Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page D'Angelo's Voodoo is my favorite album of all time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.28.2009, 07:43 AM   #41
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
Voodoo is an amazing album, one of my faves.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2009, 07:55 AM   #42
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
nothing came to be called R&B, that term is older than rock&roll and older than the term soul. R&B is a mix of all the african american genres at the time. gospel,blues and jazz. Rock 'n Roll is the same thing with the addition of bluegrass/country, soul is the same thing with a different name because kids didn't want to admit they listen to the same genre as their parents.
The term R&B was a replacement for "race music" which came to be considered an offensive term for black styles, and was applied to all black genres including rock and roll

don't take it from me, chuck berry is much more of an authority

I got a rockin' pneumonia
I need a shot of rhythm and blues

I think what Rob meant was that the music that came to be known as R&B is not what R&B was in the beginning.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2009, 08:44 AM   #43
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
You could say that about almost any kind of music though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2009, 10:20 AM   #44
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am talking about the R&B genre that sprang up in the 70's and 780's. slow jams.

not the old rhythm and blues dance music that chuck berry talked about

I hate the slow jams
Old 06.01.2009, 08:47 PM   #45
less_cunning
empty page

less_cunning kicks all y'all's assesless_cunning kicks all y'all's assesless_cunning kicks all y'all's assesless_cunning kicks all y'all's assesless_cunning kicks all y'all's assesless_cunning kicks all y'all's assesless_cunning kicks all y'all's assesless_cunning kicks all y'all's assesless_cunning kicks all y'all's assesless_cunning kicks all y'all's assesless_cunning kicks all y'all's asses
i think Raphael Siddiq wrote a song on "Brown Sugar," which is still my fav from him even though it sounds a bit dated now. but there are some stone-cold jamz on "Voodoo." i remember the studio documentary about the "Voodoo" sessions had Eric Clapton going apeshit when he was listening to it.
less_cunning is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth