Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Books you read as a child
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2006, 02:06 AM   #21
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Those orange movie monster books.
Old 04.13.2006, 02:34 AM   #22
samantha.
little trouble girl

samantha. has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
rhoal dahl, judy blume, the diaries of adrian mole. thats about all i can remember oh that guy that they based the australian show 'round the twist,' on....

someone jennings

It's Paul Jennings.

My favourite book by Roald Dahl is "James and the Giant Peach". I remember being completely engrossed when my Year 2 teacher was reading that book to the class.

I also read the Harry Potter series..oh, and the Tale of Peter Rabbit! Man, I loved that book when I was a kid.
samantha. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:43 AM   #23
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Catweazle, The Nose Knows and anything featuring the mighty Paddington Bear. He was my fictional hero (still is, really).

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 04:07 AM   #24
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
"Bunnicula" and "The Celery Stalks At Midnight" and "Truely Scary Stories"
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 05:27 AM   #25
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Paddington Bear always manages to cheer you up and invoke nostalgia.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 05:48 AM   #26
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Paddington Bear always manages to cheer you up and invoke nostalgia.

Paddington's the greatest.

There are two types of children's story characters, generally. Ones hat teach you to do nothing more than fulfil a societally conditioned role (Postman Pat, Bob the Builder etcc) and those who teach you to be an individual ans explore things (Paddington, etc). I prefer the latter, and I tink children should be generally dissuaded from the former. The exception to the above rules is the very funny and excellent Roobarb and Custard, which was all about spite, one-upmanship and and scorn.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 05:52 AM   #27
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
peter rabbit
pigling bland
roald dahl
the train that was all "I think I can I think I can..."
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 05:56 AM   #28
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i read a huge amount as a child. i prefered reading to any form of physical activity like spoerts or whatever so was constantly to be found with my head in a book.

i too read clive barker when i was younger although it didnt really have that much of an effect on me. it was the hellbound heart, from which hellraiser was spawned but it didnt get to me nearly as much as a book i read about the aftermath of a bombing the title of which forever escapes me.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 06:30 AM   #29
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I did'nt read much as a child.I spent most of the time by myself drawing and painting.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 07:36 AM   #30
Kim C Not G
bad moon rising

Kim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the rough
A Wrinkle in Time- Sorry , don't remember the author's name.
There's a part of the book where they go to this planet where everyone's the same and every kid is outside bouncing the ball at the same beat. That always stuck with me and I don't know why.

The Witch's Button - Again, can't remmeber the author.
I was so scared of that book I couldn't even finish it. Scared of a book! ha I was such a wimp. Eventually I did read the damn book and it wasn't even close to being scary. I pysched myself out.
Kim C Not G is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 09:58 AM   #31
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
yeahhh
Fantastic Mr. Fox

for sure
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:57 AM   #32
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
definitely roald dahl.. matilda was the first book i ever read (in one day-i was six) so i think that says enough his short stories are genius too

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:04 AM   #33
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Amaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud of
the velveteen rabbit, the little prince, roald dahl books, dr suess books, and where the wild things are
Amaranth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:30 AM   #34
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth
the velveteen rabbit, the little prince, roald dahl books, dr suess books, and where the wild things are

Where the Wild Things Are!
awesome
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:45 PM   #35
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
A Wrinkle in Time is by Madiliene Engels (can't spell it) I love that book and I liked some of her others.
Oh yeah, The Redwall series were the shit. I spent a whole year reading nothing but those books.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:48 PM   #36
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Paddington's the greatest.

There are two types of children's story characters, generally. Ones hat teach you to do nothing more than fulfil a societally conditioned role (Postman Pat, Bob the Builder etcc) and those who teach you to be an individual ans explore things (Paddington, etc).

That is why I love Dr. Seuss.

I don't know why but I've always been fascinated with him.

Him and Houdini. Two crazy peeps.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:50 PM   #37
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
suuss owns! ive heard alot about his stories being very metaphorical. which is rad!
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:53 PM   #38
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
velveteen rabbit is great!
Old 04.13.2006, 04:13 PM   #39
Kim C Not G
bad moon rising

Kim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
A Wrinkle in Time is by Madiliene Engels (can't spell it) I love that book and I liked some of her others.
Oh yeah, The Redwall series were the shit. I spent a whole year reading nothing but those books.

That's her name! Thanks.
Kim C Not G is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 11:22 PM   #40
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
I think her name is spelled Madeleine L'Engle. Whatever it was, it was weird. I read A Wrinkle In Time and all of the books that were sort of sequels to it, in a way. Same basic characters. Some were way better than the others. A Wrinkle In Time was the best, of course. When I was in grade school I read the whole thing to my youngest brother, who was about four years old. I did the same thing with the Harry Potter books, which I still read obsessively.

Danny, The Champion of the World was, by far, my favorite Roald Dahl book.

The Werewolf of Fever Swamp was the best Goosebumps. I collected that series up until about #80 or so, I think. Haha, I guess I was in the third or fourth grade, and it finally hit me that the series was declining in quality.

It's difficult for me to remember all the books I read as a kid. I read so many. Whenever I would go to my friends' houses, they would always have TVs or computers in their rooms, or a basketball hoop outside, and there was never a shortage of things to do. The only cool thing I had at my house for the longest time was a Super Nintendo. I remember at first being too scared to play it. So I just read books all the time instead.

My absolute favorite book as a very small child was this one that came in a Reader's Digest children's book collection. It was called Rumples and Tumbles Go to the Country. In it, two toy rabbits search all over the countryside for a real live rabbit. On their way, they meet a bunch of different animals, and one of the rabbits always ends up saying, "If that's a rabbit, then I'm the Queen of England!" My favorite part was when they met a cow and it stuck its head through the bushes. I flipped to that page so many times that it fell out. Thankfully, my dad had memorized the entire page verbatim (and it was pretty long), so he wrote it all out on an index card and stuck it in place of the old page.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth