Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.22.2021, 08:33 AM   #24881
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Blade Runner *drool*

(Except for that sexual-assaulty scene. Yikes. I’d forgotten than until the most recent viewing. Roy is the one I root for now. Deckard is a dick.)

She was a bloody robot #robotlivesmatter

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2021, 08:48 AM   #24882
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
lmao yes it's super rapey in 2021 whereas in nineteen clackety clack it was seen as doing the manly thing when the lady doesn't know what she wants. the lines were different back then, it was no means no and she never actually said it, so if it doesn't fit you must acquit or something.

fast forward to today the role of the male is to dance and encourage the female to assault you, and then take it like a man, because at some point someone inevitably has to cross a line. "rape me, my friend"

but yeah also it can be explained as she's new to her own emotions and doesn't realize she wants him and he's teaching her, or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2021, 08:47 AM   #24883
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lmao yes it's super rapey in 2021 whereas in nineteen clackety clack it was seen as doing the manly thing when the lady doesn't know what she wants. the lines were different back then, it was no means no and she never actually said it, so if it doesn't fit you must acquit or something.

fast forward to today the role of the male is to dance and encourage the female to assault you, and then take it like a man, because at some point someone inevitably has to cross a line. "rape me, my friend"

but yeah also it can be explained as she's new to her own emotions and doesn't realize she wants him and he's teaching her, or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh... mmmmm ehhh...

He also kills Roy after Roy bloody saves him. And what’s Roy trying to do, ultimately? Find a way for himself and his people to live more than 4 years or whatever, form memories of his own, be granted some form of personhood after years of slave labor

Deckard more like Dickard, long live Roy Batty
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2021, 09:23 AM   #24884
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
He also kills Roy after Roy bloody saves him.

wat. did we watch same movie?
Old 03.23.2021, 10:02 AM   #24885
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Blade Runner *drool*

(Except for that sexual-assaulty scene. Yikes. I’d forgotten than until the most recent viewing. Roy is the one I root for now. Deckard is a dick.)

Yeah, that one scene is a massive blight on one of my absolute favorite Sci-Fi movies. And according to Sean Young, it might have been a dick move on Scott's part to get back at her for not reciprocating his advances. Yikes.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2021, 11:31 AM   #24886
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

that was a fun read. her shitlist is long hahah.

anyway i wouldn't go as far as taking sean young's speculations as gospel, although what she says about the entertainment industry is absolutely correct. the "salt of the earth" people are among the crew. everybody else.... well...

and yeah the scene is weird, more so today than in 1982. this is why it's a perfect cultural artifact to observe the changes in sexual politics in the last half century. i think in "the postman always rings twice" (1981) there was also a violent initial fuck, although i can't recall the scene exactly.

also, remember in blade runner, at the end of the carnage, gaff saying "you've done a man's work..."

in any case, ***deckard doesn't kill batty. batty's clock just runs out***
Old 03.23.2021, 12:03 PM   #24887
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
anyway i wouldn't go as far as taking sean young's speculations as gospel, although what she says about the entertainment industry is absolutely correct. the "salt of the earth" people are among the crew. everybody else.... well...

Grain of salt of course applies to any claim. But it doesn't sound unlikely given the overall atmosphere in the industry, especially some forty years ago. She wouldn't be the first actress deemed "difficult to work with" after not playing by the fucked up rules some egomaniacs established. Of course, she's had her own set of problems, but given the shit that happens in the industry, I can see why.

Anyway. Yeah, I too see it as a document of the time it was made in. Doesn't make it any less cringey or fucked up though.

Quote:

Yeah, that much is certain. The preceding scene in J.F. Sebastian's apartment made it clear that Batty was already experiencing accelerated signs of deterioration. He knew it was time to die, which might have factored into him saving Deckard - wanting to have a witness to his final thoughts and recollections.

Old 03.23.2021, 12:47 PM   #24888
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon

Anyway. Yeah, I too see it as a document of the time it was made in. Doesn't make it any less cringey or fucked up though.

yah, slavery was fucked up but "normal" back in the day. more recent than that, ever seen "gone with the wind"? sheesh...

anyway i remember watching br as a kid and going "whoa...." but it was more like "i guess that's how the grownups do it" lololol.

but anyway... we turned the scene into a talk-back moment and made fun of it this time around. plus, applied anthropology. definitely was not part of the normal flow of the movie but required commentary.

Quote:

Yeah, that much is certain. The preceding scene in J.F. Sebastian's apartment made it clear that Batty was already experiencing accelerated signs of deterioration. He knew it was time to die, which might have factored into him saving Deckard - wanting to have a witness to his final thoughts and recollections.

plus deckard drops his gun way before reaching the roof so can't shoot.

i like to think of batty recognizing a fellow replicant rather than looking for someone to witness him. and also achieving his "humanity" since he was bred to be a psychopathic killing machine (ofc funny thing the humans are worse. ) maybe deckard is rapey in the persuasion department because he's a replicant too (also he's the best blade runner as stated by bryant).

also the "quite an experience to live in fear" line (delivered twice i think in the movie?) i like to see also as deckard's waker upper.
Old 03.23.2021, 01:25 PM   #24889
Antagon
invito al cielo

Quote:
yah, slavery was fucked up but "normal" back in the day. more recent than that, ever seen "gone with the wind"? sheesh...

Oh, the list is long. I remember picking out silent-era to roughly the end of the monochrome era movies as visuals for my events. I did scrap quite a few, because the racism/sexism/etc. was just too over the top. So much jarring content from a contemporary perspective - and often integrated in the most casual of ways, it was just so ingrained in popular media. One could make an interesting study on how certain depictions have changed over the years (I'm sure a lot of people have).

Never watched Gone With The Wind, though. For some reason, the prospect of watching it always seemed like a chore from the get-go. Maybe one day, but it'll be a massively uncomfortable watch.

Quote:
i like to think of batty recognizing a fellow replicant rather than looking for someone to witness him. and also achieving his "humanity" since he was bred to be a psychopathic killing machine (ofc funny thing the humans are worse. )

I mean, both could apply at the same time. It is definitely a moment that proves him having achieved humanity. But I also believe he wants his humanity to be seen and heard. Having lived in servitude for a long time and breaking out of it, only to be met by a society indifferent to their plight and failing to grasp their (replicants) humanity - I think he desired to be seen the way he had come to know himself in the end.

He may well have recognized Deckard as a replicant. But I think whether Deckard was a replicant or not didn't matter so much in the way he perceived Batty and his crew. If Deckard was indeed a replicant, he clearly wasn't always aware of that and believed himself to be human (implanted memories are hinted at). Hence, he was there as a human witness to all the emotional musings of Batty - at least in the figurative sense. It could be a waker upper in many different ways. I think there are a lot of layers to this scene and that's why I love it so much.

Old 03.23.2021, 03:47 PM   #24890
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
wat. did we watch same movie?

I’m not sure, but check back. Roy pulls Deckard up and saves him from plummeting to his death. Killer monologue ensues. Then Deckard kills his ass.

The replicants want to love longer because the want memories of their own.
They’ve been mining on other planets or whatever for their entire lifespans.

If this wasn’t in the movie you watched, idk what to tell ya
Old 03.23.2021, 04:03 PM   #24891
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
. Then Deckard kills his ass.
hm no man. batty's clock just runs out. that was the whole thing of it. his biological clock shuts down. thats why he spiked his hand to keep it open. that was death kicking in.

(idk if this is the actual hand but that was an involuntary movement thing, yeah. first begins when he goes see tyrell in the shuttle).
Old 03.23.2021, 04:34 PM   #24892
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Oh yeah lol ... what was I thinking?

Anyway, he was totally trying to kill him. But yeah, you’re right.

EDIT: I think I was incepted into thinking Deckard killed him because of some editorial I read about the rapey scene... I want to say it was in variety? But anyway, it asserts that Deckard is the villain and Roy is the hero, and I’d forgotten about it completely until just now
Should have known better though. I’ve seen the movie — in one version or another — like 20 times.
Old 03.23.2021, 04:38 PM   #24893
Severian
invito al cielo

I have an excuse to rewatch Blade Runner now, so that’s cool
Old 03.23.2021, 04:39 PM   #24894
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah it was his job to kill rach(a)el too but he wakes up to his own programming and they flee

the final cut is on hulu, it's really the best cut, everything in it makes sense
Old 03.23.2021, 08:41 PM   #24895
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah it was his job to kill rach(a)el too but he wakes up to his own programming and they flee

the final cut is on hulu, it's really the best cut, everything in it makes sense

I honestly couldn’t tell you the difference between director’s and final. But as long as final has the unicorn (and no bloody theatrical-cut voiceover nonsense), that’s my jam.
Old 03.23.2021, 10:46 PM   #24896
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

idk what to tell you about this vs the "directors" but in previous versions there were plot gaps that made things confusing for me.

zora's scene here seems longer? (but i can't tell longer than which one). but it all meshes perfectly: there is exposition, there is foreshadowing, there is repetition, there is clarity. everything is just right in the narrative.

and yeah deckard gets picked up from the street, he just "appears" there, which is the whole point that we don't really "know" where he comes from.
Old 03.24.2021, 02:24 PM   #24897
Antagon
invito al cielo

What did you think about Blade Runner: 2049 btw.?

I have to admit, upon rewatch I started to actively hate it. It felt like a weirdly structured fanfic to me. The Ryan Gosling part of the plot I actually like to a certain degree, everything else I didn't care for much.

Plus: Massive downgrade in the visual department, as well as the soundtrack. Getting kind of sick of Hans Zimmer's renown, the guy hasn't composed anything original in ages. If he even does his composing himself (Around the 44 minute mark to around minute 48, then at 49:45 - wonderful piece of John Carpenter candor)

Old 03.24.2021, 02:31 PM   #24898
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
What did you think about Blade Runner: 2049 btw.?

I have to admit, upon rewatch I started to actively hate it. It felt like weirdly structured fanfic to me. The Ryan Gosling part of the plot I actually like to a certain degree, everything else I didn't care for much.

It was fucking awesome.

I don’t think I’ve ever had that much anticipation for a film in my life. It was like Star Wars for me. And I love Denis Villeneuve as a director. I think a case could be made that it’s one of the best sequels ever.

I’ve only watched it twice. Maybe I’ll cool on it eventually, but I was there day 1 in cinemas and pretty much just lost my shit for 3 hours.
Old 03.24.2021, 02:47 PM   #24899
Antagon
invito al cielo

Quote:
It was fucking awesome.

I don’t think I’ve ever had that much anticipation for a film in my life. It was like Star Wars for me. And I love Denis Villeneuve as a director. I think a case could be made that it’s one of the best sequels ever.

I’ve only watched it twice. Maybe I’ll cool on it eventually, but I was there day 1 in cinemas and pretty much just lost my shit for 3 hours.

You're in good company. A lot of people loved it. For some reason, it didn't quite gel with me. Had high hopes after I had watched Villeneuve's previous movie "Arrival" - which I consider to be a Sci-Fi masterpiece. But somehow, between the disjointed plotlines, major characters that appeared very late and then somehow completely took over the focus of the narrative, sterile futurist architecture under grey skies and Elvis holograms, I found myself baffled. The philosophical humanist approach was certainly still there, but I just didn't quite feel it as strongly as I did in the previous movie (aforementioned terrible scene notwithstanding).

Old 03.24.2021, 03:18 PM   #24900
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i've got a radical feminist friend who detested 2049 on ideological grounds. i spaced out the discussion at the time so i probably couldn't repeat her arguments today, but an online search should throw results.
745114511951235124212431244 1245 1246124712481255 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth