Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kill Your Idols online
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.19.2008, 05:14 AM   #21
al shabbray

but the original teaser to it were different. it featerued almost all artists who appear in the film, and a lot of karen o....
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 07:44 AM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Just get netflix. It's on instant watch on there... er, Actually, don't bother. It REALLY sucks. As soon as they switch to the new bands, it sucks. Needed more footage of DNA and Mars and stuff and less footage of LIARS and Yeah Yeah Yeahs and such.. those bands aren't even no wave... how can they not even MENTION Scissor Girls? Also, there wasn't a lot of history at all, just someone going "they wanted to express themselves with music, so they played some stuff." for about 20 minutes and then BOOM there's Karen O screeching. Just really poor. Amongst the worst documentaries I've ever seen actually.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 02:26 PM   #23
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
it's not a teaser, it's the first chapter, but when you watch in on pitchfork's normal site, it won't proceed to further chapters...
just go here: http://pitchfork.tv/ and click on one week only. then it should go to the next chapter after the first has ended. if it's not the case, you can navigate in the section at the bottom right...
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 03:57 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
HEH

Old 10.19.2008, 07:56 PM   #25
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvdWee
it's not a teaser, it's the first chapter, but when you watch in on pitchfork's normal site, it won't proceed to further chapters...
just go here: http://pitchfork.tv/ and click on one week only. then it should go to the next chapter after the first has ended. if it's not the case, you can navigate in the section at the bottom right...

cheers!

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 08:26 PM   #26
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Just get netflix. It's on instant watch on there... er, Actually, don't bother. It REALLY sucks. As soon as they switch to the new bands, it sucks. Needed more footage of DNA and Mars and stuff and less footage of LIARS and Yeah Yeah Yeahs and such.. those bands aren't even no wave... how can they not even MENTION Scissor Girls? Also, there wasn't a lot of history at all, just someone going "they wanted to express themselves with music, so they played some stuff." for about 20 minutes and then BOOM there's Karen O screeching. Just really poor. Amongst the worst documentaries I've ever seen actually.

To be honest, it was redeemed for me by having the original No Wavers, Lydia Lunch, Glenn Branca and Lee bitching about the current 'scene' (or absence of) in New York. The documentary confirmed for me just how much I like Branca and Lunch as people, I reckon they'd be awesome to meet in person.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 09:20 AM   #27
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
i like the documentary, and i am not like a big fan of the liars and the yeah, yeah, yeah's but i think those bands interviews were edited to look like they are fucking idiots, maybe they are. i dunno. but i think it was edited heavily to show how the young people are career driven and all that shit. but if you waved all that money in front of any of those no wave bands i guarentee they would have taken it.

but yeah the o.g. bands were MUCH more original and interesting, but I just doubt that artistic integrity bullshit. like they gave a shit about anything.
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 10:29 AM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
is it just me or do the Yeah yeah yeahs come off as m,ore like late 70's early 80's siouxsie and the banshees than anything No Wave?
Old 10.22.2008, 10:29 AM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
i like the documentary, and i am not like a big fan of the liars and the yeah, yeah, yeah's but i think those bands interviews were edited to look like they are fucking idiots, maybe they are. i dunno. but i think it was edited heavily to show how the young people are career driven and all that shit. but if you waved all that money in front of any of those no wave bands i guarentee they would have taken it.

but yeah the o.g. bands were MUCH more original and interesting, but I just doubt that artistic integrity bullshit. like they gave a shit about anything.

the original bands in No Wave were out to destroy music, not to make money selling rehashed shit to people.
Old 10.22.2008, 10:33 AM   #30
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Agreed.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 10:49 AM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah Yeah Yeahs just come off as bullshit.

I don't think no wave bands were "out to destroy music". That's more of a noise/industrial thing, stuff like Throbbing Gristle. No wave was just ugly music made by ugly people who didn't know how to play music or wanted to make music that was extremely primitive and direct. No wave, to me, was the logical extension of punk and just like punk it burnt itself out really quickly. Which is probably for the best.

I'd like to acquire some no wave films made around that time.

Old 10.22.2008, 11:05 AM   #32
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I was just quoting the no wave artists directly. they have all said at various times that they were out to destroy music.

Industrial was DANCE MUSIC man. whatever it has become now it started as DANCE music, and not out to destroy music.
Old 10.22.2008, 11:18 AM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah man Throbbing Gristle and Einsturzende Neubauten. Gonna do the fucking macarena to that shit!

You are right, there is a genre called "industrial dance". Obviously, I'm not talking about that. And industrial started out as..

The first industrial artists experimented with varying degrees of noise, production techniques and what, at the time, were considered controversial topics. Their production was not only limited to musical output. It also included mail art, performance art, installation pieces and other art forms.

SINCE THEN, perhaps, some of the more mainstream acts have become dancier and stuff. But it definitely didn't start out that way. Perhaps your knowledge of industrial music is limited to Ministry started out as a synthpop band and becoming an industrial metal band later.

Old 10.22.2008, 11:30 AM   #34
al shabbray

hahaha ministry? do they still exist?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 11:33 AM   #35
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Wasn't a lot of the earliest industrial music really like Muisique Concrete?
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 11:34 AM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

They released their last album a while back but I think they're still touring until Bush leaves office or something. They have to be one of the most consistent bands of all time.. after a certain point, all their albums are great. I'm probably alone in this, but FILTH PIG is my favorite. Such a dirty, nasty record. Goddamn. I love that thing.

Old 10.22.2008, 11:36 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Wasn't a lot of the earliest industrial music really like Muisique Concrete?

Either way, Rob won't admit that he was wrong. So, there's really nothing else to say.

Old 10.22.2008, 11:36 AM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Musique conrete was an influence on industrial music, but yr right, industrial is a very vague term and covers all sorts of musical groups from the early 70's on.
Old 10.22.2008, 11:37 AM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

nitzer ebb, skinny puppy, early minstry, revolting cocks, stuff like that was industrial dance. I stand corretced
Old 10.22.2008, 11:39 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Word.

I stand corrected as well then!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth