Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Where's the beef? (U2)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.24.2006, 04:48 AM   #1
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

ted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to behold
I keep seeing posts saying that U2 ripped off dirty boots, so could somebody point me in the direction of the exact U2 song in question (and say which part off dirty boots it rips off)?
ted_kennedy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 05:03 AM   #2
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
Here's a quote:
Quote:
Finally, it appears that even a mythically grand band like U2 need a helping hand every now and then. The band, reeling from the success of their latest How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (Interscope) clearly rip-off a well-known Sonic Youth guitar riff for their latest single, "Vertigo." The song begins with a riff easily comparable to SY's "Dirty Boots" off 1990's incredible Goo (DGC). The riff rip-off doesn't seem to have started any fires under the collective Sonic Youth ass, but it does remain a troubling reminder of the unoriginality and tiredness of mainstream pop ditties.

Sample of proof:

HowToDismantleASonicYouthSong:

http://www.iol.ie/~paulmoloney/HowToDismantleASonicYouthSong.mp3
sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 05:54 AM   #3
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
vertigo rips of the chorus of dirty boots. its subtle but it is there. the guitar riff just before the the crap bono lyrics come in
Old 04.24.2006, 05:55 AM   #4
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
its not as blatant as the cooper temple clauses molestation of drunken butterfly tho!
Old 04.24.2006, 10:03 AM   #5
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
crap bono lyric.....hehe, what a funny interpretation Paul
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 01:32 PM   #6
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

ted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to behold
Hmm... I'm sceptical that they (U2) even know who SY are, nevermind whether they listen enough to want to imitate.
ted_kennedy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 06:39 PM   #7
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
bono at least is aware...i have a rolling stone from the late 90's where bono describes his party music as running the gamut from wu-tang clan to sonic youth and some other acts i forget.
jennthebenn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2006, 01:07 AM   #8
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
man fuck a bono
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2006, 03:11 PM   #9
holy-reverb!!
children of satan

holy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of light
bonos custom gretsch is just............bonofied. need I say more?

holy-reverb!! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2006, 08:09 PM   #10
sleep33
little trouble girl

sleep33 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
wow, you guys have been talking about this "rip off" for like a year and its in no way a rip off. Its not like its a complex atonal riff. Its a simple V IV chord progression in the key of A. Its only two chords (actually their just power chords {I and V of chord tone} in both) and after that they are completely different,
U2s goes V IV in A and then goes to the IV of D ending with the original A powerchord.
SYs goes V IV in A and then goes to the root A and back down to the IV of D, G.

So this is a fact. There is no ripoff! This chord change can be found everywhere in rock music...
sleep33 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2006, 08:11 PM   #11
Drugstore_Cowboy
little trouble girl

Drugstore_Cowboy ain't too shabby
It is not just the chords, it is the vocal melody, as well. And since U2 is so horrible and Bono is a prick, I will use it as another device to hate them, as though I did not have myriads of devices already.
Drugstore_Cowboy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 05:41 PM   #12
sleep33
little trouble girl

sleep33 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I agree, I hate U2 but its still not a rip off...
sleep33 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 08:10 PM   #13
Richard Pryor on Fire
100%

Richard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's asses
Wyrd, I'm back in the cut. I'm with sleep33 it does sound similar but it's not a wholy unique and distinct riff. And I also hate U2 and so does every member of my Irish family, dumb yankess dig that shit.

http://pissingaway.blogspot.com/
Richard Pryor on Fire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 08:23 PM   #14
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
BONO FOR POPE!!!

nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth