Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped cover art
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.22.2006, 07:50 AM   #101
franck.j
empty page

franck.j is a splendid one to beholdfranck.j is a splendid one to beholdfranck.j is a splendid one to beholdfranck.j is a splendid one to beholdfranck.j is a splendid one to beholdfranck.j is a splendid one to beholdfranck.j is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by making the drama scene
Well, so this is the LP cover
Don't know if they're making them different
That would be great, this one is so much better.
franck.j is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 10:48 AM   #102
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
or maybe just the graphic designer of rather ripped's cover was on strike?

or asleep. when i find out who did it... i'm issuing a fatwah. odinarily, i wouldn't give a shit. it just bugs the hell out of me that people would associate me with something that i detest so completely.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 11:08 AM   #103
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
or asleep. when i find out who did it... i'm issuing a fatwah. odinarily, i wouldn't give a shit. it just bugs the hell out of me that people would associate me with something that i detest so completely.
That was only one person. I didn't think it was you, simply because I like all of things that you have posted in the 'post your art or die' thread. And I think the majority of us are that way.
Old 04.22.2006, 11:52 AM   #104
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, it is a bit....hmmm. Don't really like it but I think I could if it was in a different colour maybe. The kungfunation image looks nicer but it justs looks like some kind of preliminary thing.

Also, the fact that the record is called Rather Ripped and the cover looks....ripped....is, well, shit.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 11:56 AM   #105
sleep33
little trouble girl

sleep33 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Ahh it looks to produced or something,
sleep33 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 12:07 PM   #106
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
It looks more like a drip to me than a rip...

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 02:08 PM   #107
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
I don't have a problem with the artwork. I like it better than Nurse.
Old 04.22.2006, 02:17 PM   #108
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Proud Marie ain't too shabby
I can stare at the covers for BMR, DDN, and ATL while listening to the music and just feel this weird thing in it. It was really cool, but this cover is way to simplistic and just straight forward, it doesnt have those eerie feelings like others. I would much rather have the woman putting on make-up - ITS NOT A FUCKING TOILET!!!!! - then this.
Proud Marie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 02:29 PM   #109
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for calling my attention to that image, stirling...

modern art was the first type of painting where one could use a lot of black on the canvas. before modern art, using too much black was essentially making a hole in the canvas. abstract expressionism as a school originated in nyc...it's an american art form.
in the picture for the rather ripped vinyl we see a large area of art brut abstract expressionist style black over what appears to be a persian rug type of pattern. of course persia is now iran & the middle east. The juxtaposition of the ornamented, symmetrical style against the large area of the black that is almost invading & besmirching it is very powerful.
As an aesthetic, I personally enjoy this more than a picture of a persian rug. now if i were laying down an actual rug on the floor, i would prefer not to have a big "stain" on it. Ah, the mysteries of art.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 07:40 PM   #110
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
thanks for calling my attention to that image, stirling...

modern art was the first type of painting where one could use a lot of black on the canvas. before modern art, using too much black was essentially making a hole in the canvas. abstract expressionism as a school originated in nyc...it's an american art form.
in the picture for the rather ripped vinyl we see a large area of art brut abstract expressionist style black over what appears to be a persian rug type of pattern. of course persia is now iran & the middle east. The juxtaposition of the ornamented, symmetrical style against the large area of the black that is almost invading & besmirching it is very powerful.
As an aesthetic, I personally enjoy this more than a picture of a persian rug. now if i were laying down an actual rug on the floor, i would prefer not to have a big "stain" on it. Ah, the mysteries of art.

sadly it's not that complex. it's just a referential christopher wool piece. the repeating pattern presented an opportunity to do something more clever with. an actually spraypainted stencil would have given the cover more dimension and complemented the texture. there were a lot of missed opportunities with it. it also would have been much better in just black and white. in this case, the red just screams of a manner in which to not get lost in the racks.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 07:48 PM   #111
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
I agree w/ chabib. I like the look of the black & white alot more than the red saturated cover.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth