Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Happy Birthday Goo
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2020, 05:41 PM   #1
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Released 6-26-1990......30 years ago today!

I’ll be giving it a spin later tonight.

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come
In fields of swaying rape
It could not happen here - Tibet

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2020, 06:05 PM   #2
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Forgot how good Titanium Expose is, I love anything with both Thurston and Kim singing on though.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2020, 06:32 PM   #3
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.spin.com/2020/06/dont-gi...ic-youths-goo/

some good nuggets in here. for instance, i didn't realize kim's part in "titanium exposé" comes from an ll cool j song.
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2020, 09:25 PM   #4
shallow27
children of satan

shallow27 kicks all y'all's assesshallow27 kicks all y'all's assesshallow27 kicks all y'all's assesshallow27 kicks all y'all's assesshallow27 kicks all y'all's assesshallow27 kicks all y'all's assesshallow27 kicks all y'all's assesshallow27 kicks all y'all's assesshallow27 kicks all y'all's assesshallow27 kicks all y'all's assesshallow27 kicks all y'all's asses
'Goo' was great, they abandoned that aura of indie band but actually it's not a commercial LP with stupid and conventional songs, 'Dirty' was more geared to sell records or being popular embracing the grunge scene than this.
shallow27 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2020, 09:53 PM   #5
matmosphere
little trouble girl

matmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for posting the article. It's interesting to see Thurston and Lee kind of skirt around not being totally happy with the album, and talk about the learning curve recording with a higher budget. I'd be very interested to hear it without all the overdubs, like Lee suggested in the article.

Goo has never been among my favorite SY albums, it's good but it doesn't quite sound right to me. The deluxe remaster sounds way better, I was really surprised with how different it was. It sounds more like the band that made Sister than the original mixes did. The first time I heard it I really gained a lot more appreciation for the record.

Perhaps I should revisit those demos some time.
matmosphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2020, 08:54 AM   #6
NYCgaf16
stalker

NYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's asses
goo was the first sy album i listened to! it's really important to me

M,16y/o
NYCgaf16 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2020, 01:15 PM   #7
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Is this Spin article the first time they’ve all willfully contributed to an interview together since 2011?
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2020, 12:33 AM   #8
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ranaldo: There's like a million mashups and takeoffs of that cover, like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie or Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza. We are actually going to try and collect them in a book.

Shelley: Before the pandemic happened we had a number of things we were thinking about for the anniversary of Goo. And then all sorts of things went to the side as our priorities changed. But one of them was a book filled with what we call Goo mashups. We will see if we get it out this year.

That would be fabulous, although a month after it's published —whenever that is— there'll be enough new "Goo mashups" online to fill two more volumes.

Now, there's a coupla errors in the Spin article (not to quibble, you know ):

—The name of the composer is of course La Monte Young, not Lamont Young, who I just learned was a "nineteenth century geological surveyor who disappeared in New South Wales". So... a disappearer? Maybe it's not a complete mistake after all. Spooky...

—Speaking of, the link to the "Disappearer" 12" cover takes you to the CD maxi-single artwork, not the Traci Lords image with the halo above her.

Great "oral history" piece in any event!

GADJI BERI BIMBA CLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDE E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2020, 01:32 AM   #9
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
marking time....

oh Goo. my gateway to SY. love this album. some great memories when listening to it on a repeat back in 95.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2020, 11:16 AM   #10
g.
bad moon rising

g. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's asses
I love Goo.

Probably my most played SY vinyl at the moment.
g. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2020, 08:05 PM   #11
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Goo and You!
Old 06.28.2020, 10:18 PM   #12
SonicSleuth
little trouble girl

SonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's asses
My first
SonicSleuth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2020, 02:13 PM   #13
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
To add a dissenting opinion: in this 1991 piece about Pavement, Simon Reynolds briefly characterized Goo as a step backwards. (The postscript with a different font is his 2009 reflection on the subject for his compilation Bring The Noise: 20 Years Of Writing About Hip Rock And Hip Hop.)

GADJI BERI BIMBA CLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDE E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 06.30.2020, 02:30 PM   #14
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
Seems like SY didn’t care much for Reynolds around that period. I remember a 1990 show that I was listening to recently where Thurston asks if “Simon fuckface Reynolds” was in attendance and I think another band member calls him a misogynist later in the gig.
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2020, 03:16 PM   #15
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by halgreen
Seems like SY didn’t care much for Reynolds around that period. I remember a 1990 show that I was listening to recently where Thurston asks if “Simon fuckface Reynolds” was in attendance and I think another band member calls him a misogynist later in the gig.

Sounds like a knee-jerk reaction by Thurston to a criticism, the way he acted years earlier towards Robert Christgau. The "misogynist" label has absolutely zero basis - Reynolds had not written The Sex Revolts: Gender, Rebellion And Rock 'N' Roll with his wife Joy Press yet, but come on.

I would say Simon Reynolds and Clinton Heylin are my favorite contemporary music writers. Bill Meyer always nails it, too. Byron Coley is excellent with those microreviews; better when he's allowed to write longer pieces. Ira Robbins, where is he now? Ritchie Unterberger has written essential research books like White Light/White Heat: The Velvet Underground Day-by-Day. Michael Azerrad earned his place in the pantheon with Our Band Could Be Your Life. Christgau, well, he has the awesome merit of having "seen" things nobody else saw (case in point: an A+ in 1972 for Exile On Main St., which he called a masterpiece while even greats like Lester Bangs and Lenny Kaye weren't on board), yet for every visionary moment he's made a completely bonkers put-down.

Alright, enough thread derailing. Goo on.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth