Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the worst style of music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.16.2007, 04:32 PM   #121
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
geeez
Old 09.16.2007, 04:35 PM   #122
sarramkrop

Geez indeed. BNP cocks are the most painful to take in.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2007, 04:37 PM   #123
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
you got it all wrong...
house music is a pathetic joke and progressive house music is deluded fools not understanding the jokes on them.

I love that emperor's new clothes argument. It's a surefire way of convincing me that you have no idea about the music you're criticising. Big genre, house. Big genre, progressive house.

Y'know the scathing reviews of the SYR series? There was an NME one that said that SY were playing an elaborate joke on their long-standing fans.

But, as I've said before, it's a big whatever, essentially. If you don't like dancing (with your hips, legs, arms, not just moshing or headbangin) that's cool, not a huge problem, and you've got a lady, so it's really not a huge issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2007, 04:44 PM   #124
sarramkrop

Not to mention that house music DID have an impact on other genres, including rock music itself, to an extent. Hip Hop, Electronica etc are all genres that took some inspiration from it, at one point. It might not be your cup of tea, but that doesn't mean that it isn't worth it. And it also doesn't mean that rock fans can't appreciate stuff other than rock music itself. It's the tedious old argument between 'artificial' music and 'real' music. Tedious, very tedious.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2007, 04:51 PM   #125
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
"Commercial" house of the Ministry of Sound variety may well be a whole lotta yeech, but there's still plenty of tuneage from the likes of the Masters At Work school that's damn fine, not to mention many other fine practitioners.

Having said that, I still feel that funky house is in general a bunch of half-assed nonsense - like trying to make a new pudding out of bunging a cream cake and some ice-cream in a blender.
Old 09.16.2007, 04:59 PM   #126
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
What I like about house music is that, about once or twice a year, there'll be an absolutely stonker of a tune that I fall in love with that causes me to borrow the latest Ministry of Sound compilations and listen to them to death for a week until I get tired of it and then I go back to the usual miserablist, tuneless, monotonous bollocks that you can't dance to that constitutes my general listening habits.

I have to say, if someone were to say, "There is a lot of entirely shit house music", I couldn't possibly disagree. It's very much a social music, and I find it hard to understand unless I'm out dancing. Unlike 'singer-songwriters', however, a shit house tune ellicits a 'meh' response from me rather than a 'cunt the fuck off you hairless eunuch' reponse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2007, 05:20 PM   #127
sarramkrop

Converstaion that I've overheard on the bus this afternoon:

Girl - Yeah, she used to listen only to R&B, but now she only listens to Electro and House.

Boy: Yeah, she is strange like that. She told me that she is also into Indie. Indie is much better than R&B, now. R&B is the same stuff over and over, but Indie is great at the moment.

Girl: Yes, Indie is great at the moment.

Now, I think Indie has been crap for quite sometime, but I really like the fact that some kids can do genre-hopping just like that. The conversation went into a pretty generic discussion of the merits of
Rock and Hip Hop, that had them both agreeing that these genres stand out from the crowd. It's that type of open-mindedness that I like, regardless of the type of music that is being discussed.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2007, 06:34 PM   #128
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, here I believe that people who say "I listen to indie rock and some of the dance stuff that has a good beat to dance to" are essentially really limiting themselves in music, and thusly, their own well-being. It's a shame; a lot of people need talking to about it.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2007, 06:52 PM   #129
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it bores me to death. not because it is artificial but because it is dull
Old 09.16.2007, 06:57 PM   #130
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Kids here are all just "rap sux an dance muzic is ghay I only lissun to linkin park and greenday"
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2007, 08:30 PM   #131
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

Girl - Yeah, she used to listen only to R&B, but now she only listens to Electro and House.

Boy: Yeah, she is strange like that. She told me that she is also into Indie. Indie is much better than R&B, now. R&B is the same stuff over and over, but Indie is great at the moment.

Now, I think Indie has been crap for quite sometime, but I really like the fact that some kids can do genre-hopping just like that. The conversation went into a pretty generic discussion of the merits of
Rock and Hip Hop, that had them both agreeing that these genres stand out from the crowd. It's that type of open-mindedness that I like, regardless of the type of music that is being discussed.

Now, those people were probably going from Rhianna to Snow Patrol, from Beyonce to The Fratellis. Those are two hypothetical examples im going for, but "indie" and "RnB" doesnt really cross a big faultline at the minute, so i think youd find alot of kids who like bands that fit across that particular Venn diagram. And its never been any different, really.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2007, 08:34 PM   #132
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
The emmy's are on right now. Question answered, mostly.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2007, 09:29 PM   #133
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

indie can be defined in a lot of different ways but now what i think of as indie, the shit being released these days...is terrible
Old 09.17.2007, 03:20 AM   #134
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Now, those people were probably going from Rhianna to Snow Patrol, from Beyonce to The Fratellis. Those are two hypothetical examples im going for, but "indie" and "RnB" doesnt really cross a big faultline at the minute, so i think youd find alot of kids who like bands that fit across that particular Venn diagram. And its never been any different, really.
Yeah, I understand what you mean, and it's not as if this genre-hopping is a new thing at all. That's something that's been happening for years, not just now. It was only a random example to dispel the myth of this forum as being a particularly open minded one when it comes to music, which in fact it isn't. I tell you what, as a matter of fact I find some posters on this place repugnantly ignorant about music in general, not just house music. Beat me for it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth