Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page drummers - something is not right with these 'people'
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.26.2015, 05:13 AM   #1
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
fuck them.

really.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2015, 05:20 AM   #2
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
You okay? It's been pretty silent around you lately.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2015, 05:25 AM   #3
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
example one:

really good free improv drummer. played with mats gustafson and the likes. got him on board to play with us. started out great. played a few very good shows. then it got to a point where he started crying during practices and we had to keep him from killing his ex gf. started to totally suck at drumming. couldn't sit, had to hold onto snare while playing.

then he got into a bar fight and ended with two spall fractures in his arm.
Old 05.26.2015, 05:30 AM   #4
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

example two:

got a new drummer. more of a pop-rock style guy. very good at what he does, not so much for impro but with fixed structures... brilliant.
so we played with him for half a year now. He was really into it. Actually wanted to play with us long before (when we still were playing with the drunk guy).
got together a really intense and i think great set.
sent out stuff... had like 6 or 7 nice gigs planned. Had a label that wanted to put out record... people who heard the stuff where very enthusiastic about it.
yesterday he fucking quit the band...
5 days before first show with him.

fuck.
Old 05.26.2015, 05:41 AM   #5
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
You okay? It's been pretty silent around you lately.

Hey hey.
besides that that guy just ruined half a year of musical work and effort i'm fine.
been working a lot lately. restaurant still standing. supposedly islamic emirate of qatar is buying the place now, so we're up against them instead of france.

sorry i missed your event at the london club. next time!
Old 05.26.2015, 05:51 AM   #6
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

to be fair
i play with several other drummers in different projects. they are very nice people. just not (very) good drummers.
Old 05.26.2015, 03:48 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
that sucks! dumping you like that at the last minute is true fuckery.

can't suggest anything other than finding a new ape to replace him or pulling a big black and programming a drum machine that will never betray you.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2015, 04:25 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Good drummers are rare so we guitarists have to tolerate their many idiosyncrasies.. its that or do it all yourself in the studio which frankly is too much work

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2015, 05:23 PM   #9
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
don't know many drummers. the ones I've met were ok. not in the pocket without groove blah, slight technical without knowledge or lazy to tune drums. you hear that thuddy drop a brick on the pavement sound everywhere. as far as emotional problems?...hope it becomes the new stereotype.

I love drums. im the best drummer I know. once you learn rolls and that all famous rim shot in band class by the way of a friend. it's on. it's a posture thing.

also you can't be shy on drums. everybody can hear you so you have to be loud and proud. otherwise you'll get no where. but start off quiet and proud first because it doesn't matter because everyone can still hear you.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2015, 03:08 PM   #10
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Good drummers are rare so we guitarists have to tolerate their many idiosyncrasies.. its that or do it all yourself in the studio which frankly is too much work

It's true. Good drummers are fucking rare. I've never had an experience quite like what ATT's describing, but I did used to work with this really thunderous drummer, a technical wiz. He was really nice and really weird- wore pleated pants and argyle sweaters, even during sweaty disgusting basement gigs. But his eccentricity was that he was clean cut like a Mormon, and that was fine for us.

Then things just got really weird. He started desperately trying to get laid, creeped people out. Started drinking out of nowhere, and became the butt of a lot of jokes. He got, like, blind drunk to the point where he'd piss his pants during practice. Then, fist fight with guitarist for one of the bands we played with most. By then he already had a replacement filling in for him ½ the time. So .. He had to go. And he went, happily. Ended up having some serious psychological problems. 6 months later, institutionalized.

Then his replacement, who was all muscle and a little more lax on the technical side, turned out to be super ambitious, and really committed. He was a good stylistic fit, and had connections with established bands. Great guy, but also a closet heroin addict. Took a while to figure that one out.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2015, 03:23 PM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Best drummer I ever played with was actually mainly a guitarist. But he had taken piano and drum lessons as well. He was really a genius. One day he just plopped down behind the kit and left me on guitar. He just sat there for a second during rehearsal and listened, and then he proceeded to spazz the fuck out on some crazy jazzy/mathy shit, and he just killed it. I think the rest of us tired out before he did.

Funny how things work out sometimes. We had to lose two "proper" drummers and panic for a bit before we found the perfect drummer in our second guitarist.

Then of course the band totally fell apart for completely unrelated reasons. Lol.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2015, 08:02 PM   #12
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
It's true. Good drummers are fucking rare. I've never had an experience quite like what ATT's describing, but I did used to work with this really thunderous drummer, a technical wiz. He was really nice and really weird- wore pleated pants and argyle sweaters, even during sweaty disgusting basement gigs. But his eccentricity was that he was clean cut like a Mormon, and that was fine for us.

Then things just got really weird. He started desperately trying to get laid, creeped people out. Started drinking out of nowhere, and became the butt of a lot of jokes. He got, like, blind drunk to the point where he'd piss his pants during practice. Then, fist fight with guitarist for one of the bands we played with most. By then he already had a replacement filling in for him ½ the time. So .. He had to go. And he went, happily. Ended up having some serious psychological problems. 6 months later, institutionalized.

Then his replacement, who was all muscle and a little more lax on the technical side, turned out to be super ambitious, and really committed. He was a good stylistic fit, and had connections with established bands. Great guy, but also a closet heroin addict. Took a while to figure that one out.

lol!! think you just defined this thread.
Old 05.28.2015, 04:15 AM   #13
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
My last band broke up because our drummer had mental problems and ruined the band for everyone. The band before that broke up because we couldn't find a drummer (the one good one we found wanted to sing instead and brought his friend along to drum in his place, and his friend was awful)
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2015, 06:22 AM   #14
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that sucks! dumping you like that at the last minute is true fuckery.

can't suggest anything other than finding a new ape to replace him or pulling a big black and programming a drum machine that will never betray you.

yeah. also,
that dude runs the practice space we used (also with different projects). it was the cheapest and nicest of all practice spaces I ever saw in Vienna. great.
basically we were the only ones who took care of that place too. repairing shit. cleaning, organizing. big fuckwartery.
super weird, used to play with him in primordial undermind too, a band he never really liked and always wanted to play in my project. now this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

well, guitarist are the worst too.
never had any problems with tuba players. they have very gentle minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccagotcursedout

also you can't be shy on drums. everybody can hear you so you have to be loud and proud. otherwise you'll get no where. but start off quiet and proud first because it doesn't matter because everyone can still hear you.

yeah, i'm a pretty bad ass fake free jazz drummer myself too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

i hear you. drummers and heroin don't seem to go together very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
My last band broke up because our drummer had mental problems and ruined the band for everyone. The band before that broke up because we couldn't find a drummer (the one good one we found wanted to sing instead and brought his friend along to drum in his place, and his friend was awful)

in primordial undermind, we had 6 drummers in the last 2 years.
one quit music to become a monk. he was really good though.
rest of them just disappeared.
Old 05.28.2015, 04:35 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
The best drummer I ever played with quit music to get a doctorate in studying butterflies.. serious shit. He hadn't played drums in two years while getting his Masters, literally the first time he had played in all that time and was still sublime... I felt like a virgin.. then he disappeared off into academia again..

Guy just was really into butterflies

Old 05.28.2015, 04:49 PM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Back in da day, my two roommates were auditioning drummers for their band, and the long line of nuts that showed up were quite illuminating.

One guy just wanted to play Sabbath covers

One guy was so shitty, such a shitty drummer, that after stopping several songs earlier than midway, said "I just wanted to jam with someone"

One guy spent the entire audition complaining about the drum kit he was "forced" to use, and he did not even bring drumsticks.

Another guy played OK, but seemed more interested in talking about his past gigs as a roadie for Metallica and for Neil Young and Kiss in 1979 (he was pretty old)

the great drummers are tough to pin down, because they ussually play in like 5 different groups.
Old 05.28.2015, 04:51 PM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

One guy just wanted to play Sabbath covers

Send the motherfucker on over to my jam space.. I'm always down.

Old 05.28.2015, 05:24 PM   #18
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

just because you think you've mastered an instrument doesn't mean there is a life long dedication to it for some. which is kinda crap way of thinking about it.

it's like thinking you have gone as far as your potential can put into playing guitar. put it down, then three years later you remembered what you've learned and realize u can do much more.

but, then again I've never played in a band before because where I come from people are inbreeds.
Old 05.28.2015, 06:15 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Bands are like dating multiple people simultaneously..

Old 05.29.2015, 08:47 AM   #20
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
David Letterman Loves Your Drums, Can He Buy Them?

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth