Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page God my taste in music is all over the place at the moment
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.21.2007, 11:12 AM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Being well and truly bored with my usual goto bands/albums, this last couple of months has seen me dabbling in loads of stuff I'd previously pushed to one side.

I dipped my toe in classical music for about two weeks last month and found that, deep down, I just don't like it that much.

Erm, what else. Oh yeah, I also discovered that I liked Led Zeppelin last month, then I realised that, actually, I don't at all. The same with P-Funk.

Oh and for some reason, I always feel slightly silly whenever I listen to jazz.

Fuck me, I really wish I knew what I liked
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 11:23 AM   #2
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'm getting a bit jaded with music at the moment. Particularly the live music experience. But I suppose that serves me right for going to see post-rock bands play, they're hardly famous for their stage shows, are they? If they're going to be so static, they could at least bring along a Liquid Len lightshow.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
just wait awhile.

there is music that you have to wait until your personal makeup changes to better allow for enjoyment of said music. Quality Jazz and quality classical music are some of these.
Old 11.21.2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I'm getting a bit jaded with music at the moment. Particularly the live music experience. But I suppose that serves me right for going to see post-rock bands play, they're hardly famous for their stage shows, are they? If they're going to be so static, they could at least bring along a Liquid Len lightshow.

COUCH ROCK!

that is what I call those band's live shows. If a club had a fat bong and a couch for me to sit at while explosions in the sky or bardo pond or godspeed played, all would be right with the world. they just do NOT ROCK, you know?

they are great, but most definitely do not ROCK
Old 11.21.2007, 11:27 AM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, agreed. I want to hear those bands play, but I want a nice comfortable seat to sit in while I'm doing it. They should be playing in classic concert halls or churches (as long as they have comfortable seating), not rock venues.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 11:28 AM   #6
sarramkrop

When you say that you have been dabbling in loads of stuff, what sort exactly?

The reason I ask is because there is literally tons of music out there that is not immediately classifiable as pop/rock/classical/dance, therefore it's always worth keeping a spare set of ears for anything, time-permitting.

I personally never concentrated too much on one type of music, so I am far from an expert in any particular style, but it works wonders in that it keeps me stimulated and in an ever thirsty mood for new music, any kind.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 11:31 AM   #7
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen mono play in a cinema and eits too in an "abandoned" cinema, and I must admit that those were comfy and enjoyable settings. But even seeing them standing in front of the stage was great. I like to see how they play stuff, it's not "a big show" but it's really interesting from time to time. end of message.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 12:09 PM   #8
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm, Nefeli. I suppose I'm just bored with my CD collection (which is reasonably varied). It's just that anything new that I listen to, while interesting for a while, exhausts itself quite quickly. The same goes with trawling back through old faves. I'm just left with a sense of 'meh'.

I dunno, maybe my taste is changing. What it's changing into though is anyone's guess. If someone asked me what music I liked, I honestly wouldn't have a clue.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 12:52 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
just wait awhile.

there is music that you have to wait until your personal makeup changes to better allow for enjoyment of said music. Quality Jazz and quality classical music are some of these.

And are you going to get happy hardcore any time soon?

To Mr Rail - It's important to be able to say you don't like some things. People aren't people if they don't like and dislike things. They're just demographics. I'm pretty sure you're older than me, so I don't want to patronise you, but I had a similar thing a few years ago, and I realised that I just can't be bothered with guitars these days. I still like them, but I get genuinely excited when I do, rather than sticking a guitar album into my list of albums that have guitars in them. But yeah. Trust the instincts man. And listen to Cage's Empty Words, it's amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
...bardo pond...just do NOT ROCK, you know?...

hahahahahahaahahahaha
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 02:25 PM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
And are you going to get happy hardcore any time soon?

and what pray tell, is "happy hardcore?" some bands and links to their inevitable myspace pages would be appreciated and mad-repped.
Old 11.21.2007, 02:35 PM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Bands? The radio stations on this site should give you an idea. There are no bands. There's only about 5 actual DJs, and last count there's only two people bothering to make new HH.

This is not HH but some people enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 02:37 PM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
hmm.. i dunno if my taste in music is all over the place, i just buy/download whatever looks interesting at the time. the last few cd's i downloaded were a fall bootleg, x-legged sally (insane jazz), green milk from planet orange "birth of the neo trip", harry partch "king oedipus", some yuzo koshiro soundtracks (actraiser, shinboi 3), paranoia agent soundtrack, seiichi yamamoto "baptism" (which is just him on unaccompanied guitar), rage against the machine "evil empire" (my friend let me borrow one of their live concert vhs's, and some of the guitar stuff was amazing!), dodheimsgard "666 intentional", mouse on mars "idology", a william s burroughs class on creative writing, some disturbing peter sotos spoken word discs, and somehting called "the yamato drummers of japan" which is just some really weird tribal drumming record i haven't really researched yet.

I dunno, it's all sound, and a lot of sound is interesting, so .. whatever.

As for what happy hardcore is, Rob Instigator, it's just really bouncy, happy-sounding techno music with lots of fun melodies and overdriven bass drums.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 02:38 PM   #14
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I've discovered if a song is an excelent example of it's genre then I like it, thus I like all well crafted music.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 02:41 PM   #15
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Bands? The radio stations on this site should give you an idea. There are no bands. There's only about 5 actual DJs, and last count there's only two people bothering to make new HH.

This is not HH but some people enjoy it.

so it's techno dance music?

CANCEL MY BURGEONING INTEREST!
Old 11.21.2007, 02:43 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, a lot of people (surprisingly many on this board) get too caught up in genres and shit. if it's a good song, who gives a fuck. i've seen posts on this board like "i hate all noise" or "fuck math rock" and shit like that; a good song transcends genres. obvious but true.

Old 11.21.2007, 02:43 PM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I would have thought happy hardcore woudl be like a cross between ALL, a less-upset screeching weasel, and green day on nitrous.
Old 11.21.2007, 02:45 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yeah, and happy hardcore is pretty bad. I once dated a riot grrl chick (who thought the lyrics to that bikini kill song where they went "eat meat/start a war/beat your fucking wife/it's the same thing" or whatever were just GENIUS) who had some album called "Happy Hardcore Volume 7". Yeah. Shit.

For good techno, investigate the wipeout game soundtracks. No kidding. Or a lot of the more popular artists in "jungle", "IDM", and "glitch"... specifically ones that remember to have good melodies and not just farty clicks and cuts (with Autechre being an exception; they are exempt from any criticisms).

Also, I fucking LOVE screeching weasel, i actually own all their records. One of the best bands ever.

Old 11.21.2007, 02:48 PM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

i'm gonna beat my wife
i'm gonna beat my wife now
gonna smack her with a lead pipe
gonna smack her with a 2 x 4
run her over with a brink's truck
chase her down with a lawnmower
gonna beat my wife look out!
wife beatin' mistreatin'
wife slappin' it happen
gonna beat my wife
gonna beat your wife
gonna beat his wife
gonna beat her wife
gonna beat my wife
gonna slap my wife
gonna kick my wife
good god ya'll!
gonna beat my wife
gonna beat my wife
at the shelter
helter skelter
wife kickin'
finger lickin'
wife killin'
it's thrillin'
oh baby please don't beat me,
baby i promise i'll never sleep with
the moon in my face no more!
i'm gonna beat my wife
Old 11.21.2007, 02:50 PM   #20
sarramkrop

I have been getting really detached from outside opinions when it comes to what I listen to. I have possibly the worst and the best taste in music ever, but it doesn't matter, I make sure that I don't have to explain what i like to others and they don't have to explain theirs to me.

In fact, I have cut-out music talk from my life as much as I can. A generic chat is ok, but I have no intention to get deep into it for hours on end, it ruins the experience of what music should primarily be: enjoyment.

No matter the subject matter that it touches or the style that it is played in, it should be something that gives you enjoyment, not just grief. I have also been thinking a lot about how aesthetics can and do damage (to an extent) to music listening/ making. Aesthetics are a welcome embellishment on the experience of making/listening to music, but when they become the prime force behind those two, it just ruins the experience, at least for me.

A lot of indie rock thrives on aesthetics more than hard-working musicianship, therefore its lifespan is often as short as that of any other type of music that is put out primarily for mass consumption.

Once you understand that, you can really free yourself from many aesthetical constraints that uptight chord-playing can push the listener towards.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth