Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.30.2016, 06:39 AM   #19821
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Let the Right One In was fucking BRILLIANT..

Yea, that and a few other decent blood sucker shows recently, Only Lovers Left Alive, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, What We Do in the Shadows....haven't had a chance to see Yakuza Apocalypse, but it looks very promising
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2016, 10:25 AM   #19822
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
Yea, that and a few other decent blood sucker shows recently, Only Lovers Left Alive, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, What We Do in the Shadows....haven't had a chance to see Yakuza Apocalypse, but it looks very promising

Oh yeah, What We do in the Shadows is great. I haven't seen the others you mentioned, but that one was a beaut. Looking forward to the sequel, We're Wolves!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2016, 11:19 AM   #19823
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Let the Right One In was fucking BRILLIANT. Brilliant, I say.

Let me in was bleh meh. Who needs it.

yes but it's been a few years

LET ME IN was quite good actually, if you avoid the comparison

i enjoyed it a lot.

==========

another vampire thing just watched:

DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS

mildly erotic 70s euro production. it was bad-but-great. what i mean is-- it was a bit preposterous all around, and the screenplay + acting were a bit uneven, but good aesthetics and tasteful nudity-- and i thought delphine seyrig was great as a mysterious hungarian countess. good midnight movie.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2016, 09:56 AM   #19824
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
isappointingly, in the film the students are taught to use magic to conjure weapons, which they then wield for combat training; that's much less interesting than using magic to cast, like, crazy-ass spells."

Dr. Strange. gonna see it as soon as the Chinese/Taiwanese mafia loads up a torrent.....
Old 11.02.2016, 03:12 PM   #19825
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
for halloween i watched the 2011 the thing prequel. i thought it was pretty good. i'm going to admit the primary reason i watched it was for mary elizabeth winstead. then i rewatched carpenter's. wow what a classic! kurt russel need to come back. we miss you.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2016, 06:41 PM   #19826
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
finally saw TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE from beginning to end

holy fuck that was a fucked up movie. my wife was closing her eyes and covering her ears by the end. i did manage eyes open, but man, that was some sick shit.

---

watched also AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and it was good and funny and the hot nurse was hot and i didn't like the puppet too much but okay it was the 1980s.

in some featurette in the disc john landis (the director) made a great point about this movie-- he said this was a very funny movie (he hoped) but not a comedy-- it was a horror film. and i appreciate his sage understanding of genres-- lately people have been calling all sort of horrible shit "comedies" because "sarcasm" or something. like, what's the one with that corrupt drug addicted scottish cop-- that was no comedy it was just disturbing sickening shit.
Old 11.05.2016, 08:41 PM   #19827
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Jason Bourne. They should probably stop making more sequels. Seemed so repetitive at this point.
Old 11.05.2016, 09:10 PM   #19828
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

watched also AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and it was good and funny and the hot nurse was hot and i didn't like the puppet too much but okay it was the 1980s.

Nurse Price. Right you are.

The job was to be a hot nurse, and she did the shit out of it.
Old 11.05.2016, 09:17 PM   #19829
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
for halloween i watched the 2011 the thing prequel. i thought it was pretty good. i'm going to admit the primary reason i watched it was for mary elizabeth winstead. then i rewatched carpenter's. wow what a classic! kurt russel need to come back. we miss you.

I kinda think it might be happening. He was in The Hateful 8 after all, and I think he's lined up to be in some Marvel film in the near future.

Yeah though, Carpenter's original The Thing is a goddamn masterpiece. I love that it's actually, indisputably terrifying in parts. It also does a handy job of mixing the subtleties of classic '50s horror gems with the grotesque prosthetic flashiness of the best '80s gross-outs. The ultimate effect is chilling and fucking brilliant.

The Thing would be on my top 10 horror films of all time list if I ever made one. Guaranteed. Possibly even better than the original Alien.
Old 11.06.2016, 09:59 AM   #19830
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
The Thing was a fun movie, but Alien was a piece of art and very revolutionary for its time.
Old 11.06.2016, 11:51 AM   #19831
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i haven't seen "the thing" (i think) but ALIEN was indeed epoch-making

proletarians in outer space! and riddley scott's breakout movie if i'm not mistaken. an h.r. giger monster after a female hero with more huevos than han solo. fuck!

----

last night watched IT FOLLOWS

i thought it was great! i haven't seen a scary movie about sex since FATAL ATTRACTION. long overdue. this one is probably about HPV or something (it walks slowly...).

now when i say great it's because it looked awesome and was creepy and scary and it was made in detroit which was a great setting for it.

on the weak side it looked a bit like a genre movie-- the genre being "young adult". teenagers go around doing whatever, no parents or adults around, a bit like charlie brown, but you do see a couple of parent's faces briefly. so it felt a little artificial that way, the kids dealing with megaproblems without asking for help and being stupid.

but okay, who cares, let's chalk it to whatever, it was great, and it's pretty new and it's out on bluray.

Old 11.06.2016, 01:04 PM   #19832
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
i haven't seen "the thing" (i think) but ALIEN was indeed epoch-making

proletarians in outer space! and riddley scott's breakout movie if i'm not mistaken. an h.r. giger monster after a female hero with more huevos than han solo. fuck!

----

last night watched IT FOLLOWS

i thought it was great! i haven't seen a scary movie about sex since FATAL ATTRACTION. long overdue. this one is probably about HPV or something (it walks slowly...).

now when i say great it's because it looked awesome and was creepy and scary and it was made in detroit which was a great setting for it.

on the weak side it looked a bit like a genre movie-- the genre being "young adult". teenagers go around doing whatever, no parents or adults around, a bit like charlie brown, but you do see a couple of parent's faces briefly. so it felt a little artificial that way, the kids dealing with megaproblems without asking for help and being stupid.

but okay, who cares, let's chalk it to whatever, it was great, and it's pretty new and it's out on bluray.

I agree. It was really good. Saw it about a year ago and it made an impression.

Re: Alien, you're right of course. Epoch-making. Classic suspense and horror qualities that actually WORKED in a space/sci-fi setting (unlike, say, Event Horizon). Maybe it was wrong of me to even suggest that The Thing was better. Maybe I just should have said I think The Thing is on a similar level of greatness. Plus, it was muddied by a series of sequels of varying quality.

I actually really liked Prometheus. Looking forward to the sequel to that.

Why did Scott have to hand over ALIENS to Cameron? I know a lot of folks think it's better than the original, but it's not. Cameron < Scott.
Old 11.07.2016, 09:46 AM   #19833
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Why did Scott have to hand over ALIENS to Cameron? I know a lot of folks think it's better than the original, but it's not. Cameron < Scott.

EXACTLY. and i don't know why. but wasn't it dan o'bannon thing? oh, imdb says no-- it was his "characters". i don't know who owned what. cameron is a great plagiarist.

====

yesterday i finally watched THE CABIN IN THE WOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO FUCKING BRILLIANT.

Spooky and horrifying at times sure, but mainly I laughed so hard-- especially at the end ha ha ha ha.

LOVED seeing Buffy/Angel's mythology taken a step further, plus all the echoes of themes in those shows (The Initiative, for one, Wolfram & Hart on the other, even some Dollhouse). I mean--classic Whedon. But on steroids.

It's so good I want to see it again right away, but I'm going to wait because I want to get more of its references--Hellraiser appeared to be one of them but I haven't seen that. Luckily luckily luckily I had just seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre or I would have missed the whole gas station thing. The Evil Dead was clearly all over this #1. My wife picked up on Children of the Corn (the phone speeches). Shit is brilliant. Brilliant. Greatest movie enjoyment of the season. A blast.
Old 11.07.2016, 10:41 AM   #19834
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yesterday i finally watched THE CABIN IN THE WOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO FUCKING BRILLIANT.

Spooky and horrifying at times sure, but mainly I laughed so hard-- especially at the end ha ha ha ha.

LOVED seeing Buffy/Angel's mythology taken a step further, plus all the echoes of themes in those shows (The Initiative, for one, Wolfram & Hart on the other, even some Dollhouse). I mean--classic Whedon. But on steroids.

It's so good I want to see it again right away, but I'm going to wait because I want to get more of its references--Hellraiser appeared to be one of them but I haven't seen that. Luckily luckily luckily I had just seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre or I would have missed the whole gas station thing. The Evil Dead was clearly all over this #1. My wife picked up on Children of the Corn (the phone speeches). Shit is brilliant. Brilliant. Greatest movie enjoyment of the season. A blast.

Ok you're in for a really weirdo treat with Hellraiser. Watch the second one too. But for the love of god stop there. PROMISE ME YOU'LL STOP THERE!!!
Old 11.07.2016, 11:02 AM   #19835
ilduclo
invito al cielo

watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople last night. Pretty OK, formulaic, though. Expected a little more from Taika Waititi. but I suppose it has the source story to blame for the shortcomings and it probably also will gather a lot of cash. Funny in a "family movie" sort of way
Old 11.07.2016, 11:05 AM   #19836
Severian
invito al cielo

I am SO glad you liked Cabin in the Woods. Totally unsurprised, since you have excellent taste in these things and you like Whedon, and Cabin is pretty much the most Whedon thing ever Whedoned... but still super glad.

I didn't know what I was getting when I first watched it. Thought it was just going to be another Evil Dead rip a la Cabin Fever, and so on. I guess at the time I didn't fully understand Joss Whedon, what makes him Joss Whedon. I thought Firefly was just an accidentally excellent Star Wars rip, and I'd never seen any Buffy or Angel (still haven't).

It was Cabin that made me aware of Whedon's brilliance and champion of the comedy-cum-epic. Rewatching Firefly after seeing Cabin, I realized just how good it was, and the Serenity movie helped a lot with that too. He's done a good job at Marvel, but his true talents shine when he's working with original characters and riffing on American pop culture sensibilities.

I still haven't seen much Buffy or Angel. Seems like those would be guaranteed to suck, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11.07.2016, 11:17 AM   #19837
Severian
invito al cielo

I have been sick for a couple weeks, first with a cold, then with a sinus and ear infection. Stacked up a few sick days during this time, but surprisingly I haven't watched any movies. Just drilled a bunch of the new Supergirl show into my skull. God it's fucking terrible. But I'm a true sucker for all things Kryptonian (remember when I championed Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice?) and I now realize that this suckerdome presents me with a fatal flaw regarding my tv and film sensibilities. I will watch ANYTHING where there's a promise of seeing an "S" inside a pentagon.

Man though... it has some ok moments (or, rather, moments where watching it doesn't actually HURT my artistic and intellectual sensibilities) but man oh man is it a stinkeroo. The main chick can't act for beans but she is cute (in a vaguely middle eastern say if you disregard the hair and focus on the nose and eyes). Looks a bit like an ex of mine at moments. But the whole thing is really quite awful and it's a problem I have that I need to take responsibility for ASAP.
Old 11.07.2016, 11:19 AM   #19838
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
fuck Angel.

Buffy was GREAT around seasons 2-6 or so. Then it got degraded......
Old 11.07.2016, 11:42 AM   #19839
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I still haven't seen much Buffy or Angel. Seems like those would be guaranteed to suck, but maybe I'm wrong.

what the... what the... are you....? what the...

LISTEN, MAN

you're missing out in a very big way.

back around, i think... 2000, or so, i was in one of those post-napster download apps and got into a little discussion with an internet stranger

"buffy the vampire slayer" i said. "sounds like a bunch of teeny bopper shit." or something like that, you get the idea. well, the prequel movie had been an utter mess, so... yeah.

since we were on a file swapping thing, she sent me buffy season 4 episode 10, "Hush"

THAT SHUT ME THE FUCK UP FOR GOOD.

it should have the same effect on you. or trust me, get season 1 episode 1, and get addicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
fuck Angel.

Buffy was GREAT around seasons 2-6 or so. Then it got degraded......

yeah season 7 wasn't the greatest one ever, but it had one of the best villains in caleb. holy fucking shit, that was a spooky fucker. anyway i'll say no more lest we spoil severian's fun-to-be.

and i liked angel. it was hilarious. i'm not going to pepper this with hilarious quotes because again it would be a massive spoiler giveaway, but yeah, i liked that show a lot. now-- there were subplots and characters i hated for sure (*cough* connor *cough*), but overall i enjoyed it tons. actually i'm thinking about rewatching it from the start again, now that i'm talking about it. i miss those "people".

anyway, while buffy was about the travails of teenagehood, angel was about the perils of adulthood, about the challenges of running a business, about fighthing wars you can't win, and making compromises... it was a great show in that regard. plus... no no no i don't wanna spoil it for severian.
Old 11.07.2016, 11:59 AM   #19840
Severian
invito al cielo

Ok you got me I'll watch that Hush episode. Promise.

I actually liked the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I mean, it was obviously terrible. But I think that was kind of the point. When it came out I was all over that shit. Thought it was fun as hell.

Then again, I also watched Clueless at least once a year for a good decade.
892942982989990991 992 993994995100210421092 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth