Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page "Compact Disc Rot" found on older cds (early 90's...)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.18.2008, 03:14 PM   #1
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
The worst thing that can happen to CDs is the "disc rot" problem. I have a couple of CDs that have this (a Current 93 live at Maldorer cd and an original pressing on the label Shock of the Moore/Sauter/Deitrich Barefoot in the Head cd, not refering to the Forced Exposure reissue), I have learned that a lot of CDs that were manufactured by the English pressing plant "PDO" in the early 90's (and some others) can have this "disc rot".

First, the edges on the label side change to a bronze color. Then, the "bronzing" grows towards the inside. Slowly, the tracks begin to skip, starting with the last one. Eventually, the disc will end up "dead"... luckily only the Current 93 disc has the skipping and isn't dead yet, and the Moore/Sauter/Deitrich still plays fine...

Has anyone else experienced this? I hope not too many of you encountered this problem...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
This was known very early on.

I remember reading about it in the early 1990s. You can hold up old CDs to the light and see small holes which begin to appear as the surface of the CD disintegrates. I had unplayable CDs by the mid-90s that I'd bought only a couple of years earlier.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i didn't know people cared about original pressings with CDs
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I would avoid original pressings of older CDs if anything. The sound quality was generally abysmal anyway.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 03:20 PM   #5
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
this happened to me on a Muddy Waters CD.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
if i actually had any CDs i would go check them.
Old 06.18.2008, 03:25 PM   #7
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i didn't know people cared about original pressings with CDs

I only care not because they could be or are necessarily "collectable" but more so that they can potentially be unplayable. I bought the Moore/Suater/Deitrich cd at least 10 years ago used in a used record shop and when i bought it their was no bronzing. i've only noticed the bronzing taking effect in the last 9 or so months.
The Current 93 disc i also purchased used but much more recently and it already had the bronzed look and was played with that "staticy glitchy thing" going on a couple of tracks... unfortunately when it comes to buying used cds that could have been pressed in this time frame, you don't know until you play or look at the disc that you could have one that is "ROTTED".
Old 06.18.2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
ahahahaha collectable. yeah right. the most disposable format on the face of the earth.
Old 06.18.2008, 03:33 PM   #9
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
I've been acquiring cd's since 1987 and have some that came out in '83 (pretty much the first year of availabilty) and have NONE to ROT. I take extreme care of them...no heat above room temperature, no direct sunlight and I handle them very carefully. I only carry enough with me in my car that I can take them IN wherever I go so they don't stay out in the cooking car. I just hope the older ones I have don't start in on that ROT and someday I'll put them all on external HD's as flacs or NO compression, certainly NOT mp3's. Those cd binder/albums are shit too, they will stick to the cd's..the label side, where the info in JUST under the printing and fuck them up that way. I've seen that happen. I shoulda just stuck with vinyl over 20 years ago when I made my transition, but oh well.
reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 03:33 PM   #10
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
ahahahaha collectable. yeah right. the most disposable format on the face of the earth.

Not disputing that but there are a few cds that go for more $$$ than alot of rare vinyl. but this is the weird phenomen that exists with the world of eBay and those who relate to it.

And i didn't start this thread to necessarily engage in a feud about the fundamentals of vinyl vs compact disc vs electronic files... as both vinyl and the cd format has had its pressing flaws. my point is about the early 90's era of defective cd pressings.
Old 06.18.2008, 03:35 PM   #11
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginald
I've been acquiring cd's since 1987 and have some that came out in '83 (pretty much the first year of availabilty) and have NONE to ROT. I take extreme care of them...no heat above room temperature, no direct sunlight and I handle them very carefully. I only carry enough with me in my car that I can take them IN wherever I go so they don't stay out in the cooking car. I just hope the older ones I have don't start in on that ROT and someday I'll put them all on external HD's as flacs or NO compression, certainly NOT mp3's. Those cd binder/albums are shit too, they will stick to the cd's..the label side, where the info in JUST under the printing and fuck them up that way. I've seen that happen. I shoulda just stuck with vinyl over 20 years ago when I made my transition, but oh well.

Only cds pressed in the early 90's from the English Pressing Plant "PDO" have this problem, if you look at the inner ring of the cd if it notates "PDO" the potential is there for disc rot.
Old 06.18.2008, 03:37 PM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
older CD's and early CD-r's are also experienceing this problem

it is an oxidation of th inner metal that holds the encoded data

eventually ALL CD's will degrade as such, just by virtue of plastic darkening and stiffening and shrinking through time.
Old 06.18.2008, 03:42 PM   #13
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
This was known very early on.

I remember reading about it in the early 1990s. You can hold up old CDs to the light and see small holes which begin to appear as the surface of the CD disintegrates. I had unplayable CDs by the mid-90s that I'd bought only a couple of years earlier.

this is a little different than what i'm talking about when i hold these "bronzed" cds in light there isn't really any holes to see-through. but yeah i remember reading about this too.
Old 06.18.2008, 03:45 PM   #14
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
older CD's and early CD-r's are also experienceing this problem

it is an oxidation of th inner metal that holds the encoded data

eventually ALL CD's will degrade as such, just by virtue of plastic darkening and stiffening and shrinking through time.

i had an older sonic youth bootleg pressed on a cd-r and it played normal for a year and then started to have a staticy skip starting on the later tracks and working towards the early ones. there weren't any scratches and the disc wasn't exposed to excessive heat or moisture, i assumed it was burned to a defective cd-r that had oxidized.
Old 06.18.2008, 03:53 PM   #15
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
"Thanks" to PDO, there's hardly a decent copy of Skullflower's "Xaman" left on CD. Thank the Lord I bought a vinyl copy all those years ago.
Old 06.18.2008, 03:58 PM   #16
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
New Order. Power , Corruption ( sic ) , lies .
and Movement as well.

I thought it affect only the top side , with no music.
But , yeah , it seems to grow on both sides.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 04:03 PM   #17
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, CD-Rs are shit, stuff i bought only a few years ago just doesn't play at all
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 04:12 PM   #18
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
none of the disks I have from the early 90's have any notable flaws. few of them have been treated like shit, which can be heard as minor skipping.

I once read that cds have a theoretical lifespan of few hundred years, but I wouldn't count on it. we'll see in a couple of decades, if the worst case scenario is true.

I've been thinking about opting for vinyl always when it is possible from now on.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 04:49 PM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I've got maybe two fucked LPs, and I buy some right tatty second-hand guff. You clean them, they'll turn out alright.

I don't take the best of care of my CDs, and I've got a few that are unplayable. Such an infuriating format. Luckily, there's very little I have on CD that's irreplacable that I would replace if it remained entirely fucked.

This CD rot affected a load of Durtro artists, no? I seem to remember reading about Whitehouse or possibly Coil bemoaning such pressings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 04:59 PM   #20
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
had that happen to me with cd-rs, i bought volume 5 direct from bardo pond at their website and it arrived unplayable.

i know i'll have to tranfer tons of cd-r material (bootlegs) to dvd-r data or other cd-rs at some point soon.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth