Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The If Only [x] Was Their Final Album Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.25.2009, 05:48 PM   #81
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
My RYM review for Black and Blue, submitted for your entertainment:

I spoke recently with Keef regarding the release of Black & Blue, asking him why it had taken so long for the Stones to release the freaking thing after the last one. I remember him cupping one hand behind his neck, and saying, “Just a lot of things coming undone. I had this habit, you know, and then there was the thing with Mick Taylor leaving and all. I'm not saying this is any excuse, I'm just saying certain other things had priority, you know what I mean, man (cackle, cackle, hack, hack)." He went on to explain that Mick Jagger missed his hair appointment the day before the photo shoot, and that being the case, after expenses of flying in a new hair dresser from New York City, Ronnie got jealous and demanded he be given the salon treatment too. There would be no hair spray to be sprayed, though, and if they combed their hair themselves, then Keith told them they may just score a new set of glam clothes for the disco in Jamaica.

I went on to tell him that I'd been waiting months for the thing to come out and I didn't give a fuck about their haircuts or disco clothes or drug habits, which was not really true. I cared a lot back then about everything about the Stones, how they cut their hair, what clothes they wore, and what vein Keith used to shoot up.

Anyway, this wasn't the album I was expecting, I told Keith. Not by a long shot.

"(Cackle, cackle, hack) So," Keef goes, "you're thinking it was gonna be something really hot coming on the heels of the 1975 Tour of the Americas. Bet you even bought it on the day of its release."

"Yeah man," I say, shaking my head no to the proffered joint, "saw it was a gatefold cover, cool pics of the Stones where you could actually see them close up, right down to the hairs on Mick's head and the whiskers on your chin and Ronnie's chin. But what the fuck.
You guys look a little... disco? Sure enough. Hot Stuff. Ah, come on. But I listened and I dug it. And then I listened again, and didn't. Same with about every song on the record. Still feel that way. Sometimes the whole album hits me just right and I love it. Other times I can barely get through the third track."

"This is one you have to be in the mood for," Keef says. "Goes best with a balmy late spring night and chilling with some cheap swill. Beyond that, well, Hot Stuff can be hypnotic, and Charlie sounds like he's a 45 pistol. Hand of Fate is typical StonesalaBrownSugar. Cherry Oh is nice--light, but nice, like a nap in the summer sun. Memory Motel is less than what it seems, a rather cliched road song over a standard 50s rock ballad chord progression. Boring but somehow charming--"

"--yeah, especially when you sing your lines about how she's got a mind of her own and she use it well, mighty fine. I love that part, Keef."

"Thank you, mate."

'But, ah, Side 2. I hate it. Fool to Cry is okay, but so corny sometimes it makes me grind my teeth."

"So, (cough, hack, cackle), a generous three RYM stars for something that could have been great with a little more effort perhaps, better arrangements, more songs. IThat's what you're giving it? Well, probably more than we deserved really. Not many critics liked it. And we did just sort of slap it together. As I remember.

"Keith, I dunno, man. You gotta understand. I wanted to like it so much. I still want to. I still dig the cover, the recording charts on the inner sleeve, the moonlit night scene on the label, the disco-boys doing their sparkler letters inside the gatefold (I always believed each was spelling a letter of S T O N E--do you see it?)."

"You got that? Wow, man, you're like the only one. That's exactly what we were doing. Or trying to. Some of us (cackle) couldn't get it right, you know (cackle)."

"And that maybe there was a double meaning. You know, like you were saying you were all stoned when you were getting your photo done or something."

"Er, well, that may be reading too much into it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, man, come on, you think we were just some happy-go-lucky trippy Grateful Dead easy listening band for frat boys to get stoned to, man. We were the freaking Rolling Stones, mate."

"Yeah... . So, Black & Blue, Keef. Like, what was it all about."

"Hey, yeah, so, man, I'm sorry you don't like it more," Keef says, field shredding the end of his joint and tossing it to the Bahama breeze. "Another drink? Be right back. And hey, you know, those jeans you're wearing..."

Oh, shit, I'm thinking. I've heard nothing but a rash of shit ever since buying these damned Levis 511s Skinny fits. Iggy Pop, Mick Jagger. Who did I think I was, some aging old skinny Brit rocker.

"What, Keef?"

"Man... You rock them!!"
Old 04.25.2009, 05:48 PM   #82
Theremin
little trouble girl

Theremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
His lyrics were pretentious and preachy at times. He had some good moments. But overall he was just a dude who spoke about shit like he had seen it all, before he had seen it all. He's lucky he got to see it all.

As bad as some early beatles lyrics were, at least they were just singing about fucking on speed, it was legit, and didnt start getting all preachy until they did lsd in india.

Yeah, he did have some pretty preachy lyrics in his 1962-64 period.
Theremin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 05:52 PM   #83
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Desire is shit. It's fluff. There's nothing to it.
Old 04.25.2009, 05:56 PM   #84
sarramkrop

It couldn't get any better, a discussion about Bob Dylan that fails to find a group of posters unanimously agreeing that he's........
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 05:59 PM   #85
gmku
invito al cielo

He was only as great as his albums, and he wasn't very good on Desire. It's a fake-hippie album and I hate it.
Old 04.25.2009, 06:00 PM   #86
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 06:03 PM   #87
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Blonde on Blonde is quite simply one of those albums I could never imagine living without now. Up until Blonde on Blonde, there's basically no single person in the history of music I love as much as Dylan. For my money, the classic "electric trilogy" represents possibly the greatest trilogy of releases I've ever heard. The only competition is EVOL-Daydream, VU & Nico-VU and possibly Nick Drake's 3 albums.

The problem is that after that, I think he's released some great stuff, but it all just seems to be "another album that isn't as good as Blonde on Blonde or the albums that preceded it", and somehow it dims it. Oh, and he has released some real dreck. I have never enjoyed Desire at all really.

I would feel bad saying that I wish he'd stopped after BOB, because that would mean a lot of great music would never have been made, but on the other hand I would in some way find his discography more stunning to me as a whole if he'd died in that motorcycle crash in 1966. It'd be perfect. God, I feel awful saying that. There's some truth to it though.

So fuck it:

Sad-eyed lady of the lowlands,
Where the sad-eyed prophet says that no man comes,
My warehouse eyes, my Arabian drums,
Should I leave them by your gate,
Or, sad-eyed lady, should I wait?
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 06:06 PM   #88
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
It couldn't get any better, a discussion about Bob Dylan that fails to find a group of posters unanimously agreeing that he's........

a) the defining poet of the 20th-century
b) a wordsmith of insurmountable greatness
c) the very voice of angst for all generations
d) capable of subtleties hitherto unimagined
e) lyrically, the point at which rock n' roll grows up
f) vastly underrated as a musician
g) the definitive collapse of the hippy dream
h) rock n' roll's only ironist, subverting rock's artless wont...
i) the living embodiment of the American dream
j) a poodle

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 06:07 PM   #89
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
desire is excellent

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 06:11 PM   #90
gmku
invito al cielo

It's awful.
Old 04.25.2009, 06:18 PM   #91
Theremin
little trouble girl

Theremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard suckaTheremin cold hard sucka
Desire, while possibly not being his lyrical zenith, shows some great songwriting. Sara, Isis, Romance in Durango, ... they all rank among his best.
Old 04.25.2009, 06:20 PM   #92
gmku
invito al cielo

I agree there are some good songs. But as an album, it's a mess. And I hate Hurricane. You can literally hear the band getting ahead of the tempo, and Dylan doesn't do the bald political cause song very well. He's much better when he's ambiguous.
Old 04.25.2009, 06:27 PM   #93
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think Hurricane may very well be the most irritating song I've ever heard, and I'm fairly certain I only heard it once, 15 years ago. So that's fairly impressive, in a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 06:29 PM   #94
Theremin
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I agree there are some good songs. But as an album, it's a mess. And I hate Hurricane. You can literally hear the band getting ahead of the tempo
Aah, but this kind of improv-thing only stimulates the blissfully loose atmosphere.
Old 04.25.2009, 06:48 PM   #95
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I guess this means we won't be partying at dude's house
We were really gone
Parking on his lawn
We thought his parents wouldn't be back home till dawn
I guess this means we won't be hanging at dude's house
Soon the cops were there
We were throwin' chairs
Some dudes got caught cuz they fell down the stairs
I guess this means we won't be freaking at dude's house
We had a blast
But it didn't last
At least I got Sharon to sign my cast
I guess this means we won't be jamming at dude's house
Party got busted before his folks got back in town
I guess this means we won't be rocking at dude's hooooooouse
Every time we try to have fun
The man always brings me down!!!!!!!!!!!!
*drum solo*

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 06:49 PM   #96
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
fuck bob dylan
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 07:19 PM   #97
gmku
invito al cielo

"Only 60 days ago she was such a sweet young thing, and now look at her with a gun in her hands." Wm Randolph Hearst about his daughter Patsy after seeing her bank robber photos.
Old 04.25.2009, 07:29 PM   #98
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses

Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 10:08 PM   #99
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 10:18 PM   #100
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
all black flag albums rock
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth