Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Age and cultural memory.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.17.2007, 02:16 PM   #41
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
this whole irony issue is so annoying. Someone says they like Paris Hilton, Avril Lavigne, Libertines, whatever and it's immediately assumed they're being 'ironic' and that they only REALLY like them in a 'so bad they're good' kind of way. It's actually possible to find gread pleasure in listening to them while still recognising their obvious shortcomings.

Besides, i'd certainly say that someone like Avril Lavigne is FAR better at what she does, than a band like, say, Blonde Redhead are at what THEY do.

Agreed. I had a conversation with a very good friend of mine the other day. He's someone who, entirely without irony (but perhaps with a smidge of belligerence) absolutely loves Chris Rea. He likes other, good things, as well. He was accusing me of liking Grime because it's hip and cool and such forth. Which is not accurate, but it's an easy way for someone who has little appreciation of dance-based music to accomodate for someone liking something that entirely mystifies him. People use the irony argument quite often when this is the case. Sometimes it gets on my tits, sometimes I couldn't give a fuck, sometimes (as we've seen today) it causes me great mirth to put an AIDS-curse on them. Tick-tock Mr & Bowels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 02:18 PM   #42
sarramkrop

Quote:
this whole irony issue is so annoying. Someone says they like Paris Hilton, Avril Lavigne, Libertines, whatever and it's immediately assumed they're being 'ironic' and that they only REALLY like them in a 'so bad they're good' kind of way. It's actually possible to find gread pleasure in listening to them while still recognising their obvious shortcomings.

Besides, i'd certainly say that someone like Avril Lavigne is FAR better at what she does, than a band like, say, Blonde Redhead are at what THEY do.
The irony bit is not as annoying as the sincerity side of things. Listening to indie, blah blah blah music for years has kind of made me quite distrustful of a lot of people who have some sort of similar taste as mine. From disliking continuous irony in music, I can safely say now that I rarely trust many people when they claim to be so much into music altogether. Indie music divides people more than it unites them, I think. Oh well, whatever, dinner's ready.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 02:19 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
this whole irony issue is so annoying. Someone says they like Paris Hilton, Avril Lavigne, Libertines, whatever and it's immediately assumed they're being 'ironic' and that they only REALLY like them in a 'so bad they're good' kind of way. It's actually possible to find great pleasure in listening to them while still recognising their obvious shortcomings.

avril has a LOT of help, from producers tweaking every single track on her songs, to writers writing the music to writers writing her songs to npublicists ensuring she only plays where the 13 year old girls can go see her to the sound guy at every show tweaking the board to ensure she "hits" the right notes etc etc etc

soooo

she in no way is better at what she does (top 40 ear-friendly rock) than Blonde Redhead is at what they do (sometimes sonically difficult avant rock)
Old 08.17.2007, 02:24 PM   #44
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I have a similar situation with Elton John, whose 70s output I genuinely think of as masterpieces. I wouldn't waste so much time listening to them If i just thought of them as kitsch.

Ditto Avril Lavigne's first album, 'Stars are Blind', and Green Day's 'Wake Me Up When September Ends'. All seriously great.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 02:38 PM   #45
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
avril has a LOT of help, from producers tweaking every single track on her songs, to writers writing the music to writers writing her songs to npublicists ensuring she only plays where the 13 year old girls can go see her to the sound guy at every show tweaking the board to ensure she "hits" the right notes etc etc etc

soooo

she in no way is better at what she does (top 40 ear-friendly rock) than Blonde Redhead is at what they do (sometimes sonically difficult avant rock)

If there's one thing more annoying than the whole 'ironic' issue, it's the whole 'but they don't even tune their own guitars' one.

Are The Ronettes inferior to 2 Non-Blondes because they never actually wrote Be My Baby?
Old 08.17.2007, 03:03 PM   #46
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
The best thing about being old is knowing just how much total crap music there was being made in any so-called "golden age of music when things had so much quality and you kids just don't get it" that people of your age group will look back on with rose-colored headphones.

Early 90s, I'm looking in your direction.

There is good music in every era, and there are also fucktons of crap being churned out at all times.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 03:05 PM   #47
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
the early 90s did blow except for a few bands. the whole alt-rock/grunge explosion was like a septic tank exploding and shit spewing everywhere.
Old 08.17.2007, 03:08 PM   #48
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I saw a lot of awesome shows in the mid 80s and early 90s.
I see a lot of awesome shows now.

I also saw a lot of crap shows and saw a lot of crap get a lot of attention back in "the day," just like now!
Wow! Perspective rules!
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 03:22 PM   #49
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If there's one thing more annoying than the whole 'ironic' issue, it's the whole 'but they don't even tune their own guitars' one.

Are The Ronettes inferior to 2 Non-Blondes because they never actually wrote Be My Baby?

noone was talking about better or worse dude, you were talking about avril being better at what she does than blonde redhead are at what they do.

george bush is better at being pigheaded than dean cook is at being funny but they both still suck ass.

if the judgement is to be made on songwriting then YES, sad to say 4 non blondes by virtue of having written somngs, are BETTER than the ronnettes. horrible world this.
Old 08.17.2007, 03:24 PM   #50
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I saw a lot of awesome shows in the mid 80s and early 90s.
I see a lot of awesome shows now.

I also saw a lot of crap shows and saw a lot of crap get a lot of attention back in "the day," just like now!
Wow! Perspective rules!

perspective DOES rule, but perspective is not just granted to all. it takes time and experience to gain perspective, hence the quick love given by youth culture to anything new even if it actually sucks ass.
Old 08.17.2007, 03:40 PM   #51
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
It's only cos we're living in a new age
You don't know what you're like when you're in a rage
They're gonna put you away in a cage
You better start to act your age
You better start to act your age

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 05:48 PM   #52
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm so putting an AIDS-curse on you right now.

is that ironic AIDs, will I die writhing in irony?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 06:04 PM   #53
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
the early 90s did blow except for a few bands.

how do you know? you weren't even born...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 06:57 PM   #54
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
the early 90s did blow except for a few bands. the whole alt-rock/grunge explosion was like a septic tank exploding and shit spewing everywhere.
Like every birth of some new rock genre (if you want to call it that) the first few bands are amazing but the hype is quick to these few and more and more shitty bands more in and jump on the bandwagon.

This is obviously a generalization.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 07:02 PM   #55
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
The irony bit is not as annoying as the sincerity side of things. Listening to indie, blah blah blah music for years has kind of made me quite distrustful of a lot of people who have some sort of similar taste as mine. From disliking continuous irony in music, I can safely say now that I rarely trust many people when they claim to be so much into music altogether. Indie music divides people more than it unites them, I think. Oh well, whatever, dinner's ready.

Irony is fine, and at times necessary. I'm talking about people having their taste described as ironic when in fact they might just like something. No more. No less.

Sincerity in music is also fine, but when it turns into earnestness I tend to run for cover.

Husker Du records are sincere. Sting records are earnest.
Old 08.17.2007, 07:15 PM   #56
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I feel rather sorry for a lot of overhyped bands. If i were a member of Arctic Monkeys, when the NME journalists voted their first album as one of the top five british albums ever, I'd be pissed off. That kind of thing immediately casts suspicion on a new band.

The Arctic Monkeys themselves are probably as aware as anyone that they're an OK band, but that they need time to see if they can become something more.

Alas, the bargain piles are filled with 'next big things' that were never given that time.
Old 08.17.2007, 07:29 PM   #57
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Im 22 but every day i feel older and older.

wow the mystery of time!!! however i posit that if you are feeling old at 22 you are not achieving any goals or chasing dreams to make your life better when you get older.....

cos im 33 and feel 22
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 07:59 PM   #58
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I'm way older than most of you here, but this thread made me feel like a spring chicken. Old farts.
Nevertheless, an interesting read.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 09:38 PM   #59
demonrail666
invito al cielo

this is a great thread, if only in that it proves how trying to make complicated points (that actually reflect what you mean) on a messageboard is fuckin impossible.

this type of debate requires lots of people sitting around an old wooden table, and free flowing alcohol.
Old 08.17.2007, 10:47 PM   #60
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Ok, I can offer a context for this argument - I was hanging out with this girl a few years ago. She was loads of fun, but not terribly bright, or so I thought. She was into Blink 182 and Green Day and that sort of thing. I turned her onto a few things, and she wasn't overly interested. No big deal. One day we get talking about history. She knew ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING and was only 19. Seriously, she was a complete genius when it came to history (and also fashion, but that probably doesn't appeal to my herewith audience). She would definitely fit your category of 'dumb, listens to what she's fed' with regards music. But I very nearly dismissed her when, in fact, she had (still has in fact) a hell of a lot to offer me. That she's not that into music is really one of the very smallest things imaginable.

And then there are people--like my brother, for instance--who have no interest in music at all. He's terribly smart when it comes to math and science, however, and is also a very good athlete. Every now and then I'll invite him to go out with me and my friends because he's usually more fun to hang out with than they are. He was my date for senior prom (he was in the 8th grade at the time) and we wore matching outfits. I didn't expect him to go along with it, but he has never embarrassed easily. I admire his ability to maintain a lot of good friendships despite having very little in common with the people he considers to be his closest friends. And he even acknowledges that he's quite different from them, though he doesn't seem to dwell on the fact. I just think it's funny to see his friends putting so much importance on music and movies and all those likes/dislikes that he really does not have. Our mom still picks out all his clothes for him. I don't know what else to say.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth