Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Who's yr favorite SY drummer?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who's yr favorite SY drummer?
Richard Edson 0 0%
Jim Sclavunos 3 4.23%
Bob Bert 4 5.63%
Steve Shelley 64 90.14%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09.25.2006, 03:16 PM   #21
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
double s beat attack of course..
why...
mid bit of chapel hill for one.
Old 09.25.2006, 04:36 PM   #22
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Skinmaster Steve Shelley is the best drummer in the world and has been for many, many years.

Who are the contrarian miscreants in the minority voting otherwise?

I could venture a guess who, but I'll refrain from doing so.

Firstly, Steve can play their parts better than they ever could.
Secondly, and more importantly, Steve could come up with those types of "tribalesque" primitive parts in his sleep.

Some people just don't know jack shit about music.

steve has played amazing drums on all the albums since he joined. hes versatile and just a fucking wicked drummer.
but i totaly disagree that he can play the other drummers parts as good as them.
no way.
ive heard many songs from the first few records played live that have lacked the drumming that really made em kick back then.

im voting for sclavunos as confusion and kill your idols are my faves. and the drumming is a huge part of why they are my faves.

i couldnt seriously pick between the two. steve should have played on the albums he played on and jim should have played on the songs he played on. steve is a better drummer....... but i dont like any one album of his drumming as much as i do confusion and kill yr idols.
ahhhhhhh, this is stupid anyway. im tired.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 04:51 PM   #23
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
scrap that.
this is a daft thread.
steve wouldnt have been much good on confusion in my eyes. but he is the best drummer of the lot.
Old 09.25.2006, 04:59 PM   #24
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
My next question is this: If Steve were to leave the band at this point, would they still be Sonic Youth? Even though he isn't part of the original lineup, I'm pretty sure that when most people think of SY they picture Thurston, Kim, Lee and Steve. Would the band still be SY without any one of these four integral elements?
Whether SY would still be SY without Steve depends on who replaced him. If Chris Corsano replaced him, and could be persuaded to cut back on the tricks, then SY could still be SY. It would just be a slightly different SY.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 07:12 PM   #25
wax
the destroyed room

corsano as sy's drummer would be amazing, but i dont see why his name popped up as a drummer who could replace steve.
theyre both so sos soososooosssooo different.

i prefer corsano. he can send me flying across a room and through a window with his drumming.
Old 09.25.2006, 07:43 PM   #26
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
in my opinion, Steve's best drumming occured up until daydream nation and from there its still very good but he tends to favor the "ride" and cymbals more than i'd prefer, maybe thats why i love the way Bob Bert wails on the kit (ie the Gila Monster Jamboree vid) w/ the quite minimal setup and almost a non-cymbal attack (i find "rock" drummers who go cymbal crazy annoying as fuck) which i prefer and makes perfect use of it, Steve did some similarly amazing primitive stuff on EVOL and then really started to go for a more complicated and bigger sound from there... i was watching the vid from Stache's (1985) which is steve's 1st out of town show with the band, and he's drilling and pounding the hell out of that kit, something i haven't really seen him do in over 10 or 15 years... but i'm not complaining.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 08:04 PM   #27
wax
the destroyed room

he was a big sy fan when he joined, so i always assumed he was trying to keep it similar to the prevous drummers to a certian extent for the first few albums. i think when he felt comfertable he started playing more in his own style, which i dont think involves too much tom smacking.
thats always been my thoughts anyway.

am i the only one the thinks bob bert is shite on the gila monster vid?
he really seems to hold sy back on there. i kinda understood why they got rid of him after i saw that.
Old 09.26.2006, 03:13 AM   #28
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
corsano as sy's drummer would be amazing, but i dont see why his name popped up as a drummer who could replace steve.
theyre both so sos soososooosssooo different.

i prefer corsano. he can send me flying across a room and through a window with his drumming.
I just named Corsano as a drummer who would take SY to different places. I don't think that a drummer to literally replace Steve, and just play his parts in exactly the way he would have, would be of any benefit whatsoever to the band.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2006, 10:08 AM   #29
duosonic
empty page

duosonic has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
It is a pointless poll, but who cares? Shelley is the man.
duosonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2006, 02:15 AM   #30
habibtheantiamericanbitch
bad moon rising

habibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard sucka
well, each drummer had their own style. Shelley is a more technically competent drummer, but not so 'by-the-book' that he can't dive in and hold his own thru a noise jam and 'no-wave' it with the best of them. Bert was more 'in tune' with who SY were in the early days. his drumming was more primitive, loud and Mo Tucker-esque. I liked the minimal use of cymbals, snare and basic 4/4......Edson's work was just dancey, clean and cool. didn't really fully fit the sound/genre, but still made it sound wonderful. i'd still have him on the EP if i had my choice. maybe because i'm used to it....i dunno.
habibtheantiamericanbitch is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth