Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page All greek to me
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.19.2006, 03:52 AM   #1
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
This track i casually found on a cd that i bought god knows when.It goes back to when world music was all i bought(thanks to David Tibet)and it's ace like aceness can be.Well done Mr Yorgos Mangas:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3E40A1DE42AD695B

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 05:11 AM   #2
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not a great fan of the clartinet as an instrument but this guy sure brings the good out from it.I wouldnt particularly call the track improv either.

Old 07.19.2006, 05:39 AM   #3
porkmarras
invito al cielo

No problem,my pleasure.I hope you'll enjoy it.

Old 07.19.2006, 04:08 PM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
I'm not a great fan of the clartinet as an instrument but this guy sure brings the good out from it.I wouldnt particularly call the track improv either.

I. Have. A friend in you, oh Mr Clarinet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 01:36 AM   #5
saoq
bad moon rising

saoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to behold

and here's a picture of the infamous Yorgos Magas. I don't really like his style (too much showing off, let alone the costume thing). there many traditional clarinet players in greece and the balkans that are way better. Let me also note, that the clarinet and other wind instruments are not native to balkans. they became traditional instruments only after the 18 century or so (w/ the coming of european armies in the area). Ther balkan usage of the instrument is quite different from the classical one.

There are some multi-brass bands in the villages near the borders of Macedonia and Greece that are *EXCELLENT*. pure bliss.
saoq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2006, 03:54 AM   #6
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoq

and here's a picture of the infamous Yorgos Magas. I don't really like his style (too much showing off, let alone the costume thing). there many traditional clarinet players in greece and the balkans that are way better. Let me also note, that the clarinet and other wind instruments are not native to balkans. they became traditional instruments only after the 18 century or so (w/ the coming of european armies in the area). Ther balkan usage of the instrument is quite different from the classical one.

There are some multi-brass bands in the villages near the borders of Macedonia and Greece that are *EXCELLENT*. pure bliss.
Thanks for the added info.I think that piece is class.The costume aint bad either.

Old 07.20.2006, 03:58 AM   #7
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I. Have. A friend in you, oh Mr Clarinet....
From now on and due to my mispelling of its name i'm going to call it Clartinet no matter what.It's a hit or miss instrument for me.If someone plays the shit out of it i totally enjoy it,but if someone confines their playing to strict rules i go to sleep.Generally i apply that to any instrument.

Old 07.20.2006, 05:10 AM   #8
saoq
bad moon rising

saoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to behold
also during the last synch festival in athens, Maggas joined Tuxedomoon for some improvisation.

I'm not saying that I dislike what he does. I love balkan music - both for it's melodies and it's strange rhythms. It's just that i generally prefer performers of a lower profile and as far as technical abilities go, there are some lesser known but better players. Maggas is a great showman though, and he's great at making one want to dance or etc.
saoq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth