Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Roundhouse - Friday
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.01.2007, 06:54 AM   #1
The Usher
stalker

The Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen SY about 5 times, this gig was pretty good, but not the best I've seen them.

I wasn't 100% convinced the band were that into playing DDN, and they definately seemed to enjoy playing the encore songs more. This part of the set sounded amazing.

The venues a bit of a strange one, the sound wasn't that great unless you were standing in the centre, and the sound seemed to improve about halfway through.

Lee was totally amazing, he's just so good live.

So to conclude, I'm really happy that I got to see them play DDN, I just hope they tour RR as these songs sound so good live.

The Usher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Spiritual Amnesia
children of satan

Spiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's assesSpiritual Amnesia kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.lastfm.de/event/149679

encore :

incinerate
jams run free
rapture
turquoise boy
pink steam
-
schizophrenia
Spiritual Amnesia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
were there any cameras filming the shows?
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 09:35 AM   #4
JohnEsmoke
little trouble girl

JohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's asses
I also saw them a couple of time and this one was really great ! I was just in front of Thurston and he was totally in from the first song to the last... I have already saw "Teenage riot" almost 5 times and this one was the best !!
'cross the breeze was totally terrific and the trilogy too... the enter of "hyperstation" was magic. I also like how they transform songs like "total trash" or "Rain King".
But, I agree that they seem to enjoy more playing the encore tracks, especially for Kim.

A question for the sonicologist :
In "the wonder" it seems to me that it lacks a part of the lyrics (I think I've been there once before etc...) am I wrong ? (it's also missing on the live version of the deluxe edition)
JohnEsmoke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 09:47 AM   #5
maggot brain
little trouble girl

maggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEsmoke

A question for the sonicologist :
In "the wonder" it seems to me that it lacks a part of the lyrics (I think I've been there once before etc...) am I wrong ? (it's also missing on the live version of the deluxe edition)

yeah thurston missed out that bit last night, i dunno why... the music was the same though

maggot brain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 09:55 AM   #6
making the drama scene
bad moon rising

making the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's asses
he did not sing this part in vienna on 08/26/07 either
and two days ago i listened to the vienna bootleg from 89 and this part (lyrical...musical it was) was not there either.....so maybe he does not sing it live.ever
making the drama scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 10:07 AM   #7
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
The start was amazing but i think there was a bit of a lull from The Sprawl through Cross the Breeze, but then from Erics Trip to the end was really good.

Definitlely agree about Kim not seeming as into it as Lee and Thurston were, but the encore was really good, especially Jams Run Free, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Think they could have stuck Schizophrenia in the middle of the Rather Ripped songs and finished on Pink Steam rather than coming out again, Schizophrenia wasnt played with much gusto (possibly due to the fact theyd already played for an hour and a half).
Overall though, delighted i went. Best songs were Teenage Riot, Erics Trip, Hey Joni, Total trash and Trilogy, then Jams Run Free. This was my first gig so i hope i get to see them do a "normal" show soon.

Oh yeah, and ive never really appreciated how good Steve Shelley is, how he kept that pace up ill never know (how old is he????!?!?)
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 10:27 AM   #8
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
For me the stars of the show were Silver Rocket, 'Cross The Breeze, Trilogy, (Especially Eliminator Jr... go Kim go!) and Pink Steam (Just amazingly fluid and exploratory).

It was really strange seeing them play DDN from beginning to end... but I really enjoyed hearing the songs that they haven't played since the DDN tour...

E L I M I N A T O R.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 10:29 AM   #9
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Good question.
Am I wrong or those three London show were supposed to be "officially" recorded for a dvd or something??
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 11:15 AM   #10
The Usher
stalker

The Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't see any cameras...

Have to agree, Trilogy and Pink Steam were definitely highlights.

The Usher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 01:27 PM   #11
Dreamweapon
empty page

Dreamweapon has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
2nd time ive seen Sonic Youth and i thought it was equally as good as the first time. I thought the sound quality for the encore was alot better and they had two bass players! Was great to see Mark Ibold too! My highlight was Teenage Riot, Silver Rocket and the whole encore. I saw most of the support band too and they sounded great. Brilliant venue to play at and now i can die with a smile on my face as its such a legendary place that ive wanted to go to for years. Anyone stay in St Christophers Inn then? I couldnt believe it turned into a chav bar at night! Only place that was knocking out BAD tunes in all of Camden as far as i noticed.
Dreamweapon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 01:33 PM   #12
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Oh yeah, and ive never really appreciated how good Steve Shelley is, how he kept that pace up ill never know (how old is he????!?!?)

i was never that impressed with steve's drumming until i saw him live. that guy is fucking insane, man. he goes ALL OUT up until the very last note of the night. it's like you look at him and wonder where the hell all of that energy comes from?
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 02:33 PM   #13
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

I filmed 'Turquoise Boy' on my digital camera- the footage looks real good but the sound is terrible. Hopefully if a bootleg surfaces I can set the bootleg audio to my video.

Apart from that I saw no cameras.

It was sweet to hang out with screamingskull, h8kurdt (sp?), jon boy and racehorse, too. Boardie love!
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 03:50 PM   #14
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
I was there Thursday and Friday and I have to say, i thought Friday's gig was much better. I was upstairs the first night and down the front for the second, so that might have something to do with it, but the band just seemed much more into it on Friday.
Having said that, both sets were incredible. Great to hear Mote and Schizophrenia too - I wasn't expecting those!
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 04:06 PM   #15
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
One thing I thought the encore demonstrated well, on both nights, was how strong the songs from Rather Ripped are. They stood up really well, even after hearing Daydream played in its entirety.
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 05:16 PM   #16
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
no offfence but why did you film the worst song of the night!

I was too excited to even consider taking out my camera during the daydream set..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S0tnWUxy0Mc

Here's some noise I recorded.
Old 09.01.2007, 07:21 PM   #17
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Oh yeah.. its a bit of hyperstation. I had to take out the camera because Lee's silhouette on the P.A. looked so badass..
Old 09.01.2007, 07:46 PM   #18
maggot brain
little trouble girl

maggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to behold
i found a video from the show on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=30Xd9oZQWiM

it's got bits from a few of the daydream songs. not too bad quality either

maggot brain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2007, 05:26 AM   #19
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I was too excited to even consider taking out my camera during the daydream set..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S0tnWUxy0Mc

Here's some noise I recorded.

what camera did you use? It's kinda nnoying how the sound goes off while zooming ...but it looks good.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2007, 05:47 AM   #20
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
wow. truly amazing. hey joni, trilogy, just awesome all of it, and to top it off yesterday we were sat in soho doing the hair of the dog when Lee walked past and my brother and I squeeled like little girls LEEEEE! and then blurted all kinds of " amazing show " stuff which he was very gracious about and agreed that it had been a great show and then his whole group came into the same restaurant where we were and had dinner!!! we duly spent the rest of our bottle of wine trying to think of what to say to him/debating if it would be incredibly rude to say anything to him whilst he's having dinner with his friends etc, etc, all the while trying not to squeeel like girls again or do anything too weird ( i'm still very nervous of any interaction with people i admire that much after the wayne coyne incident ). In the end we just gawked as subtly as we could, debated if it would be completely stupid to send over a shot and then they left. then my brother remembered he still had his ticket on him and so we then payed up double quick, ran out of the restaurant in the direction he'd gone, split up so as to cover ground better and spent twenty minutes running around soho looking for him....like a couple of twats. We suspect he made a run for it as soon as he got out of our line of sight. very exciting, kind of a missed opportunity but then again my dignity remains intact and lee didn't get completely creeped out by me sobbing at him about how amazing he is and how much i love his songs. result!
amazing weekend and i get to feel that in some small way my decision not to talk further with him may have contributed to the great show they did that night. thank me later it was nothing.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth