Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page So i'm going away and I'm spending a large amount of money on cds to listen to...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.29.2007, 04:51 AM   #21
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
Hoover.
Old 06.29.2007, 05:22 AM   #22
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
lubricated goat
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 05:36 AM   #23
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Guys I appreciate the help but remember: NON obscure bands.
Old 06.29.2007, 05:42 AM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hoover Sucks.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 06:59 AM   #25
sarramkrop

Finally there's some African hiphop to be bought on wax again, and we are not talking about the famous print cloth worn by your mothers. This is the West-African hiphop compilation 'Africa Raps' on vinyl carrying the voices of some 30 emcees. Twenty of them all feature in one song, which is a bonus exclusive to this release. The epic Siensal remix by Pee Froiss features the following artists, as if to prove that there is unity among Senegal's emcees:

Awadi (PBS), Black J (Rak Tak), Chaka Babs, Abass, Nix (Kanthiolis), Baye Sen (Sen Kumpe), Baye Souley (PBS), Taf Taf (Noni None), Miriam (Alif), Baxao (Da Brains), Kool Coc 6 (Pee Froiss), KT (Rapadio), Jules (Sikki Sakka), Matador (BMG44), Alto, Daddy Bibson, Omar Ben Khatab (BMG44), Aladjiman (Daara J), Pacotille, Xuman (Pee Froiss) and Dioum B.

The topic of this remix is an imaginary 'what if', modelled after American emcee Fredro Starr's track of that title: "What if New York without Giuliani? What if Mike Tyson fought Ali in his prime? What if Will Smith got gangsta and start cursin rhymes? What if Erik never met Parish?".

Obviously the Senegalese rappers have localized their rhymes. Emcee Nix: "What if there would be no condoms in Dakar, how many street kids would we have?" while Daddy Bibson insists: "There's no What If, because God made everything to be the way it is - God is great and he doesn't leave anything at random".

Meanwhile in Tanzania, the same topic caused an uproar when rapper Mwanafalsafa's "Ingekuwa vipi" (yes, the Swahili version of 'What if') was answered by the release of Wandago Family's radio single "Ingekuwa poa" ('It would be cool').

The Africa Raps vinyl album, with tracks from Senegal, Mali and Gambia will be available soon through selected outlets (limited edition)! Keep an eye on our Store to order straight from the web. The impatient may check out the website of <a href="http://www.trikont.de" target=_blank>Trikont, the German label behind the release.

/VM INTERVIEW 1. i'd never heard the "uplink data transmissions" 12" until i downloaded tracks on your website. what do you think about that 12" in retrospect? what year did that come out? how did you get to where you are today from there? yes that was made back in 96 and it was a nice way to start for us, i think first releases are always the hardest to get past. i mean you can look at autechres first release "cavity job" which is hardcore/rave and say how did they get to where they are now - but i think you just do and one day when it's all finished you sit and look and go shit - look at that mess i've just left behind... right now i'm just working on instinct. 2. the wire article was enthusiastic and hype-ish - since then their (the wire) reviews have been less than friendly (in my opinion) towards your work - how do you view the press in general and the wire in particular when it comes to making music? does the press affect what direction you take in any way? yeah the wire have virtually ignored us ever since i called scanner a twat as they are friends with him. but that's up to them i still stand by the fact he's a twat. but yeah the press need the musicians as much as we need the press. but what is sad is press which needs advertising revenue because then you read not a review but a tactfully considered review to keep the advertising money rolling in. i never advertise anywhere - so i think that leaves journalists and the press free to call it good or shit and i'm happy with either. 3. from my vantage point, there is something very 'english' about v/vm - the graphics, the pop culture references, even the music you choose to mangle - do you agree? is there something specific about the cultural climate/situation in england that makes you do what you do? of course - we are all products of our environment. VVM is very northern english in its outlook and output. but again it crosses over and it appeals to a world audience judgung by the e-mails i get from all over the place. 4. i read a review of one of your live shows where the writer didn't know what to make of the masks and costumes. i think he interpreted it as some sort of commentary on the facelessness of pop culture or some such thing. so, what's with the masks and costumes? well the masks and costumes are used for a reason of course and it all ties in with the output, but again people interpret it in many ways and that can only be good. there is no right way to interpet it. 5. how do you imagine people listen to or "use" your music? what would be your suggested listening environment for something like the "machine components" 7"s, as opposed to the "selected memories from the haunted ballroom" cd, as opposed to the "sick love" cd? well it's music for different moods, sick love is for that special love moment when your lover has run off with the local librarian, the ballroom is late at night music, machine music is for that time when you want to build something - but i think that's what keeps vvm interesting, the labels output is very diverse for a small label and we take chances with our output. i mean our audience is small and it would be easy to just churn out what they want and then we're all happy, but fuck that i want to release as many different things as i can and pull in more and different people but equally you lose others along the way but then regain them later anyway. but variety is the spice of life or so they say. 6. in the new "hate you" cd, the list of musicians you is long and incomplete. i've read your elaboration on the dj spooky hate, and some of your other 'hates' are fairly obvious (thom yorke, badly drawn boy, fatboy slim, mr. scruff, etc) but what about dj scud and praxis? could you elaborate on that hate? dj scud and praxis, well i could elaborate but i'll choose not to right now - they've said too much and i say nothing so that's all there is to it - there are reasons for it and one thing is for sure it's not musical because the music vvm releases compared to praxis and scud is a million miles away, - but like everything there's a story to be found. but i love them both anyway - 7. back to the "hate you" cd - v/vm hates a lot of people - but who does v/vm love? anyone? oh i love everyone who is on the hate list for starters - that's what the cd says - it's one big contradiction // 8. who is Russ Abbot and why is he on the cover of "hate you"? yeah russ abbot was a big english tv comedian, very popular in the 80's and was voted world pipe smoker of the year one year. but i like russ,,,, these days he stars in musicals in london - if anybody is wondering.

http://brainwashed.com/vvm/releases/...t/offal03b.htm
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 07:05 AM   #26
sarramkrop

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 07:09 AM   #27
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

what a great album cover
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 07:18 AM   #28
sarramkrop

In case you don't know who V/VM is, here's a review of a gig he played with Sonic Youth a few years ago:
http://www.drownedinsound.com/event/view/8

http://www.some-assembly-required.ne...-2006-vvm.html
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 05:12 PM   #29
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Hoover Sucks.

you suck.
Old 06.29.2007, 09:17 PM   #30
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
NON Obscure......
I.e. mostly well known bands that you are likely to find in a relatively large cd shop.
Old 06.29.2007, 09:29 PM   #31
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
do you already have Darklands by Jesus & Mary Chain?

Sorry, this genre really isn't my specialty.
vulva is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 09:48 PM   #32
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulva
do you already have Darklands by Jesus & Mary Chain?

Sorry, this genre really isn't my specialty.
I have Psychocandy and I despise it. It's way to reverb-y.
Old 06.29.2007, 09:51 PM   #33
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
give Darklands a shot, a bit more accessible I find.
Old 06.29.2007, 09:58 PM   #34
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

And why should I trust a vagina over the internet?
Old 06.29.2007, 10:00 PM   #35
vulva
the end of the ugly

I'm yet to let you down.
Old 06.29.2007, 10:04 PM   #36
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Although you have a point, I just don't want to buy a JAMC cd.
Old 06.29.2007, 10:05 PM   #37
vulva
the end of the ugly

fair enough, I'm really not in to indie that much and relatively new to the genre you're requesting. Just wanted to try to help a bit.
Old 06.29.2007, 10:07 PM   #38
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Thanks anyway.
Old 06.29.2007, 10:09 PM   #39
vulva
the end of the ugly

a part of me wants to suggest Tori Amos' From The Choirgirl Hotel, but that's just because I always suggest it as it's my overall favourite album.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth