Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 10/24/92 and 11/23/92 bootlegs contain same songs?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.12.2009, 05:02 AM   #1
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
howdy folks...

i was just listening to 11/23/92 milan (released as the 'schizophrenia' bootleg) and noticed something lee said right before JC sounded familiar, from a show i'd just heard. sure enough, the versions of "JC" on both 10/24/92 nyc ("100% a kool thing" bootleg) and 11/23/92 milan ("schizophrenia") are identical - begins with lee saying "that was the obligatory pause and costume change" followed by THE MOST FUCKED UP HORRIBLE VERSION OF "JC" EVER.

see, that's what i don't get --- if i had to guess, i'd say "JC" is actually from the 10/24/92 nyc show, because the "100% a kool thing" bootleg is known to be missing 'expressway' between JC and nic fit/noII. (btw the beginning and end of no pt II from nyc are tracks 1 and 2 on tv shit). on 'schizophrenia', JC is immediately followed by 'expressway', which has a long noise outro w/ thurston doing his usual freestyle distorted mic tripout that leads into 'nic fit' etc when eyebore would come out, at least on the oct '92 tour. now, 'expressway' fades at the end of the 'schizophrenia' bootleg, so theoretically it could lead into the 'nic fit' and 'no II' track that closes the '100% a kool thing' bootleg. this would leave the milan encore unsurfaced..?

to summarize, i believe:

- JC is the exact same version on circulating recordings (sourced from silver bootlegs released in the 90s) of 10/24/92 and 11/23/92

- this version of JC is probably from 10/24/92, which would mean so is 'expressway' (aka the last 2 tracks of the 'schizophrenia' bootleg)

- the actual milan encore is unknown ?

do non-bootleg sources of these 2 shows circulate?

fun!

edit--oh yeh, i never got around to what i didn't get.. see, this is what i don't get -- if you're, say, a bootlegger wishing to release the milan show but it has a HORRIBLE version of JC and you think you'd rather include a good version from another show, i could possibly understand that. maybe. or if you didn't have the encore for the show you were releasing, maybe swipe one from a competitor's disc. alright. but to deliberately include such a disastrous version of a song from another show? i don't get it. BUT, considering their source had 'expressway' which was not on the bootleg, i suppose the question is where did they get it, and why did they add it onto the milan boot...?
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
edit--oh yeh, i never got around to what i didn't get.. see, this is what i don't get -- if you're, say, a bootlegger wishing to release the milan show but it has a HORRIBLE version of JC and you think you'd rather include a good version from another show, i could possibly understand that. maybe. or if you didn't have the encore for the show you were releasing, maybe swipe one from a competitor's disc. alright. but to deliberately include such a disastrous version of a song from another show? i don't get it. BUT, considering their source had 'expressway' which was not on the bootleg, i suppose the question is where did they get it, and why did they add it onto the milan boot...?

Well if you'd ever seen that episode of What's Happening where the bootleggers get Rerun to sneak a tape deck into the free Doobie Brother's show at their high school alll would be clear...

O.k., maybe not, but how about the bootlegger got hold of a recording that he put out which featured a mix of two concerts somebody made, but wasn't labeled as such? Somebody taping for their own use and then trading isn't necessarily a deft archivist.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 08:12 AM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I have both of those CD's. I hadn't noticed the overlapping. There's a lot of that. Schizophrenia = Got Goo? as well. I've picked up clones a few times unknowingly. Blah
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
well fuck y'all.

except you two.

would it help if i posted direct links to download each show?

http://sonicyouth.utkonos.org/lossle...bootcd.flac16/

http://sonicyouth.utkonos.org/lossle...24.aud.flac16/
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02.26.2009, 04:52 PM   #5
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I always avoided CD bootlegs like the plague. For this very reason, nevermind the ridiculous prices back in the 90's.

I don't have either show, they were definitely in Italy in Nov 92, but have you ever confirmed the Oct NYC date that it even happened and the bootlegger maybe pulled the date out of his ass (as all bootleggers are male).
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2009, 05:04 PM   #6
ingram
children of satan

ingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's assesingram kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
(as all bootleggers are male).

not right

ingram is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2009, 07:00 PM   #7
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingram
not right

prove it, assbutt.
Old 04.24.2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Chris Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

i guess not!!
Old 04.01.2010, 12:48 AM   #9
Chris Lawrence

bump....not for fun, but out of some kind of masochistic curiousity if anybody else is intrigued by this. although i guess i already closed the case.

'fascism'/'white x' seem to be the proper encore for the milan show and the bootleggers just added the two songs from nyc for a 2nd encore. maybe it was some kind of value judgment for the consumer. bootleggers, always looking out for the consumer.
Old 04.01.2010, 03:56 PM   #10
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
prove it, assbutt.

well, one of my friends is female, she actually taping the shows as well as collecting and trading. the video from Prague '07 I shared on Dime was taped by her!

http://www.bootlegs.zde.cz/

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth