Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Damn Fever To Tell is a great record !
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.22.2010, 08:43 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to the album entirely today and am completely knocked back. I always thought they were another generic garage band besides that "maps" song which was the only song I enjoyed before. After hearing it though I notice these experimental leanings in their sound but with the thrash of punk to them. They put back the manicness missing from a lot of "art rock", I can even feel a little sonic youth in it.

so is this as good as it gets or are the other albums better?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2010, 08:52 PM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
It's as good as it gets.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2010, 08:58 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think they just got worse with each release, their first little EP being their best; a nice, quick blast...

I just can't get past Karen's voice, and the overall simplicity of all the songs. I think the guitarist is interesting, in that he's not afraid to play really, really simple, catchy things most of the time (with some really cool tones), but at other times, he piles on quite a few layers of interesting guitar textures. He's actually quite enjoyable, in the way he melds catchy simple riffs with some "artsiness" (for lack of a better word), channeling Pink Flag at times (deceptively simple but there's more going on underneath the surface). You just don't hear many mainstream bands have such an interesting little guitarist. It's punky without playing nothing but generic power chords. I dig that aspect of the band... I just think some of the songs are extremely annoying; and even the good songs have a part or two that is really annoying. Sad Karen is the "star" of the band, she's got some cool outfits, don't really see the appeal besides that. Anyway, probably a good song or two on there.

I do enjoy The Seconds, the drummer's band.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2010, 09:01 PM   #4
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I never felt like listening to anything after their second release with Gold LIon or whatev.s
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2010, 09:02 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Couple good songs. That's about it.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2010, 09:07 PM   #6
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoy most of the stuff they put out. Their latest album has a few weak tracks, but I love Soft Shock, Skeletons, and Hysteric. I think their strongest record is actually Show Your Bones. Way Out, The Sweets, and Warrior are standouts for me.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 12:41 AM   #7
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
No No No and Y Control are the only good tracks on there IMO. Yes, it's as good as it gets, and even then, it isn't really that good.
Old 04.23.2010, 12:55 AM   #8
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
welcome to 2003.

this is the year 2010.

but yeah, Nick Zinner was a hero of mine back in 03.... he's a pretty cool dude and he does interesting stuff... as others said, its a shame that Karen O has all the sway in that band. Nick did a side project called 'Head Wound City' with some of the dudes from blood brothers... far as i know they only released a 7-minute EP, which had like 8 songs on it... good thrash punk, far as i could tell.
not sure what he's done in the past 4-5 years

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 01:16 AM   #9
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
first EP is probably the best all the way through.

i still like a lot of their stuff, songs here and there. i haven't listened to fever to tell for ages...
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 02:04 AM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Ugh. Head Wound City was terrible. Like, two cool guitar lines, the rest of the album was pure trash. I think The Blood Brothers, in general, and everything related to them, was just AWFUL. Adultery is Ripe had a few weird glam post-hardcore songs at least that were listenable, but oh my god.. those dude's VOICES, UGH.

Old 04.23.2010, 03:44 AM   #11
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
haha yeah. i don't like blood brothers. but for 7 minutes i can stand the voices.

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 08:37 AM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I got it for my girlfriend a couple of years back.

she likes it

I put up with it
Old 04.23.2010, 09:02 AM   #13
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I like it album. Probably not great in my opinion but definitely a good album. I like their second one better though - Fancy is a fantastic song. I disliked their last one ...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2010, 10:16 PM   #14
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
There are some cool guitar tones and some decent guitar/drum mingling but godDAMN that Karen O is impossible to put up with.

Oh, and the fans...has anyone sat through that DVD of theirs?
Old 04.25.2010, 11:52 PM   #15
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think they just got worse with each release, their first little EP being their best; a nice, quick blast...

I just can't get past Karen's voice, and the overall simplicity of all the songs. I think the guitarist is interesting, in that he's not afraid to play really, really simple, catchy things most of the time (with some really cool tones), but at other times, he piles on quite a few layers of interesting guitar textures. He's actually quite enjoyable, in the way he melds catchy simple riffs with some "artsiness" (for lack of a better word), channeling Pink Flag at times (deceptively simple but there's more going on underneath the surface). You just don't hear many mainstream bands have such an interesting little guitarist. It's punky without playing nothing but generic power chords. I dig that aspect of the band... I just think some of the songs are extremely annoying; and even the good songs have a part or two that is really annoying. Sad Karen is the "star" of the band, she's got some cool outfits, don't really see the appeal besides that. Anyway, probably a good song or two on there.

I do enjoy The Seconds, the drummer's band.

You are the gayest person in the universe.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2010, 02:28 AM   #16
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i like the last album alot too

and the drummer's just as good/interesting as the guitarist (who is very good)
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2010, 06:52 AM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic
You are the gayest person in the universe.

So?

Old 04.26.2010, 07:17 AM   #18
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
I totally agree fever to tell is one of my favourite albums and one of the few guitar albums which are flawless in my opinion, at least around that time. the only song which kinda annoys me sometimes is pin, but even that one is kinda good.
I agree with asp about them being in a downward spiral since their debut.
I think they are a band who will do their best if they do it fast. since their second album they overdid it. and it wasnt becoming better that way, it lost the energy.
fever tot tell ftw
saw them 3 times in a timewindow about 3/4 year. one time before fever to tell and two times in the name of that album. they played in the smallest venues in germany and I was damn sure to be in that book which features all those camera shots nick did from the audience at the concert....but every time the picture ends where I begin. that sucks! (just wanted to say that) and the 4th time I saw them was around their release of the second album. still a good gig but in comparison to the first 3 (especially the first two) times it was shit

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth