlightened humans coming together to explore the Universe, and TNG was about the power of humanity to stick by what is ethical and good and proper and RIGHT, Deep Space Nine is about the losses and burdens that each being must suffer because of their decisions.

Every character, even the dozens of minor ones, had character arcs and suffered great losses, and had to deal with them and continue living and working. It was amazing.
Old 12.15.2015, 11:06 AM   #47
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Plus, The Sisko.
Old 12.16.2015, 03:08 AM   #48
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
OST is fucking great. Even the really bad episodes (um...Spock's Brain, anyone?) are entertaining. Shatner was one hell of an actor (fuck, that rhymes). Recently I paid $60ish for the whole series on DVD....CBS "remastered". That's less than a dollar per episode, and I'm not one of the 5 billion people in this world who are convinced that DVD is far far inferior to Blu. It was a great buy and I don't mind the "tweaking" that was employed. My 7yr old absolutely loved The Trouble With Tribbles. I'm old....53....so I have a soft spot for OST. And FUCK the music is great.
Old 12.16.2015, 08:28 AM   #49
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
meh...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth